New Member!

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Hello all, My name is Bill.
I have recently acquired a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT. Loved the look of this truck since i first started looking. Found one with the package I wanted and for the price i could afford. 4K even.
I live in the Bristol PA area and usually turn my own wrench's so if i can offer help to anyone local to me feel free to hit me up!

Dark Metallic Charcoal Grey with Grey Leather interior. about 152K on the clock.
Will add Photos as soon as I can to the site.

Nothing but Stock for right now.
Little things to be addressed : Headlight switch doesn't control Squat! ( have to figure out how to remove and check.)
front windshield cracked ( getting replaced with rain sensor Friday for 150.00 )
seems a hub bearing left front going (ABS Light on)
has SAI code p0140 ( will check diverter and pump for water)
memory seats not functional have to look at fuse.
Speedo (bad stepper motor- will order new ones and fix myself)
dash lights (will come with new stepper motor ((Sold as complete Kit)) )
Fixed rear Wiper assembly, lubricated door jams, cleared tubing for washer bottle for headlights, rear wiper, and windshield.

So long enough for first post :tongue:
If I can help let me know as I plan on utilizing this site as my new reference site.
My last site which I was a member for 7 years was Lincoln vs Cadillac User name 96_Lincoln_LSC
I hope this site is as good at providing that family feeling as my last one did.

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Welcome to GMTNation :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to the Nation.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There is no other site quite like this one. The community was elsewhere until late 2011, then moved here when new owners of the old site turned it into an ad farm. Just enthusiasts of the platform here. Welcome!

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup:

The_Roadie said:
There is no other site quite like this one. The community was elsewhere until late 2011, then moved here when new owners of the old site turned it into an ad farm. Just enthusiasts of the platform here. Welcome!

dmanns67 said:
Glad you made it over Bill. Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup:

Boricua SS said:
Welcome to the Nation.

Einst-Hawk said:
Welcome to GMTNation :thumbsup:

CaptainKD said:
Welcome aboard! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the quick and kind replies..
As i transition to a GM product after owning and driving Ford and Lincoln and Merc. I'm glad to be in this vehicle.. gotta say although not as good on gas as my Lincoln was, its just as comfy.. :tongue:

So i have a list of questions. and i have repaired several standard issues already since having it less then a week Lol....

1 i have premium Bose system NOT the Luxury edition - i want to upgrade to the NAV unit (lux edition) anyone point me in the proper direction for the post for this change? is it as simple as swapping out the amp and HU to the Lux model as im already in the 2005 year? with Bose?
2. i have the manual dim rearview mirror with Onstar can it be swapped out with the auto dim? i also have rain sensor.
3. is there a reliable parts location or swap in this forum for parts? i have the need for a few things? rotors/ hub bearing. i also want to get a few bolt on gas goodies.. anything that's quick and easy to do to help save the pennies?

Im sure as time goes on i will have plenty of questions but for now if someone kind enough to point me in that correct threads or direction it would be a great help.
Thanks
Bill

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
3. is there a reliable parts location or swap in this forum for parts?

Welcome aboard Bill.:cool:

There is a classifieds section on the forum. http://gmtnation.com/forum.php#community-marketplace

For used parts, the ebay user 1933trader has just about everything for our trucks. They don't list everything that they have on ebay, so for things that aren't listed send them a message.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
seems a hub bearing left front going (ABS Light on)

Welcome aboard, Bill! Great to have you...

Want you to elaborate on the ABS/Hub issue. Please start a new thread in the Technical section. I have ideas, and many others will give input quickly.

Enjoy your time with us :thumbsup:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I have a humming,running sound from left front wheel, the abs light probably due to defective sensor in bad hub.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I may well be a Noob here, I do have many years of active participation and support from my previous forums. I don't like to waste your time or mine with needles questions that can be answered with a simple search, but this time I will gladly take the spoon. Would like to fix as many things as quickly add my finances allow. Thanks for the compliment.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Welcome.

You might have automatic headlights. Using the switch doesn't do anything in reality on mine either, they stay on all the time unless you hit the small circle underneath.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
Hello all, My name is Bill.

Nothing but Stock for right now.
Little things to be addressed : Headlight switch doesn't control Squat! ( have to figure out how to remove and check.)

Speedo (bad stepper motor- will order new ones and fix myself)
dash lights (will come with new stepper motor ((Sold as complete Kit)) )

For the headlight switch, maybe you will get lucky and the previous owner had it unplugged like mine was wen I bought it.. plugged it back in and works great!

For dash lights, our bulbs are soldered in. They do not take the plug in bulbs like the silverados or most other vehicles. If you wasn't planning on it, I would take the time to consider putting LEDs in place of the stock bulbs. Check out the led mod thread in the appearance section for all your led lighting needs :biggrin:

Also welcome to the nation!

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Midnyteryder02 said:
For the headlight switch, maybe you will get lucky and the previous owner had it unplugged like mine was wen I bought it.. plugged it back in and works great!

For dash lights, our bulbs are soldered in. They do not take the plug in bulbs like the silverados or most other vehicles. If you wasn't planning on it, I would take the time to consider putting LED's in place of the stock bulbs. Check out the led mod thread in the appearance section for all your led lighting needs :biggrin:

Also welcome to the nation!

OK Update on Headlight Control, I had figured out how to remove it and then looking at the case found the two bottom clips were broken allowing the back plate to separate enough to break contact with the switch. I didn't have glue so my handy soldering Iron melted the plastic back together, i will eventually replace it as i want to do the LED upgrade to all interior lighting, but for now to pass PA inspection the headlight switch needed to be operational.

So now I have an operational headlight switch assembly.
Next on the list is my AIR Injection Check Valve (SAI Diverter) its rusted internally and was unable to get the screws out of it to try and clean up the actuator, so the new one will be here in 24 hours. easy enough as i already had it off.

I also had the error code for the VVT ( Variable Timing Actuator) Pulled it cleaned it and re-installed it. No more code for that.

Next Item up for the repair is the Coolant sensor. Well Further Live data diagnostic shows its not faulty, its a failed thermostat. (live data showed same temp as out side temp sensor before starting) so Im going to say thermostat failed open and running too cool for the system to lean out the fuel. (SES) light pops every 3 days.

Got Buzzing noise coming from right front speaker and appears the rear right speaker is not functional, thought I saw a post about the RES having bad connection on headphone jack in center console. will investigate that soon. it seems to come and go.

Last on the List is a bad front wheel hub bearing. easy enough to do so it will wait till i can get the cash for the part. (120- 180. ) stretching my finances a bit right now.

Wish Me luck.
Love to wrench on my own stuff.. thankfully this list is small :tongue:

Hoping after these are all fixed my gas mileage will increase as of now im getting about 15 MPG. I know with P0128, P0410, and bad hub bearing (Causing additional drag) is causing my lower mileage.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very nice summary and fast catching up to the moving walkway we all ride!

The VVT solenoid/actuator is typically called the CPAS here in case you need to search for any other discussions. Many folks need to be told they are allowed to loosen the power steering pump to get the CPAS out. You're ahead of the game if you didn't need to be spoon-fed this tidbit. :thumbsup:

P0128 is a huge problem if the repair is deferred too long. Many owners think it's no big deal to put off the thermostat replacement. Not so, since the PCM compensates by adding extra fuel to try to get the engine up to temp, and that can destroy cats. And waste fuel. Putting it off is false frugality, I'm always telling people.

The AIR system diverter (usually discussed using the acronym SAIS) is a relatively benign failure, and can't cost you fuel economy, since the system only runs on cold starts, and it's an EPA mandated system to hasten the engine's entry into closed loop mode. No effect on steady state running. Except for the diagnostic test the system runs once you're rolling down the street under a certain set of conditions, when the PCM will run the turbine pump for three, one-second bursts, a few seconds apart, and looks at the O2 sensor data to see if the excess fresh air is really being introduced into the exhaust manifold. A bad turbine, solenoid valve, or sluggish O2 sensor can trip the P0410. The three, one-second pump bursts, at 20-30 amps per time, often gets noticed by the driver 3-5 miles after they start off, especially if their drive home after work is in the dark, which happens a LOT after daylight savings time goes away in the fall. You'd be astonished how many questions we get over the years about llights dimming the week after the time change. It happens even in the summer, but folks aren't as tuned in to seeing their dash voltmeter dip three times if they aren't constantly scanning it.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
The_Roadie said:
Very nice summary and fast catching up to the moving walkway we all ride!

The VVT solenoid/actuator is typically called the CPAS here in case you need to search for any other discussions. Many folks need to be told they are allowed to loosen the power steering pump to get the CPAS out. You're ahead of the game if you didn't need to be spoon-fed this tidbit. :thumbsup:

P0128 is a huge problem if the repair is deferred too long. Many owners think it's no big deal to put off the thermostat replacement. Not so, since the PCM compensates by adding extra fuel to try to get the engine up to temp, and that can destroy cats. And waste fuel. Putting it off is false frugality, I'm always telling people.

The AIR system diverter (usually discussed using the acronym SAIS) is a relatively benign failure, and can't cost you fuel economy, since the system only runs on cold starts, and it's an EPA mandated system to hasten the engine's entry into closed loop mode. No effect on steady state running. Except for the diagnostic test the system runs once you're rolling down the street under a certain set of conditions, when the PCM will run the turbine pump for three, one-second bursts, a few seconds apart, and looks at the O2 sensor data to see if the excess fresh air is really being introduced into the exhaust manifold. A bad turbine, solenoid valve, or sluggish O2 sensor can trip the P0410. The three, one-second pump bursts, at 20-30 amps per time, often gets noticed by the driver 3-5 miles after they start off, especially if their drive home after work is in the dark, which happens a LOT after daylight savings time goes away in the fall. You'd be astonished hoe many questions we get over the years about llights dimming the week after the time change. It happens even in the summer, but folks aren't as tuned in to seeing their dash voltmeter dip three times if they aren't constantly scanning it.

Well good news is ill be taking care of both of these items hopefully this week and I dont know how long this condition was there as i just aquired my vehicle less then a week ago.. but ill be fixing it this week.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Yes New Part Showed up now i can get that F'n annoying SAIS error to go away now to fix the thermostat issue when i get home tonight. hopefully get some gas mileage back... best i see so far is 15 MPG. hope that goes up a bit.

Then the next thing I want to fix will be the interior lighting.. some of the dash lights are out and the cluster gauges sometimes work when they want.. Also have humming sound from right front speaker but noticed this happens after right rear door closed and that speaker doesn't work at all.. I think either the connector is loose causing the interference or the speaker is actually blown out and causing feedback...
Either way that's next on the hit list...

I should start a progress thread...
:smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.