Need some Tech2 help....

GENMOTMAN

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Florida
I'm chasing down an occasional intermittent stumble that happens when the car is warmed up and comes to a traffic stop. It doesn't happen when its parked in idle. I thought maybe its fuel related or dirty injectors. I cleaned them out, checked the fuel system and its working right... but the car still has the occasional intermittent stumble.

I'm thinking coil pack or plugs now. Does anyone know how can I use the Tech2 to help me diagnose the coil packs/plugs? Tech2win's installed in my laptop and works really nice. Is there a way to monitor what's happening with the coil packs live?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Assuming that your 2007 Saturn is an ION and assuming that the differences between the 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotec Engines are minimal for the purposes of chasing down this particular Diagnosis, FWIW.... Scanner-Danner has this 30 Minute Video that covers "Misfire Diagnostics on a 2004 Saturn Ion".

Now even though S-D does NOT use the Tech 2 Diagnostic Tool... he does cover enough information that is cross-pollinated to General Engine Diagnostics with equally sophisticated Scanning Tools... such as "Reading-Comparing Misfire Counts..." that can easily be done on your Tech 2 Scanner as well. So if you Think Strictly "Generics" here, much of what he covers can be translated over to your situation. Hope this is Helpful:

GENMOTMAN

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Cool video. Excellent instructor. My 2007 is a bit more advanced than that 2004, (so it's a lot different). In my case I had no DTC's. I eventually figured out how to troubleshoot with Tech2Win by means of a TECH2 Paths pdf file I borrowed from the bad-asses at a Corvette forum. Once I ran the misfire graphics in Tech2Win, I found the problem child, (coil pack #4).

I removed the coil pack and found it filled with oil. Looks like the valve gasket had been leaking oil into the plug opening for some time causing the coil pack to misfire. The coil pack was drenched and compromised, but the plug was still good. I cleaned out and removed all the oil and installed a spare coil pack I had. PROBLEM SOLVED! No more stumble. Now I have to get working on the valve cover gasket to stop the leakage into the coil/plug opening when I get a chance.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 13

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
DAMN! I Keep Forgetting that You Do NOT Use the Tech 2 Scanner... But this is yet another opportunity for you to Post this Discovery and Solution as "How To..." Information over in the 'Additional Tech 2 Resources' Thread because it is unique to using your "New Tech2Win Scanner Toy" and because it seems to Perform with Equanimity vs. the Tech 2... if not Better. :>)

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Florida
What makes it into a good substitute for the Tech2 is that the software's exactly the same. Just without all that clunky hardware. And it is light years faster than the original Tech2. After all, all the GM products are similar. The differences begin after the first screen menu and it's based on the year and model.

I really was posting for help on 'how to' with a Tech2. And that pdf document I found breaks down all the available screens to diagnose any GM car or truck with a Tech2.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I just read through this STAGGERINGLY Important and Very Necessary Complete Series of Tech 2 Diagnostic Repair Steps... and what comes to mind is the breathtaking idea that had @Mooseman NOT been Friendly and Helpful to a 'Fellow Traveler" such as yourself... who does NOT own any GMT360 Vehicles and had he just 'shined you on'.... THIS Incredible Tech 2 Diagnostic PDF would NEVER have been Discovered and made available to us ALL here at GMTN.

The Truth is.... It NEVER Hurts to be Nice to People... You just NEVER Know how valuable the Relationships that develop can become in the future. So I absolutely cannot tell you how much... "I Preeeshiate Cha... Brother... "

...and God Bless @Mooseman for extending to you his Helping Hand!

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It does apply to GMTs since the Tech 2 works on ALL GM vehicles. I initially got the bulk of my info when I first dove in at a Saab forum and a huge thread there. I'm pretty sure we get all manner of GM vehicle owners coming through here seeking Tech 2 info.

Reactions: mrrsm

GENMOTMAN

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Florida
None-the-less, I was at my wit's end and you guys stepped up to the plate to help. Purely professional attitude. I am so used to getting feed-back from all backgrounds right down to someone who's never even change their own oil, (and generally not very helpful). Not the case here. Mooseman lovingly referred to my GM car as a bastard child, (or something like that lol)! And rightfully so, but also added pertinent and useful information that set me on the right track. Thanks guys, I owe you a debt of gratitude big time! Truckers rule...thanks for looking out for the little guy.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a bit OT.... and I'm not sure this qualifies as being a ..."Measure for Measure" exchange when compared with the Value of your latest FREE PDF Contribution (PLEASE... Add your Corvette Tech 2 PDF Treasure Trove over at the "Additional Tech 2 Resources" Thread...) However... THIS looks like a Complete FULL Set of 2007-2009 Saturn ION Digital Shop Manuals on DVDs for under $15.00 over on eBay I thought might come in very handy for your rare Vehicle:

SATURNIONLOGO.jpg

GENMOTMAN

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Florida
I bought a similar one back in 2010. If the one you hyperlinked is anything like the one I have, then it's terrible...lol. The one I have is the Saturn Digital Workshop Manual from 2005-2007, and it's useful up to a limit. Additionally it is very complicated but has all the details. It's more like an addendum to a real Chassis Manual. When I get a chance I'll post that pdf to the "Additional Tech 2 Resources" Thread. Thanks for looking out!

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online