No AWD or 4HI

Jonbussie

Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
When I try to switch to AWD or 4HI I hear the axle actuator motor working and lights on the switch show that mode has change to desire setting but the front tires are not engaging. I tested it tonight on a snowy uphill driveway. No four wheel drive. Any ideas?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
When was the last time that you know that it worked? It could possibly be your TCCM. I hope that you have kept up on the transfer fluid changes at 50K intervals.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: Being an 02, I'd suspect the TCCM.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Almost certainly a mechanical failure in the front axle disconnect. TCCM failures have different behavior of the mode switch and "service 4wd" lights.

Jonbussie

Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Hey roadie. How would I go about diagnosing the mechanical failure in the front axle disconnect?

Jonbussie

Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I know it worked last winter. The service 4wd drive light briefly came on when I tried to switch to 4wd. I pulled over, shut the vehicle off. When I turned it back on the service light was off

Jonbussie

Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I replaced the transfer case last year. A new differential was installed 2 years ago

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can get either one, there is no preferred one that I know of. It is just being able to get your hands on one.

Jonbussie

Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I've changed the differential seal on the drivers side before but the not differential bearing. Is this a difficult task if the bearing is indeed bad?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online

No members online now.