New Front Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly won't slide all the way in on Axle Spindle

joe110010

Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Anyone else have this issue:

I'm replacing both front hubs, and the passenger side CV as well. Passenger side all came together fine with the new CV. On the driver side I was going to keep using the OEM original CV, but when I tried to slide the new hub (Timken) on, it stopped with about 1.5 to 2 cm of the spindle still showing - the raised part on the inside plus about 2mm of the smooth section after the spindles/splines. I pulled it back off and inspected the spindle and only saw the most smallest of nicks in one spindle, nothing that seemed like it would block the hub sliding on all the way. I then tried putting the original hub on to see if I may have damaged the splines with my baseball bat sledge swings getting the hub off. The original would go a little further but not on to the raised section of the axle. I used both grease and also anti-seize but no help.

I actually tried lightly banging on the hub a little bit but don't want to damage it, and it doesn't seem like it should take much force to go on. I've just ordered a new CV to see if that's the problem but thought I'd throw this out there for any ideas/techniques to try, or if anyone has encountered this?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Any reason you didn't just try pulling it through the hub using the nut? Maybe I'm not visualizing the term "spindle" here. Can you take a picture?

Did you hammer on the end of the CV shaft to get it out of the original hub without using the nut for thread protection?

joe110010

Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
the roadie said:
Any reason you didn't just try pulling it through the hub using the nut? Maybe I'm not visualizing the term "spindle" here. Can you take a picture?

Did you hammer on the end of the CV shaft to get it out of the original hub without using the nut for thread protection?

By spindle I'm just referring to the end of the axle with grooves in it. Maybe that's the wrong term... I did not try using the nut to pull it through, the reason being I didn't think of it! I'm sure there will be a next time though so thanks for the tip.

I ended up getting it put together with a MasterPro from O'Reilly's, only double the cost of the Cardone I put on the other side. Ah well. We'll see which one does better. The MasterPro does come with a lifetime warranty, which they said applies even if the boot starts leaking. For some reason the Cardone seemed a little better quality, even though I read they're made by the same company.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.