need stronger fog and high beam lights

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hey everyone, my fog lights and high beams aren't cutting it for me with the stock bulbs. Now I do not want HID's in the fogs or high beams. Was wonder is anyone using a pretty bright halogen that is a good amount brighter then the stock ones? For fogs and high beams. What can the fog lights handle watt wise and the what can the high beams handle watts wise also? I know the fogs are 27.5 watts and highs are like what 65? Seems like for high beams whatever I find they are 100 watts and I don't want to melt any wires from that

Thanks for any help in advance

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Have you checked into the Sylvania bulbs? I'm not sure about the name. Ultra Star?:undecided:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Have you checked into the Sylvania bulbs? I'm not sure about the name. Ultra Star?:undecided:

I looked at ultra stars but the 9500 bulbs come in 100 watts and that will ruin my factory harness which isn't what I want you know. Looking for about the same wattage but brighter look to them. HID's I cannot flash when I need to

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It's kind of confusing. If you compare all their lamps, they are all 65 watts and 1700 lumen's. The big differences are color, life and price.
The least expensive has the longest life and the lowest color temp, so that should be the brightest. But they list the Ultra as "up to" 50% brighter.

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
I've got Philips Crystal Vision Ultra, I like them alittle better than the Sylvania SilveStar Ultras (had them in my impala that I trade for the TB, so can't judge between both in same vehicle)

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
It's kind of confusing. If you compare all their lamps, they are all 65 watts and 1700 lumen's. The big differences are color, life and price.
The least expensive has the longest life and the lowest color temp, so that should be the brightest. But they list the Ultra as "up to" 50% brighter.

I know the lower the temp the brighter on HID's but will that apply with halogens? Kinda weird how a lower temp with longer life last longer and are cheaper. You would think that the longer life would be more even tho the color is yellow. Also 125-200 hours really isn't that long either, that isn't even close to a year. Now that it is winter there is less daylight so I will be using the lights more also

Yacdogg said:
I've got Philips Crystal Vision Ultra, I like them alittle better than the Sylvania SilveStar Ultras (had them in my impala that I trade for the TB, so can't judge between both in same vehicle)

Do you notice a good difference in brightness and light output vs the stock lights?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

ItsOnVoy said:
I know the lower the temp the brighter on HID's but will that apply with halogens? Kinda weird how a lower temp with longer life last longer and are cheaper. You would think that the longer life would be more even tho the color is yellow. Also 125-200 hours really isn't that long either, that isn't even close to a year. Now that it is winter there is less daylight so I will be using the lights more also

Lower temp is not brighter. 4300K is about true daylight. Many go with a 500K whiter light for both looks and a brighter appearance. The color does not matter if HID, LED, Halogen.

I had the Ultra and did not like them.

Do you have quad beams or the 6 beam mod? That will get you much better light output. With quads i run a 35 watt 5000K HID low beam and cheap HID look-a-like Halogen 65 watt bulbs in the highs. I would say 6000K temp. I do not wish for more like very often, but do have some 85 watt PIAA fog lights on the bumper. They are yellow and while not appearing bright they throw light a long ways and work well in inclement weather.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i run the silverstar ultra's. (reg, highs and fogs) they are brighter than stock.
i've had them in since i picked up the TB in Jan 09.
IIRC i have had 1 burn out in all that time.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I run the ultrastars in the high beams. They have lasted for over two years now, much brighter than stock. Ultrastars are not recommended for low beams or fogs. Very short life when used all the time. I have noticed no changes (melting) in the high beam receptacle or harness.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Lower temp is not brighter. 4300K is about true daylight. Many go with a 500K whiter light for both looks and a brighter appearance. The color does not matter if HID, LED, Halogen.

I had the Ultra and did not like them.

Do you have quad beams or the 6 beam mod? That will get you much better light output. With quads i run a 35 watt 5000K HID low beam and cheap HID look-a-like Halogen 65 watt bulbs in the highs. I would say 6000K temp. I do not wish for more like very often, but do have some 85 watt PIAA fog lights on the bumper. They are yellow and while not appearing bright they throw light a long ways and work well in inclement weather.

6 beam I do not have, never really had the time to look into doing that. The quad I guess I don't, when I pull the lever at me its quad but when I push the lever away to switch only highs. But those cheaper HID look a likes are they brighter then the stock ones? I had silverstars before my HIDs and they are nothing compared to the HIDs but they were brighter then the stockers. They burned quick tho, 9 months

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I have 35w 5000k in the fogs+lows and Silverstar ultras in the highs. Their a little more yellow then 5000k and not as bright as the HIDs but much brighter than stock.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
6 beam I do not have, never really had the time to look into doing that. The quad I guess I don't, when I pull the lever at me its quad but when I push the lever away to switch only highs. But those cheaper HID look a likes are they brighter then the stock ones? I had silverstars before my HIDs and they are nothing compared to the HIDs but they were brighter then the stockers. They burned quick tho, 9 months

Do the quads at least. My HID's never go off unless I switch them. I actually am debating about HIDs for the highs since the turn on time wont hurt me as the lows stay on. Also did you do the DRL kill with your hid's?

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
I have 35w 5000k in the fogs+lows and Silverstar ultras in the highs. Their a little more yellow then 5000k and not as bright as the HIDs but much brighter than stock.

Are the silverstars the 65w ones?

HARDTRAILZ said:
Do the quads at least. My HID's never go off unless I switch them. I actually am debating about HIDs for the highs since the turn on time wont hurt me as the lows stay on. Also did you do the DRL kill with your hid's?

Yeah I have a DRL module hooked up which just gives the HID's 100% power with no flicker etc...still turn them off during the day to keep them lasting longer. I will have to look into the quad mod I seen the write up but never really read it step for step. I personally do not want HID's in the highs because I want to be able to flash the highs whenever I need to. Or else I would be game for HID's

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I understand...i just cant even remember when i last flashed my lights. I would rather have light.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I understand...i just cant even remember when i last flashed my lights. I would rather have light.

Its not often for me either, but there are enough jerk offs out there to where its needed lol plus sometimes in a dark road I will flash them or a few just to make sure I see the turn right etc.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Are the silverstars the 65w ones?

Not sure, what ever they sell at Canadian Tire :smile: Didnt know that there's different versions. They had SS, and SS ultras so I just bought what the packages say are the brightest ones.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
It shows that they are 55w, would that be enough for high beams tho?

I believe 55 watts is standard for low beam and 65 watts for high. They are way brighter than any other halogen I've bought, besides 100 watt "for off road use only". These 100 watt ended up yellow the headlight housing and I've heard they have melted wiring.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Checkout the bulbs by hoen. That's what I'm going to be running couple of friends run them in their tbss. Pretty bright no troubles of the hids. They offer them in the full kit highs lows and fogs for like $80

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I'm currently using these HIR bulbs. So far so good, about 1 year on them. Rated at 1875 lumens and there is slight trimming involved with one of the 3 tabs. I fingernail clipper worked fine, just needed to trim about 1/8" off.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
am-radio said:
I believe 55 watts is standard for low beam and 65 watts for high. They are way brighter than any other halogen I've bought, besides 100 watt "for off road use only". These 100 watt ended up yellow the headlight housing and I've heard they have melted wiring.

for low beams they are lower then 55w stock, more like 45 lol the stockers I had when I got the truck had 45 watt lights then the silverstars I got after were 51 watts

Canadian Mike said:
Just picked up one of these the other day but haven't installed them yet.

[EBAY]221159234275[/EBAY]

let me know how those work :thumbsup:

TexazReece said:
Checkout the bulbs by hoen. That's what I'm going to be running couple of friends run them in their tbss. Pretty bright no troubles of the hids. They offer them in the full kit highs lows and fogs for like $80

I am looking for highs and fogs so I will look into those. I think I seen a few people on here get those lights. Any idea how the life of them are? Because right now i love how the HID's have been on over 2 years and still running (knock on wood)

gmcman said:
I'm currently using these HIR bulbs. So far so good, about 1 year on them. Rated at 1875 lumens and there is slight trimming involved with one of the 3 tabs. I fingernail clipper worked fine, just needed to trim about 1/8" off.

Phillips a pretty good brand when it comes to lights?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Phillips a pretty good brand when it comes to lights?

Dude......they invented the cassette tape, you have to trust them. :biggrin:

Yes, they are very respected in terms of lighting. I have had no issues with mine but can say I will never use a Silverstar again, I like my bulbs to last more than 4 months.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
gmcman said:
Dude......they invented the cassette tape, you have to trust them. :biggrin:

Yes, they are very respected in terms of lighting. I have had no issues with mine but can say I will never use a Silverstar again, I like my bulbs to last more than 4 months.

Yeah there life is very short but considering they will be for high beams I wont mind because I don't use them that often...but for the fogs I use them a lot

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I always get just over a year out of my silverstars, atleast the low beams and they are on all the time. I use silverstars in my high beams as well and when I put my first set in I had one go out after 3 months but they have a year warrenty and so it didnt cost me to get a new one. Three years later I still have the same high beams.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
TangoBravo said:
I always get just over a year out of my silverstars, atleast the low beams and they are on all the time. I use silverstars in my high beams as well and when I put my first set in I had one go out after 3 months but they have a year warrenty and so it didnt cost me to get a new one. Three years later I still have the same high beams.

Yeah high beams i dont care to get silver stars or something like that. its not something on long and they will last me years. My fog lights I need to see what I want to get. HID's just blind people and the glare is higher on them, aiming them down takes away from the idea of having them also

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
I run Eurolites in all my pods. Lows, highs & fogs. It's a Xenon bulb. Brighter than Halogen, but not as bright as HID. Last a feck of a hell longer than sliverstars and sylvania's.

I also strongly recommend 06Envoy's 6-beam mod if you want more light output. Trust me. It's a world of a difference. :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
I run Eurolites in all my pods. Lows, highs & fogs. It's a Xenon bulb. Brighter than Halogen, but not as bright as HID. Last a feck of a hell longer than sliverstars and sylvania's.

I also strongly recommend 06Envoy's 6-beam mod if you want more light output. Trust me. It's a world of a difference. :thumbsup:

Can you send me a link for those lights? I cannot find anything on them

May 22, 2012
100 watts at 12v is only 8.3 amps your wires should be able to handle that.

Try Hella Bulbs HB3/9005 100watt high beam H83165012 and HB4/9006 80watt low beam H83170092

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
let me know how those work :thumbsup:

They're alright, slightly brighter than my 2+yrs old Ultra's. Would be interesting to see a comparison of both new "model" simultaneously.

The Silverstar zXe are very similar to the Silverstar Ultra. According to the site - https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appl...ms/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=9005, the only differences are the "Primary Color Temperature (K) [4200 vs. 4100] & Primary Filament Life (hrs) [100 vs. 125]

Obviously they're not gonna match the 5000K's in the lows & fogs. As long as the Mrs. is happy, Mr. is happy!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Team Dougherty said:
100 watts at 12v is only 8.3 amps your wires should be able to handle that.

Try Hella Bulbs HB3/9005 100watt high beam H83165012 and HB4/9006 80watt low beam H83170092

I run Hella also :cool: I know they are better than the regular Silver Stars in my wife's Nitro. For $13 for Highs and lows they're worth a shot(I got mine from this seller).

[EBAY]281031720787[/EBAY]

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
thats not bad at all for the price, fits well since I do not want to pay much since truck will only be in my hands so much longer. do you know the wattage for the two lights and what color do they give out? More white or more blue? I'm also assuming that they are a nice difference in brightness in vs the stockers right?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
thats not bad at all for the price, fits well since I do not want to pay much since truck will only be in my hands so much longer. do you know the wattage for the two lights and what color do they give out? More white or more blue? I'm also assuming that they are a nice difference in brightness in vs the stockers right?

I don't know the wattage. The light output is pure white. I would say they are somewhat brighter than stock, but I don't think you'll get a huge difference without going HID

I also have some cheap 5K fogs. They are a little bluer than the Hellas.

Something like these

[EBAY]181037593605[/EBAY]

BTW DON'T get 50W fogs, I melted a housing with the set I had, but the 37.5 watt bulbs seem OK.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
I don't know the wattage. The light output is pure white. I would say they are somewhat brighter than stock, but I don't think you'll get a huge difference without going HID

I also have some cheap 5K fogs. They are a little bluer than the Hellas.

Something like these

[EBAY]181037593605[/EBAY]

BTW DON'T get 50W fogs, I melted a housing with the set I had, but the 37.5 watt bulbs seem OK.

For the fogs I want pure white or some yellow idc, I do not want any cop eyeing me because of my lights and hassle me for something stupid. If they aren't that much brighter might not be worth switching...idk I need to see if its really worth making the switch honestly

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
After seeing the fogs next to white light you'll want 5K's or...

[EBAY]350660943672[/EBAY]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online