No power.. Engine Rpm surging

fireman4215

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I have a 2004 Chevy trailblazer with 200k on the clock. It recently started with the rpms surging when getting up to speed and just has absolutely no power it has to say in 3rd gear to maintain speed at highway speeds. No SES codes, all the fluids are maintained regularly, throttle body is cleaned regularly.I am about to replace the spark plugs this weekend the spark plugs have 80k on them. I am wondering if the spark plugs needing change is causing the engine to surge and have no power like it is.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
This sounds more like other drivetrain components to me IE transmission, transfer case etc.

Sounds when my old blazer had slipping issues.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
fireman4215 said:
I have a 2004 Chevy trailblazer with 200k on the clock. It recently started with the rpms surging when getting up to speed and just has absolutely no power it has to say in 3rd gear to maintain speed at highway speeds. No SES codes, all the fluids are maintained regularly, throttle body is cleaned regularly.I am about to replace the spark plugs this weekend the spark plugs have 80k on them. I am wondering if the spark plugs needing change is causing the engine to surge and have no power like it is.

I would say plugs is a great place to start. Mine had the surging with so ses i had a line of carbon on #3 plug which was causing it to misfire if yours has the carbon track on it you will need a new boot as well.

fireman4215

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
jham said:
I would say plugs is a great place to start. Mine had the surging with so ses i had a line of carbon on #3 plug which was causing it to misfire if yours has the carbon track on it you will need a new boot as well.

Ok I am going to replace all the plugs and the boots tomorrow. I will look for the carbon track while Im replacing them.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i wouldnt rule out a clogged cat either...

this just happened to my daily driver (2001 Grand Prix GT).. absolutely no power at any rpm... when i floored it, trans would slip all over the place... slight sputtering... took it to the dealer, and a clogged cat was the culprit..

fireman4215

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i wouldnt rule out a clogged cat either...

this just happened to my daily driver (2001 Grand Prix GT).. absolutely no power at any rpm... when i floored it, trans would slip all over the place... slight sputtering... took it to the dealer, and a clogged cat was the culprit..

Pulled the plugs and still ran the same. So next was the cat, removed the catalytic converter and bam just like that my engine ran like normal.. :wootwoot:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
fireman4215 said:
Pulled the plugs and still ran the same. So next was the cat, removed the catalytic converter and bam just like that my engine ran like normal.. :wootwoot:

Where did you get a replacement catalytic converter, and what did it cost you?

Also, any idea why the old one failed?

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

fireman4215

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
n0kfb said:

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

For now I just put a piece of pipe in place of the catalytic converter. Im leaving for basic in a week so Im gonna order at new cat and put it on after i get back from basic.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
damn im good :crackup::rotfl:

its amazing what that piece of equipment can do when it fails... i thought i lost my tranny in my DD... damn emissions :rotfl: glad you got it figured out...

if it were me, just like i just did on my DD, i wouldnt go universal... things might not line up right, and some modification might need to be done.. this is why i went with GM replacement.. everything lined right back up.. and it was only like $30 more for GM over universal from the local auto parts store..

and its just hit or miss with that stuff.. mine lasted 126,xxx miles on a 11 year old car.. and ive read that others have gone in a matter of years...

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Keep an eye on your gas mileage and oil level. A sudden plugging of the cat could indicate a leak.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
Well take off ur top o2 sensor on the manifold and see if that improves ur power.

If it does.
Replace the cat ASAP or it WILL crack the exhaust manifold.

If it doesn't.
Check other components that where posted.

When my cat clogged up. I had no power tranny wouldn't shift etc etc.

It was due to a bad thermostat and I had to replace the thermostat and temp sensor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger