New Member With Problems 9-7x

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Well let me start off i love the 9-7x but haven't had the greatest luck with it. To make the story short i ended up having two lifters fail on (1+1)different occasions so i had the mechanic replace all 8 lifters on DOD. Well after a couple of months of fixing that problem a new problem has popped up and can't figure out what the problem may be. When driving the car around it randomly dies out. Sometimes you will be pulling into a parking lot or just driving down the road. This problem doesn't always happen and sometimes goes away for awhile before happening again. After it dies out sometimes it takes a little while before it will start back up and sometimes it fires right back up. Another problem it seems to do is you will be driving down the road and give it gas but rpm's will not increase and feels like pushing gas does nothing. Sometimes when you floor the gas it will go and then hesitate then go again.Also when flooring gas when getting up in rpms it sounds like a rattle noise starts to come from engine(praying not lifters) but wondering if it could be pinging from bad MAF sensor? From what it sounds like i'm guessing it may be some kind of sensor getting flaky or going bad. No check engine light will come on. My guess is Crankshaft Position sensor or MAF possibly. Any help is greatly apprecited. I just wished the car would just run without problems. Vehicle is a 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i 90k miles

Thank You:confused:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Possibly an intake gasket, but that usually sets a code for a lean condition on banks 1 and 2. Possibly a MAF sensor, but that would also usually set a code.

You might be better off to get it scanned..

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
TollKeeper said:
Possibly an intake gasket, but that usually sets a code for a lean condition on banks 1 and 2. Possibly a MAF sensor, but that would also usually set a code.

You might be better off to get it scanned..

I took it to autozone to get scanned using theirs and nothing pops up since no check engine light is on. Is there other scanning they can do that will help? Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am shocked that there isnt an article on that topic :jawdrop2:. Maybe someone will pop up with a how to. Its not hard, but the dealer is replacing mine currently, so I am no help.

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
TollKeeper said:
I am shocked that there isnt an article on that topic :jawdrop2:. Maybe someone will pop up with a how to. Its not hard, but the dealer is replacing mine currently, so I am no help.

If you don't mind me asking how much is a dealership charging to do it? Also what problems were you having when you found out the switch was bad. Thanks

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Your switch being in the center console will be a different animal than most of us,seems like it might be an easier fix.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
daniel944turbo said:
I took it to autozone to get scanned using theirs and nothing pops up since no check engine light is on. Is there other scanning they can do that will help? Thanks
Parts store scans are worth what you pay for them. Not much. Checking for codes is only a way to sell you parts. What you need is a competent mechanic (independent or dealer) with a GM Tech II or equivalent high end scan tool that can read all the sensor data and the mechanic will interpret that and come up with a diagnosis.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Well I hate to hear the bad luck you've had with your 9-7. I've had the opposite luck with mine.. I have to agree with Roadie here. Sounds like you trusted some mechanic enough to replace the lifters...can you go back to them?

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
daniel944turbo said:
Thanks for comments I'll try to have someone check it out once the weather settles down.

Quick questions Does anyone know if there is a thread on instructions on how to take the ignition switch out?

Also does anyone know the location of the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are on the 5.3 Saab. Thank You

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I just notice if u put the key in the ignition and turn on but don't start engine the CEL will come on and stay on until car is started. Is this normal? Thanks

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
I am pretty sure that is normal. Have you checked, or replaced the battery in your remote? I know on Saabs, if the battery is low or dead, there is a small ring around the ignition that senses it and it wont run if its low or dead. On my 01 Viggen, it will display on the SID, and it says something like no key recognition or something though. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but..........

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
This is not true of the GM Saab, I ditched my factory all in one key for a Grand Am key and separate remote, no problems. They self program just like any other GM.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
Instrumental said:
This is not true of the GM Saab, I ditched my factory all in one key for a Grand Am key and separate remote, no problems. They self program just like any other GM.

Ah, ok. I wasnt sure. I had a scare when I first got the car and had the console out cleaning the interior. A tiny screw fell in the key hole and it took about 3 hours to get the shift housing and the key cylinder out to remove the screw. It got late, so i tried to move the car in the garage without putting the whole console in and it told me the key wasnt recognized. I had removed the stupid "put it in reverse to remove the key" function and I thought it screwed something up. Truns out it was jsut that stupid little ring.

Anyway, just figure I would throw it out there. I guess its not gonna help.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sorry, been out of town.. Wasnt able to answer your question.

My ignition switch was covered under a warrenty, so I have no idea how much its going to cost. With yours being a Saab, you might think about just doing it yourself. I would imagine it just sits under the ignition lock in the center console, but I could be wrong.

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
well still can't figure out whats wrong with the car and i'm trying to avoid throwing tons of money at it and see if that fixes it.

Symptoms:
Car randomly dies out when driving and also when stopped.
Sometimes car will have problems then run fine for weeks.
Also i noticed alot of moisture coming out of the exhaust.This is on first start. Its enough moisture to see a trail going down the driveway (pic)
Any help is appreciated

[video=youtube;kjzolgay360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzolgay360[/video]
[video=youtube;9DWymW6e3Hk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWymW6e3Hk[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 4

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I had a similar problem on a Tahoe.My problem was the fuel pump.I did a dissection to find the cause and found a bad segment on the pump motor armature. My truck could also run great for long periods but,every now and then it would land on that bad spot and stall.I haven't figured out why it would restart later but,the stalls got more frequent and one day I was stranded:frown: A new pump fixed it :thumbsup:

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
northcreek said:
I had a similar problem on a Tahoe.My problem was the fuel pump.I did a dissection to find the cause and found a bad segment on the pump motor armature. My truck could also run great for long periods but,every now and then it would land on that bad spot and stall.I haven't figured out why it would restart later but,the stalls got more frequent and one day I was stranded:frown: A new pump fixed it :thumbsup:

Thanks for input. About how long did it last from when it started giving u trouble. Sometimes right after it dies it won't restart but after a few tries it works. Sometimes I wished it would just die so I know what's exactly wrong. Also my car has 91k

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
daniel944turbo said:
Thanks for input. About how long did it last from when it started giving u trouble. Sometimes right after it dies it won't restart but after a few tries it works. Sometimes I wished it would just die so I know what's exactly wrong. Also my car has 91k

My truck was around 90k too.I'm a little hazy on the time frame...perhaps a month or two of intermittent behavior.These FP armatures are not solid copper segments as we are used to seeing ,they are plastic cores with a thin copper plating.In my case the plating was flaking away and creating dead spots...Mike.
ps might mention that this was the original fuel pump.

daniel944turbo

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
northcreek said:
My truck was around 90k too.I'm a little hazy on the time frame...perhaps a month or two of intermittent behavior.These FP armatures are not solid copper segments as we are used to seeing ,they are plastic cores with a thin copper plating.In my case the plating was flaking away and creating dead spots...Mike.
ps might mention that this was the original fuel pump.

Thanks for you input mike. I got a buddy willing to trade some computer work to install a fuel pump so i may be doing this and hopes it fixes the problem

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online