New ATP splined disconnect overfilled with grease?

seanpooh

Original poster
Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
So yesterday I replaced my splined disconnect with the ATP brand. I bought it just in case my original broke in my oil pan. The good news is that my original is intact, so is the doorman unit. The bad news is that the ATP, the socket that gets pushed in by the doorman gets stuck if I were to push it in with screwdriver which requires a lot of force.

When the doorman unit is in and I turn the switch to AWD and 4WD, the lights just blink and it doesn't engage. I think the doorman unit is not strong enough to push the fork to engage. Should I crack it open and try to clean up some grease? Or should I rebuild my original?

Also, if I turn my driver side wheel in 2wd mode off the floor, should my drive shaft from the TC to the front differential move at all?

Front diff fluid changed about 5K miles ago and TC fluid changed 20K miles ago and CV shafts about 10K miles ago.
 

McGMT

Member
Jun 17, 2012
621
seanpooh said:
So yesterday I replaced my splined disconnect with the ATP brand. I bought it just in case my original broke in my oil pan. The good news is that my original is intact, so is the doorman unit. The bad news is that the ATP, the socket that gets pushed in by the doorman gets stuck if I were to push it in with screwdriver which requires a lot of force.

When the doorman unit is in and I turn the switch to AWD and 4WD, the lights just blink and it doesn't engage. I think the doorman unit is not strong enough to push the fork to engage. Should I crack it open and try to clean up some grease? Or should I rebuild my original?

Also, if I turn my driver side wheel in 2wd mode off the floor, should my drive shaft from the TC to the front differential move at all?

Front diff fluid changed about 5K miles ago and TC fluid changed 20K miles ago and CV shafts about 10K miles ago.

IMHO, grease is not the problem. Something is either binding or broke...
 

seanpooh

Original poster
Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
But the splined disconnect is brand new. I've heard it's Chinese made which should explain things.
 

McGMT

Member
Jun 17, 2012
621
seanpooh said:
But the splined disconnect is brand new. I've heard it's Chinese made which should explain things.

Exactly... :thumbsup:
 

seanpooh

Original poster
Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
Son of a gun... $350 waste. I should have bought the gears and bearings to rebuild the original but the fear of the housing breaking of my original got the best of me.

So do you guys think the front drive shaft with slight movement in 2wd mode is because of a funky front differential or catchy cluthes in the transfer case or normal? It doesnt completey turn in relation to the turning of the front driver side wheel.

When both wheels are off the floor and and spin the passenger side, it doesn't move at all which means the Chinese spline disconnect is doing half the job.
 

McGMT

Member
Jun 17, 2012
621
seanpooh said:
Son of a gun... $350 waste. I should have bought the gears and bearings to rebuild the original but the fear of the housing breaking of my original got the best of me.

So do you guys think the front drive shaft with slight movement in 2wd mode is because of a funky front differential or catchy cluthes in the transfer case or normal? It doesnt completey turn in relation to the turning of the front driver side wheel.

When both wheels are off the floor and and spin the passenger side, it doesn't move at all which means the Chinese spline disconnect is doing half the job.

That is just because the front end is an open diff...
 

seanpooh

Original poster
Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
Turning the driver side wheel of a open differential in 2wd would turn the driveshaft?

I know in the rear with an open differential, turn one wheel and the other turns the opposite way but the drive shaft doesn't move does it?
 

McGMT

Member
Jun 17, 2012
621
seanpooh said:
Turning the driver side wheel of a open differential in 2wd would turn the driveshaft?

I know in the rear with an open differential, turn one wheel and the other turns the opposite way but the drive shaft doesn't move does it?

It will sometimes as there is no drag on the driveshaft when the Tcase is disengaged... There just isn't enough drag in the diff to keep from turning the shaft... Ya know? I bet if you held the shaft still you could still turn it the same way
 

seanpooh

Original poster
Member
Jan 24, 2012
461
I see now. I appreciate all of your words. Just puts my mind to ease to know that my 4wd problem doesn't involve the differential and TC. Any work that would be done on those two would be at least $500 in labor and winter is approaching quickly. Again, thanks for your comments. Back to the spline disconnect...
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,234
Posts
637,113
Members
18,398
Latest member
DR.B

Members Online