New rims, shaking over 65?

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I just put rims and tires on two weeks ago and never took It highway. had to go somewhere other day and hit about 65 and started to get shaking? tires are in decent shape two have signs of they weren't rotated. Tires need to be balanced or alignment? Both?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Sounds to me like they need to be balanced.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Canary2323 said:
I just put rims and tires on two weeks ago and never took It highway. had to go somewhere other day and hit about 65 and started to get shaking? tires are in decent shape two have signs of they weren't rotated. Tires need to be balanced or alignment? Both?
From what you said, I'll assume these were used tires & rims? And you never had the balance checked before putting them on?:undecided:

That would be the first thing I'd do. And make sure all the old wheel weights are removed first. While the tire/rim are on the balancer, have the tech check them for being out-of-round too.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah they were used, rims are perfect no scuffs nothing, but tires showed signs of wear. Hindsight I should have balanced before u put on. Going to try tomorrow, anyone know how much it cost?

SHILOW

Mar 29, 2012
I noticed that you also have a thread asking about wheel spacers.
If your spacers are not hub/wheel centric you could get a wobble from that as well.
I would try to back-off on the lug nuts, lift the truck, and retighten the lug nuts using a star pattern.
Maybe one of your wheels isn't seated correctly.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If the tires are worn uneven...it wont matter if you balance them. They will have issues until you wear them flat.

Feb 24, 2012
I see you are in RI. If you are heading north of Boston anytime soon I have my own balancer at home and we can look for out of roundness etc, in case you get frustrated w your local tire shop. Centering rings are important too. Look up your wheel type/manufacturer and they should list centering rings for it.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
If the tires are worn uneven...it wont matter if you balance them. They will have issues until you wear them flat.

I agree the only thing you could try is getting a road force balance done

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
also with the wheel spacers, there are some little washer type clips on a couple of studs for the rotors. I understand that while they don't interfere with factory rims, they may prevent wheel spacers from seating properly which could cause your problem as well.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks guys, I bought the hub centric adapters so they seem to fit good. I had my front two tires balanced one was good one was off balance. Took it for a test drive and seemed better, I'll update later when try out on highway.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Did you remove the two metal clips on each rotor? Factory wheels have a recess for those clips and aftermarket wheels do not and will make the wheel not sit correctly.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Hhhm. Not sure had them put on at local customs shop, I'll have to ask. I'll let you know. Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Here's what it should look like without clips. They interfere with all wheel spacers/adapters, and (I think) all aftermarket rims if put on without spacer/adapters. Only needed for GM's convenience on the assembly line, and can be safely discarded.

Hubcentric spacers are still flat on the back and depend on the flat surface friction to the rotor to resist rotational forces.

diskclip.jpg

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
I see you are in RI. If you are heading north of Boston anytime soon I have my own balancer at home and we can look for out of roundness etc, in case you get frustrated w your local tire shop. Centering rings are important too. Look up your wheel type/manufacturer and they should list centering rings for it.
Thanks for offering might look you up if can't get it worked out. :smile: I'm about due/overdue to see my family in Worcester.

the roadie said:
Here's what it should look like without clips. They interfere with all wheel spacers/adapters, and (I think) all aftermarket rims if put on without spacer/adapters. Only needed for GM's convenience on the assembly line, and can be safely discarded.

Hubcentric spacers are still flat on the back and depend on the flat surface friction to the rotor to resist rotational forces.

diskclip.jpg

Thanks roadie going to call shop in the morning and ask if they took off. I was starting to run out of options already had Tire balanced and alignment done, hate to have to go back to my stock rims. I update later. Thanks again.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
the roadie said:

diskclip.jpg

i've got wheels being shipped to me as we speak, I'll make sure my shop knows to remove those clips. Are they on all 4 wheels and easy to identify? And how do you remove them?

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
BINGA said:
i've got wheels being shipped to me as we speak, I'll make sure my shop knows to remove those clips. Are they on all 4 wheels and easy to identify? And how do you remove them?

I've never checked the rear rotors, but when I did a brake job recently on the front of my truck, they were on two of the studs on each side. I just used a pair of pliers to twist them off. I am sure you can use a pair of diagonal cutters and cut them off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.