Need some advice

willn513

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Let me say that I absolutely love my TB. I bought it off a lease in 2004 (it's an 02) with very low miles. It starts and runs great for me day after day with only minimal normal maintenance and wear/tear along the way. It now has 190,XXX on the odo and I still drive it every day without issues.

My daily commute round trip is around 70 miles.

My mom has a 2009 Subaru Forester LL Bean Limited with all the toys and only around 60,000mi on it. My wife and I recently bought a new house so money is a little tight right now.

Long story short- my mom wants a new car. She is offering to let me take over the payments on the Forester and keep it outright. Owning both the TB and the Forester would NOT be an option at this point. She owes about $8,000 on the loan.

So basically- I buy a 2009 Forester for $8000. I figure I could get a few grand out of the TB to help with the payments. And in the end I come out with a much newer, way lower, more fuel efficient vehicle.

But(and here's my problem)- I love my TB. It literally upsets me to think about not having it any longer. It's big, comfy, and does ok on the mpgs. But it is old, starting to rust through in places, and just isn't in tip top shape any more. But the Subaru is absolutely mint not a scratch on it.

Help! I need some feedback here!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
You never said what color the Subaru is....

is your mom upgrading or trying to save $8gs by having you buy it? On paper it sounds like a deal. There is no way to stash the TB somewhere so you can have both? Not sure what you'll get for a 190k mile TB.

I'm driving mine to the ground but then again I have WAY less miles too. If you have kids the forester may be considered an investment over the TB. Sounds like she's cutting u a deal so you stop reminding her that you have 190k miles?:rotfl:

fwiw I will not be exchanging my TB for a forester ever. A wrx, maybe. But I'll find a way for both:yes:

willn513

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Good call on the color. It is a metallic red. This isn't it the car but it looks exactly the same.
6ehyrujy.jpg

And she's thinking of a 2014 Outback or 2014 Forester. Basically she's just trying to hook us up since we bought a house last year and the funds are tight. And we do have a 2 year old son now but plan on expanding sooner or later...

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Use the forester for the DD and LIFT the TB!!! I agree with playinwithsnow, you may not get much for an 02 with 190k.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
willn513 said:
Good call on the color. It is a metallic red. This isn't it the car but it looks exactly the same.
6ehyrujy.jpg

And she's thinking of a 2014 Outback or 2014 Forester. Basically she's just trying to hook us up since we bought a house last year and the funds are tight. And we do have a 2 year old son now but plan on expanding sooner or later...

nice! Think mom is looking out for ya. Take it before she changes her mind! Looks like a ride from all the new age and mature Adam Sandler movies. Playing hiphop in a forester with a sleeping baby. "see me Rollin.." with head bobbing to the beats. That color Forester is classy

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
willn513 said:
No way to keep both. Limited space...

ohhhhh, i didnt realize it was a space issue. That's a bummer man! Honestly, if you are cool with another car payment, the forrester is probably better just because of the long term reliability. Sure, you can get another 80k on the tb easy, it will probably be more like 200k on the forester. On a side note, i dont know what i'd do if i had to give up midnight!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
willn513 said:
No way to keep both. Limited space...

I hear that! Same problem. Told the wife I dont want to look at a house unless it has 3stalls minimum. I've got a pocket full of $$ for a fun/toy car and no where to put it:frown:

Ddonnie hit it home with the reliability issue. And how I'll feel when the TB isn't mine anymore

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Kind of a no brainer... adios TB... just shop around the different places/dealerships/or local sale and let her go to the place that will give you the most for her... better mpg's, paid off fast, room for the family, you know the vehicle history... win win all the way around in my book...

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
I'd have to let the TB go also. I would love to have an Impreza or Outback. Almost bought an Outback when I was in Alaska, but the damn things are made of gold up there. Shop around for the best price for selling the TB. Since its just a space issue, you wont be in a hurry to get rid of it and can get the best price for it that you can. Any friends live in a high traffic area? Would let you park in front of their house to get it seen? You or your wife work in a high traffic area? Drive it to work, and park near the street for visibility. Good luck in what you decide...

willn513

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I think I am going to pull the trigger...

But there is a catch/silver lining to this whole thing.

I knew my mom had to have an motive here and I was right! My sister just finished grad school in Atlanta and she and her husband are moving back to Cincinnati at the end of June. If you know anything about grad school then you know they are also dead broke. So here's the deal: #1 I GIVE my sister and brother-in-law my beloved TB. #2 Mom sells me the '09 Forester for $8000. I am glad that the TB will go to a family member although I am TERRIFIED of what they will do to her. They are notorious for not maintaining their vehicles and letting them get beat all to hell. In a way, the plus side is that they will be living in Cincy now so I'll be able to keep a watchful eye on my ol' girl...

In the end it really does make sense for all parties involved. I get a 2009 Forester at $8K (KBB on it now is around $16K), my sister and BIL get the second vehicle that they really do need now, and Mom gets to go shopping for a 2014 whatever she wants:biggrin:

My dad also planted a terrible idea in my head. He said "Well if you don't like the Subaru after a while you could always sell it or trade it in on something you really do want." Man oh man could there be a 07 or newer Tahoe or Avy in my future???

So that's all for now, I'll keep you guys posted. We won't do this deal until the end of June so I have a few more weeks with my baby... In fact I have one last hurrah with a road trip to Gatlinburg, TN this weekend. I am really looking forward to getting her down in the mountains and cruising through the scenic roads. Plus my Mom and Dad are meeting us down there as well and I'll get to drive the Subie a little to feel it out.

Sorry so long- I just really have doubts about parting ways with my TB. Silly, I know, but I really am attached to it... You can see that here:http://gmtnation.com/f18/milestone-trailblazer-throttle-body-4143/#post80321

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
gas mileage aint everything. My MIL gave me her TB, that's how I got mine. She got a vue, two years later, she bought a newer TB, just simply loved the trucks so much. Reliability is the big factor. Cost is something to consider, is the Forester still covered by a warranty ? is it transferrable to you without a cost ? Can you afford the payment, and fixing it ? Value wise it is a good deal, but if your TB breaks, you take the money and fix it. If the Forester breaks do you have the money after making the payment ?

Just things to consider.

And BTW, my MIL also owns a Forester, 2007, been a good car so far.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Dude its hard to part with a car I had trouble letting go of 2002 LT for my SS and the SS is not leaving its not happening I will buy a scooter or an absolute junker if she needs a rebuild. BEST TRUCK EVER MADE! But there is common sense which some people have but I let my love for the truck overcome that whole area haha.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
You can store your TB in my mancave, and visit it on the weekends. :thumbsup:

My opinion on the Forester...

My wife bought a 2005 new. It now has over 150K. Hardly anything has gone wrong with it. It gets great mileage.
IF IT'S NECESSARY to replace your TB, I would recommend a Forester.

(with that said...my wife just bought something else, but is keeping her Forester)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online