Need to open my Headlights for a good polish!

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Well It's time to get some detailing and polishing done for my headlights along with my Fog lights. Fog lights are easy so not a problem, but my headlights are worn out and not to mention gotta good amount of dust on the inside. I know there are different ways to open a headlight either in the oven or cooking, etc... but I think these may be different than the stock headlights.

I took a quick look today and noticed there are clips on the headlight similar to the ones on the dashboard cluster. I've attached some pix for you guys take a look for whoever have any experience with the dissembling aftermarket headlights. I don't have my stock headlights so not sure if they had similar clips or not to be honest.

I did unclip the upper ones on the headlight and it seems as if it would come off but of course I did this while the grill was on and headlight mounted quickly just as an initial diagnosis. It's 43 degrees outside :crazy:

Anyways If it needs to be put in the oven or cut open it'll need to wait a bit before I can take a shot at this :thumbsup:

fab197ec.jpg

deca8349.jpg

Here's a full view of my headlights for those that don't know my ride lol

1a348dc7.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What would you need an oven for? It's hot enough as it is outside :eek:.

Those clips are on all of our headlights. I have both a stock and an aftermarket one and they both have them. I think they just hold the assembly together while the glue dries. This article shows to how remove the lens:
GMTNation - Adding Clear Corner Lenses to your Headlights

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nice work man, they look good as new! Did you really have to cut them open and hit the inside of the lenses, or just polish up the outsides?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Yup thanks guys! Havent tested them out yet at night! Been nagging at the wifey to go out but she's feeling lazy :tongue:

Carlton buddy I had to cut them open and what a pain that was dude lol! Now they're all shiny hehe!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, now if you had some body color paint, you could have matched up the inside of the lights too :cool:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Hmm, now if you had some body color paint, you could have matched up the inside of the lights too :cool:

Leave me alone :tongue: hehehe! After getting everything assembled I was like crap I should of tinted the side markers or done conversion to clear markers in the write up! There's no way I'm opening them again anytime soon hehe!

Time to jump to the other mods now! Need to get the new running boards!

Ps: tried out the lights at night and man are they bright! I got 4300k HIDS and they're looking much better! I need to align them though. Seems they got messed up when took them off lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reopening them is a piece of cake now, a utility knife will cut through the RTV silicone nice and easy. So I think next weekend, you should revisit this mod :yes:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Reopening them is a piece of cake now, a utility knife will cut through the RTV silicone nice and easy. So I think next weekend, you should revisit this mod :yes:

You're a bad influence :rotfl: I'm traveling this weekend so no can do for me! Maybe when i'm back i'll take a shot at this again and installing the new intake pipe :wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online