New to the site, quick maintenance question.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi all,
Just joined and I am looking forward to being a part of the community. Just picked up an 03 Envoy SLT 7pass. Really like it so far. Took care of the most annoying thing so far, rear door speakers that didn't work :wink:

Truck just had an oil change, trans flush and filter, diff fluids drained and replaced. It runs great, but I am wondering if there is other maintenance I should perform, or something I should be checking over as preventative maintenance?

Last thing, rear backup lights leave little to be desired. What is the preferred upgrade that an average Joe can install?

Thanks!
Adam

Jul 24, 2012
Welcome!

What's your mileage?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mandatory link (mandatory for me to post, your option to read, explains the beginnings of the site) http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

Knowing your mileage would help us greatly in suggesting things to change. We're sticklers for not shotgunning parts that are still perfectly good :thumbsup: unless it's something that can be a combo-job or something that is highly suggested to do, like if you're replacing the ECT sensor do the thermostat and vice-versa.

A member was looking at changing to the Envoy XUV backup lamps as they have clear lenses, but it turns out the dimensions of the lights don't work out. I believe Envoy_04 did an LED upgrade on the backup lamps, take a look at the http://gmtnation.com/f33/led-mod-thread-944/, plenty of ideas, part numbers, how-tos and the like. Plus if you're not sure, you can always ask there!

If you don't have a scan tool, it's heavily suggested you get one. With a vehicle like this where there's literally hundreds of codes that can turn on the Check Engine Light, a hundred-dollar tool like I have pays for itself within 2-3 code read/clears as compared to taking it to the shop. Or if you have an Android phone, look up Torque Pro and ELM327 using the search function here. Torque Pro is a $5 scan tool app for Android, and the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II connector can be had for $10-20 on eBay, and for a total of $25 max you can have a scan tool at least on par with tools in the $100-200 range.

If you're ever looking for part numbers, I'm usually pretty decent at scrounging them up depending on what it is. And remember - use Genuine GM or ACDelco for engine stuff like ignition coils! It doesn't always pay to save a few bucks when you're blowing even more money replacing the crappy aftermarket replacement. The engine knows, man, I don't know how but it does. Engine-critical components should always be replaced with an OEM part.

And don't be afraid to take pictures! It could be of your ride, or pictures of repair work, we love all that stuff.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Welcome to the site!:cool:

I replaced the backup lights with LEDs. It made a world of difference.:yes:

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks so much for the quick replies. Excellent information already.

Can't believe I didn't mention the mileage in my original post. Here is the thing: seller claimed truck has 151,000km (94,000mi)on it. He swapped out the gauge cluster, so my actual odometer says 253,000km(157,000). Is this possible or sound like a load of BS? I thought BCM would dictate mileage, not the cluster itself.

So, to err on the side of caution, I will treat its maintenance schedule as if it has 253,000km.

Thanks!
Adam

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
NT1078 said:
Is this possible or sound like a load of BS? I thought BCM would dictate mileage, not the cluster itself.

Yeah it's possible. Lower mileage clusters are getting harder to come by.:frown:

Odometer

The IPC calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the PCM. The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer displays either miles or kilometers as requested by the activation of the Personalization button on the steering wheel controls.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
NT1078 said:
Hi all,
Just joined and I am looking forward to being a part of the community. Just picked up an 03 Envoy SLT 7pass. Really like it so far. Took care of the most annoying thing so far, rear door speakers that didn't work :wink:

Truck just had an oil change, trans flush and filter, diff fluids drained and replaced. It runs great, but I am wondering if there is other maintenance I should perform, or something I should be checking over as preventative maintenance?

Last thing, rear backup lights leave little to be desired. What is the preferred upgrade that an average Joe can install?

Thanks!
Adam
Did you also change the transfer case fluid?

Welcome!

Jared

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
jsheahawk said:
Did you also change the transfer case fluid?

Welcome!

Jared

Good point :thumbsup: As The Roadie reminds us, the interval change is every 50,000 miles. Since you are close to the 100k miles, time for plugs, AC Delco 41-103. Any issues with the fan clutch or water pump?

Like May03LT mentioned, LEDs are a good option when upgrading incandescent bulb. HIDs will also be an upgrade with your headlights as well.

Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
dmanns67 said:
Good point :thumbsup: As The Roadie reminds us, the interval change is every 50,000 miles. Since you are close to the 100k miles, time for plugs, AC Delco 41-103. Any issues with the fan clutch or water pump?

Like May03LT mentioned, LEDs are a good option when upgrading incandescent bulb. HIDs will also be an upgrade with your headlights as well.

Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup:
Seriously. Only 41-103's. The engine just knows if you use something else.

Jared

Jul 24, 2012
NT1078 said:
Here is the thing: seller claimed truck has 151,000km (94,000mi)on it. He swapped out the gauge cluster, so my actual odometer says 253,000km(157,000). Is this possible or sound like a load of BS?

Speaking as a reformed used car salesman, I'd figure on the 253K unless you can get the PCM to tell you otherwise.

How do you know a car salesman is lying?

His lips are moving

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
6716 said:
Speaking as a reformed used car salesman, I'd figure on the 253K unless you can get the PCM to tell you otherwise.

How do you know a car salesman is lying?

His lips are moving

:biggrin:
That was a good one!!
So I looked at the maintenance invoice the guy gave me with the truck. It had the transfer case fluid & rear diff fluid changed. Front diff, not sure so I will do it myself.

I was wrong on my above post on what the actual odometer is reading. It says 235,000km, which is 146,000mi.

If I hook a Tech II or scanner of some sort to it, will that tell me its true mileage just to satisfy my curiosity??

BTW: I have been looking around on the site! I really like it! Thanks for supplying such an excellent resource!

Adam

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Welcome to The Nation :2thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
NT1078 said:
If I hook a Tech II or scanner of some sort to it, will that tell me its true mileage just to satisfy my curiosity??

No dice with the tech2, or the snap on modis or verus. I've tried.:frown:

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Oh! Another quick question, if I may: Are exterior doors interchangable between Trailblazers & Envoys? I have a massive dent in my passenger door so I am just looking at options.

Thanks!
Adam

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
NT1078 said:
Are exterior doors interchangable between Trailblazers & Envoys?
No, different sheet metal and possibly different glass.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I skimmed the post. I didn't see coolant on there.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Welcome to the Nation!

Your post looks very familiar (like I read it at voy). Good to see you here, you're gonna love it!

:cool:

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Good point on the coolant. I don't know when it was replaced, so I will replace it. Is Dexcool the preferred coolant? I used to have a Bonneville and Dexcool was very evil for intake gaskets.

OOH! And I have progress! I have managed to bang the majority of the dent out of my passenger door. It was a big one, but most of it popped out when I put a suction type dent puller on it. Then I took the interior panel off and pushed out the rest to the best of my ability. Will post pics of this, my body gut at work is going to finish it up for me!

Cheers,
Adam

Jul 24, 2012
NT1078 said:
Is Dexcool the preferred coolant?

Dexcool 50/50 with distilled (seems to be the "err-on-the-side-of-caution" consensus) water.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
If you switch from dexcool make sure you get 100% of the dexcool out or deposits of black shit will form in the rad and may be plug something up.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
NT1078 said:
:biggrin:
That was a good one!!
So I looked at the maintenance invoice the guy gave me with the truck. It had the transfer case fluid & rear diff fluid changed. Front diff, not sure so I will do it myself.

I was wrong on my above post on what the actual odometer is reading. It says 235,000km, which is 146,000mi.

BTW: I have been looking around on the site! I really like it! Thanks for supplying such an excellent resource!

Adam

I swapped out the instrument cluster on my sons Saturn, and the mileage stayed the same from the car. Not sure if all a GM vehicles store the mileage the same way, but I would seriously question it.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
More progress! This morning I fixed a non functioning license plate lamp. Here I thought it would be a nice easy fix, but the bulb had other plans for me by disintegrating leaving shards of remains in the socket. Had to get my little pick out to pull out the rest of it, then bend the prongs out to accept the new bulb. Success! Next: Non functioning reverse lamp. One works, the other don't and its not a simple bulb...

Cheers,
Adam

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Good thing your license plate bulb was just a bulb. I tried the new bulb trick. Nope. Checked voltage - no dice. So now I get to chase the wiring through the rubber boot. Yay!

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
C-ya said:
Good thing your license plate bulb was just a bulb. I tried the new bulb trick. Nope. Checked voltage - no dice. So now I get to chase the wiring through the rubber boot. Yay!
Dig deep into that boot. I only gave it a cursory look in there the first time and missed it. That boot is pretty full of wires and a hose. Shooting a little lubricant down there helps to get some motion in there. Cue the jokes!

Jared

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Attachments

• 47865731.jpg
    47865731.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 11

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
jsheahawk said:
I was expecting more about lube. You should have read Wyatt I originally wrote. Tight. Lube. Hole. Shove. It was bad.

Jared

...Not to mention penetrating oil, heh heh. Newbie humor.:crazy:

Hmm, about the maintenance, some fluids were mentioned that I don't know if they were changed recently, so I think I will get at it if the damn weather ever decides to improve here in southern Ontario. Thanks for the reminders on those.

I have noticed funny noise the truck makes at idle. Usually at the drive through. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like someone is quietly playing a cowbell under the hood (cue Christopher Walken & Will Ferrell) It almost sounds like a relay clicking. I will try to get some video / audio of it tomorrow. Not worried too much about it, more curious than anything..

Adam

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
The_Roadie said:
Sometimes the best humor is NOT taking the obvious bait.

Uh, huh, huh, huh. He said "bate". BOINNGGG!

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Alright! More progress! I now have two functioning reverse lamps, but man they are pretty dim. Anxiously awaiting my LED bulbs to show up. Will post some pics after the door is fixed up. I gotta say it looks much better now that I pushed the dent out, but it will be much better once it is smoothed out more and painted!

Adam

Reactions: 04xuv

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.