Normal operating temp?

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just looking for some input on this. Ambient temp outside was 8C and after a long jaunt on the highway, 110km/h, no headwind and the scanner is showing 86C. I am wondering if that is low or perhaps normal considering the lower ambient? Winter is coming and I need to plan out all the repairs I need to get done. thanks!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: That's 187°F. Your thermostat is stuck open. Mine is doing the same thing but it gets to 195°F. You really should be at about 210°F or about 99°C.

I think I used a Stant last time so I'm going with an AC Delco this time.

thebat

May 14, 2017
New England
My temp with scanner never goes above 190 F. It bounces around from 180F to (rarely) 190. But the gauge does seem to follow what the scanner reads, slightly left of center, about 180 to slightly right, about 190.
Does this mean the the ECT sensor is good and stat is a little open? I'd really like this TB to rum at 200F, is there a thermostat that runs a little hotter?

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks for the input! I will be looking to do the stat soon then. It appears much easier to change then the temp sensor...

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
My temp with scanner never goes above 190 F. It bounces around from 180F to (rarely) 190. But the gauge does seem to follow what the scanner reads, slightly left of center, about 180 to slightly right, about 190.
Does this mean the the ECT sensor is good and stat is a little open? I'd really like this TB to rum at 200F, is there a thermostat that runs a little hotter?

I believe our thermostats are about 192° but you should be seeing 203°-212° at operating temp. I'd say yours is stuck open as well. I know mines gone bad because I'm getting crap mileage again. I usually average 16-17mpg despite being lifted, but with the truck running colder I'm getting about 14mpg.

thebat

May 14, 2017
New England
I should have added that I got the low coolant temp CEL a couple of times in the last 4-6 weeks. I guess that Makes it a slam dunk for a new stat. I'd still like to know if there are higher temp stats out there for purchase.

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
For our platform, I don't think there is.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The T stat and temp sensor (may as well do this when the coolant is drained) from the local dealer is 126 tax in for both. Steep. Rockauto has both with shipping... for 67. Plus add some taxes, additional shipping in Canada, maybe some brokerage fees and I peg the bill at about 100$. Got some shopping around to do.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My personal recommendation is ACDelco for both. I had put a Stant and found it low. Replaced it with ACDelco, and was up where it should be.

Copy and paste the part numbers from RA into Amazon Canada. Sometimes it can be surprising the deals that can be had there.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I took a look at t he location again of the sensor...... WTF. One of the coolant hard lines for the heater core I am guessing is right there and not going to be fun. Perhaps I may forgo this one for the time being. Sweet baby Jesus is that a bad location.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
06+ yeah they moved it from a blah location to a total crap location.

thebat

May 14, 2017
New England
I went with the AC Delco replacement for stat and sensor. I'm glad I did, no more bouncing around. Gauge goes a bit past vertical to the right and stays there. I check with scanner and temp is about 198 to 203. I'm liking it although I haven't noticed a performance or mileage increase. Heater throws out warmer air though!

One thing that might be of interest to some. With the old stat and sensor and using a scanner, the temp gauge was vertical at about 185 and a bit right of it at 190.
Now, at vertical it is 198 and 203 a bit right of it. Is this cause by the new sensor?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nah. The gauge in the dash is a guess. The PCM adds filtering to avoid people getting concerned unless it gets really hot.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Among the many other GM 4.2L Image Albums that are available... Here are some side-by-side image comparisons I shot of the Stant vs. the OEM AC-Delco Thermostats and stored on my Photobucket. These include the Box Ends for Part Number referencing when seeking to buy either one brand or the other. The odds are always in favor of choosing and using AC-Delco or Delphi Parts over anything else being offered for the GM 4.2L Engine Platform:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60...ZERENGINEREPAIR/GM42LTHERMOSTAT?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikosintie

Members Online