Noise after changing transfer case fluid

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. Would like to ask about a weird noise I encountered after changing the transfer case fluid last weekend. I changed it normally opening the fill plug, emptying the old fluid using the drain plug, capping it to the proper torque spec and then putting in just over 2 quarts of AutoTrak II fluid until it started pouring out before closing it.

Because I read that after driving it may require me to put in some more fluid and also as a test, I started the engine and allowed the wheels to spin around 5-10 mph in reverse (the car was on four jackstands under the frame) I heard noise similar to no fluid in the transfer case. Interestingly enough after a couple tries lifting off the brake I shifted into drive and let them move again forward. No noise. I was not able to reproduce the problem going back into reverse in two or four wheel drive. I have not noticed any issues driving it this past week.

Could this be an issue or could any damage have been done spinning the wheels at idle speed with otherwise no load on them? Could something have been starved of fluid even with it full? Afterward I went back and added a couple more ounces of fluid and closed it back up. This is like the 2nd or 3rd fluid change in 56k miles so the old fluid was still blue. I change it more often then required because of the sensitivity of the transfer case clutches. Thanks

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How long did the noise last when you first heard It?

Only thing that comes to mind without hearing it, is the gears had the fluid run off of them when the unit was drained.

Then when you rotate the insides, the gear teeth picked up the new fluid taking up the small amount of lash in the gears.

Could be a bearing that gets lubricated after the fluid gets moving around.

Hard to say, haven't seen inside these cases.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would not worry about it myself. Run it a bit and exercise it, then check the fluid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online