SOLVED! No DRL?

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I am puzzled. My 2003 Envoy XL has no daytime running lights. My headlamp switch does not have a setting on the switch to deactivate them (only has three settings, -off, parking, and on - which is not what it shows in my manual). I can't remember ever noticing if they were ever on.

Does that mean that I never had them (because the switch is different). Or is there something wrong with the system?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That would be unique to say the least. Can you get a pic of your headlight switch?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I just had a look at several owners manuals and discovered differences, at least per the manuals. I have an 02 TrailBlazer and it has the DRLs and also a defeat option that is enabled by pressing the dome light button four times. All these years I thought they all had that. No? Not per the manuals. Maybe that was one of those 02 unicorn things?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah the tapping of the dome light button was for the DRLs. Toggling the headlight switch to the left of "auto" was to turn off the auto headlights and running lights.

Reactions: TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
can't remember ever noticing if they were ever on.

It is my understanding that they only come on when the transmission is not in park and also the parking brake is off. If this is true the only time you would see them is if someone else is in the drivers seat?

Reactions: linneje

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Your switch is likely the same as Canada's with no option to switch off the DRL or auto-headlight. Doesn't Europe have the same DRL and headlight requirements as Canada?

Reactions: linneje

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I didn't know about the tapping of the dome to defeat the DRL. I also don't know if they only come on when it is not in park. I will have to check into this and repost.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I attached a picture of the switch. Today I do have daytime running lights. Yesterday we had a snowstorm we were digging out from, and I did not. I didn't trust my memory, so I wasn't certain that the DRLs worked.

So now the puzzle is why they weren't working yesterday. I noticed because I had no taillights in the swirling snow. I will have to keep checking.

Attachments

• IMAG0198-20201110-170452714.jpg
    IMAG0198-20201110-170452714.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 14

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
From your 2003 Envoy Owners Manual.

"When the DRL are on, only your headlamps will be on. The taillamps, sidemarker and other lamps won’t be on. The instrument panel won’t be lit up either"

Screenshot_20201110-173403.png

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's pretty much like our switches here. In the O position, it's automatic DRL and headlights according to the light sensor on top of the dashboard. Early years, the DRL or headlights (if dark out) would come one as soon as the engine was running. Later years, like my '07, they don't come one until it's put in gear. They cannot be turned off no matter what.

Have you checked your fuses and relay/module? You can swap the relays between the fan and headlights.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I have it figured out now. You were all correct, you can't shut them off. And they only come on when you are no longer in park. And there are no tail lights with the DRL.

I have (in my opinion) a really insensitive light sensor, as I was driving around the last few days in daytime, gloomy snowy conditions, and the automatic headlamps were on. Not the DRLs.

I can get the DRLs on by putting a light on the sensor, and verified they come on when I get out of park. The other day when I had it parked, yes we were driving through a couple of feet of snow after our storm,but it was bright, so the DRLs were active. But in park they went off, and I didn't realize how it worked.

Thanks, everyone for the help. You would think after owning the vehicle for 10 years I would have it all figured out by now.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
On my truck, when I turn on my wipers (not mist, but on), the head lights also turn on. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm gonna have to test that on both of mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online