New Plow, Spring Sag

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I just installed a Western Suburbanite 6'8'' plow on my trailblazer. The plow (200lbs) dropped the front end 1.5'' The plow blade sits about 6'' off the ground. I was thinking spacers to raise it up, but I bought a set of moog 81114 (comparable to "86" front springs) Do you think I will still need spacers? Will the 1'' of lift the new springs provide be enough? I was looking for a 1'' front spacer, but Markmc nor bdx make the small spacers. I would hate to uninstall and reinstall the strut twice.

View attachment 23180

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 13

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would do both the springs and a 1" spacer. SuspensionMAXX makes three different thicknesses including 1". I also have one or two extra sets of those in my garage and can make you a good deal.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wonder how well that will work. The manual mentions specifically to not use plows on them.

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I suppose that 1'' front spacer and new front springs would put me at a factory rake. (z71 rears w/BDS5500) I think I will do both, if I hate it in the summer, I will take the spacer out.

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
Wonder how well that will work. The manual mentions specifically to not use plows on them.

Im just doing a few driveways and such. Nothing big or commercial. I agree these trucks are not designed for plowing, but it was a good deal and a easy way to make money on the side. It's a lightweight plow and I take care of my truck. Fully boxed frame, new splined disconnect, etc; should be fine.

Jul 24, 2012
tblazerdude said:
Im just doing a few driveways and such. Nothing big or commercial. I agree these trucks are not designed for plowing, but it was a good deal and a easy way to make money on the side. It's a lightweight plow and I take care of my truck. Fully boxed frame, new splined disconnect, etc; should be fine.

I was considering adding a plow for the same reasons you mentioned, but believed what I read in the manual. At the moment I'm glad I didn't put money into a plow last year, since there was no snow. They say a light winter this year, though last year they predicted a lot of snow and there wasn't any, so we'll probably be buried this year.

What was you experience with the install? Where did you get it? What did it set you back?

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Found the plow on Craigslist, it was 3 years old and spent the entirety of it's life on another trailblazer. $1500 took it home but I still needed a ($200) controller and a new($300) truck side mount, since the mounts seize to the truck. It was really easy to install. I did it in a buddy's shop using his tools, his lift, and his help for $300. Drill 4 holes in frame, hook up some connectors and you're all set.

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks to Roadie's help I installed my new Moog 81114 front springs, and a set of 1'' spacers. The lift was more than I expected, but so far I like it. It really leveled out the truck with the Z71 rears. The combination raised the truck about 4''. In the picture it is now sitting at 36'' from ground to fender. Previous I was at 32.5''

View attachment 23573
View attachment 23574
View attachment 23575
View attachment 23576

While I was at it I replaced my outter tierods, the drivers side stud was bent. Then I went for new tires and and an alignment.

Attachments

• withtape.jpg
    withtape.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 6
  • notape.jpg
    notape.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 64
  • rake.jpg
    rake.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 7

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Looks really good :thumbsup: ! Let us know how well the plow works on your truck when you get some snow...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick