No Reverse, all other gears work, Taking it to the transmission shop

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Mostly just a rant, I checked everything mentioned on this forum and from the LS1tech forum. The transmission has to come out. 2007 Trailblazer LS, 4.2, 4x4, G80 locker. 180,878 miles. On Thursday I pulled into a parking space to get groceries, 5 minutes later I tried backing out and I had no reverse. I bought the truck September 24th 2017 with 139,362 from a dealership. All forward gears work fine, no noises, no catastrophic failure. Just working one minute and not working the next. The only fluid that has not been changed since I bought it was the transmission (I just did the front/rear differential, and transfer case two weeks ago). Besides the transmission the truck is in mint condition. I am calling a transmission shop tomorrow to see when I can take it in. Hopefully I can get a re-manufactured transmission or mine rebuilt for under 4k. I am hoping to get another 5 years out of it before the rust takes over. I have done all the work up to this point, including the power steering rack, lower control arms, all new suspension, and brakes.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
In case the shop price is too high. Where could I reliably order a transmission from? Jasper only sells to certified shops. I am sure I could do the R&R but locating a good transmission seems to be elusive.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I don't have any answers to your problem... :-( BUT when you put it in reverse, do your back up lights come on? I ask this simple question as I am wondering if the transmission switch has an issue although it seems unlikely that is the source of your issue as the shift is mechanical, I think.... but maybe there is a bit more electronic control than I envisage.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
I don't have any answers to your problem... :-( BUT when you put it in reverse, do your back up lights come on? I ask this simple question as I am wondering if the transmission switch has an issue although it seems unlikely that is the source of your issue as the shift is mechanical, I think.... but maybe there is a bit more electronic control than I envisage.
Yes the backup lights came on and so did my backup camera.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
I found a reman at Summit racing and Jegs.com. I will wait and see what the shop says. Funny enough I can still drive it to work and to pick up my daughter from school.I usually MtBike to work Everyday.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Spoke with the Transmission shop this morning. I am going to drop it off next week and they are going to rebuild the transmission. I haven't discussed price yet.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Two quotes, two different shops for $3800-4k. One is for a Jasper reman the other is rebuilding the transmission. I couldn't find a vehicle in this condition for that price, so it's getting fixed.

Sneakycyber

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
I got my Trailblazer back from the Transmission shop today. With a new "The Beast" Sun shell, upgraded and replaced clutches, new fluid, new filter, RR on the transmission. Total out the door was $3749.41

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrose907

Members Online