New tire carrier

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
So i got a custom built tire carrier built that goes into my hidden hitch. It has a license plate mount that sits bumper height and since we incorporated the extended conversion hitch i had for my bike rack, i can still use my bike rack with the tire carrier. Pics will come tomorrow since i have to paint it still.

But good news is, i went to the wrecker today i found stock roof rack cross bars and new glass for the hatch with working pistons. (Mine is scratched to hell from last owner) all for $35.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Pics? [tap....tap....tappity tap...] :wink:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
no-pics.gif

That's cheap for rear glass. Best I could ever find was $300+ to replace mine (bad defogger).

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Ya the girl said all glass was 50% off. I asked her what the glass would cost before i took it off, she said $50 and the entire roof rack was $40. So i don't know where her math went.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
The bed liner paint is drying. So this is all you get right now. I will be wiring up the license plate light and mounting the tire and plate on tomorrow. My bike rack is holding it up so it can dry.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks pretty well built. Congrats on the mod!

How are you running lights for the plate? I kept mine on the hatch so I could just jump the light wires over.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Gonna tap into the trailer lights wiring harness. I cant use the hatch wiring. You'll see when i have it installed as to why that wont work for me.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know why. I had one or two like that in my day and never put the plate on it for that reason. I did not want to use the trailer harness since I have it hidden up the frame most times so i dont rip it off when offroad. I just used a trailer bracket inside the rear glass and ran the lights over.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Well the light they gave me only has a power wire on it and i cant get it to ground properly. So i need to get a better light and maybe just use a trailer harness since i never pull a trailer

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The back glass opening was one of my things to keep with the rear bumper. Definitely a plus!

I think the wire from the mounting bolt may be the ticket as well.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
It's a bracket. I dont like the light that much anyhow. Its bulky.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Good to place the tire so you can open the rear glass. I put mine to the driver's side to maximize my rearward visibility, but mine swings away. Assuming you're going to have the same receiver-based wiggle-rattle - let us know if you have an innovative way to quiet that interface down.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I think i may just put some black foamy in the hitch to reduce wiggle.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used thin plastic as a wedge

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I've heard of guys using steel cable, loop bolts, and inline tensioners. They drill and tap the loop bolts midway up the carrier and use jam nuts on them, then using cable clamps and hooks run a piece of cable to the chain loops on the receiver. Once you put it on just hook the cables to the receiver and you just spin the tensioner in to tighten it up on both sides so it won't move. Looked like a good idea to me?

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Thats hard to picture.

Actually i dont even notice any noise on city or hwy. But once my bikes are on then it will move more.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
I've heard of guys using steel cable, loop bolts, and inline tensioners. They drill and tap the loop bolts midway up the carrier and use jam nuts on them, then using cable clamps and hooks run a piece of cable to the chain loops on the receiver. Once you put it on just hook the cables to the receiver and you just spin the tensioner in to tighten it up on both sides so it won't move. Looked like a good idea to me?
Kills the folding aspect of the carrier. Plus if you look how close it is to the bumper, you could not do that anyway.

On my Burban I just drilled n tapped a 3/8 bolt hole in the bottom of the reciever and used a bolt to stop movement. I never bothered on the TB cause a couple thin plastic wedges took out almost all movement and noise.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What?

EDIT:

So you mean from the horizontal part that slides in the receiver, back to the chain loops, with a turnbuckle.

Kinda triangulating and pulling the horizontal down which should take out most up/down and side to side movement. I can dig it.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
What?

EDIT:

So you mean from the horizontal part that slides in the receiver, back to the chain loops, with a turnbuckle.

Kinda triangulating and pulling the horizontal down which should take out most up/down and side to side movement. I can dig it.
Yes that's what I meant. Sorry I have been busy at work today lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online