Need Opinions

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I have some rust on the inside of my doors that I am going to use Chassis Saver Rust Convertor on and one spot has shown up on the outer door edge as well. Also have a couple minor dings in lower driver door and tons of rock chips and scratches from wheeling. So I got a gallon of Black Monstaliner as well to do the outside of the doors. Problem is I am not sure how I want to do it or now that I removed the side moldings, if I even want to cause I like how it looks and I could possibly just sand and touch up the outer lil spot. Size of 1/2 a quarter on bottm of door.

So my options are...

Leave it as is and just do inner doors and touch up the lil spot on outside...

Do the bottom 5-6 inches to where the curve smoothes out..(sorry for crappy MS paint)

Do up to level with the front and rear bumpers for a basically straight line around the truck...(older photoshop)

Do the lower doors and over the fender flares as well...(Older photoshop)

Any thoughts from people? I will likely try an initial test with some plasti-dip, but the MonstaLiner is a gloss finish and texture that matches my powdercoated bumpers. Plasti will be dull and flat, but is removable.

Bad Bowtie

May 15, 2013
I'd go for option 4. Doing those fender flares looks awesome and you'll take care of the rust issues at the same time.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Bad Bowtie said:
I'd go for option 4. Doing those fender flares looks awesome and you'll take care of the rust issues at the same time.

I have zero rust issues on the fenders. Rust is fixed with any of the options. You cant see the rust inside the doors.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I like pic #1 the best, all white and fix the spot on the outside, to me it seems you lose too much white by adding the black. If you do go with the black bottom then definitley pic#4. I don't like pic #2 or #3 at all. That's my opinion...

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Showtyme said:
#4 gives it a nice two tone look and looks more aggressive.

plus you have your black plasti dipped hood to match things :yes:

if you do change things up... go all out... option 4 is the best to me...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Option 3 looks real clean, nice lines.

The flares on option 4 look good and seem to match what your intentions are, but every time I go back to 3 after looking at 4 I still find #3 has that "almost factory" look, or what an option should have been. Tough call.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Flares are not the intention. Actually do not want too much black but could be nice to hide/fix some existing issues.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I like #1, you have a nice truck :thumbsup:

Personally I thought I might have been looking at an older model Jeep with the line in #3...
#4 if the rust was eating through the doors.

I find that unless you have a really cool custom paint job, mixing white and black almost 50/50 on truck doesn't appeal to me. One has to be dominate, too much contrast IMHO.

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
I like 1 and 3
Nice truck! Them mods/upgrades would look good on my tb :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Option #3 looks the best IMO. I like how the line is level with the bumpers. Plus leaves you with the option to do the fender flares in you choose down the road.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Can anyone with some PS skills do me a favor and try to take the first picture then add a small strip along bottom of the doors and the flares in black? Kinda a combo of 2 and 4.

I tried but it came out awful.

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
I personally like #2 the best, then #3...not sure why but not fond of the fenders....

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Forgive me for asking, but have you thought of black wheels or ever have em? I think #1 with black wheels would look badass!

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Forgive me for asking, but have you thought of black wheels or ever have em? I think #1 with black wheels would look badass!

God don't give him another idea for changing his wheels lol

I love the black chrome wheels...Kyle if you change them out again...ugh lol

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I had black wheels and still hate them. They look like cheapass ghetto spares painted by poor high school punk. I cant wait for that trend to go away.

I do have the beadlocks I could put on there...

Had chrome, black chrome, black, white, bare aluminum, polished, steel, and even orange on there at different times. I keep going back to the black chrome. Nothing else really compares even though they have had the shit kicked out of them and are missing chunks, scratched and peeled. My chrome always gets me home.

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
Ha didn't even realize you had went through that many types of wheels. Keep what ya got lol

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Not to mention I ran 15s, 16s, 17s, and 20s on there.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I had black wheels and still hate them. They look like cheapass ghetto spares painted by poor high school punk. I cant wait for that trend to go away.
... My chrome always gets me home.

lol, cool no worries. Thought so but I didnt think you'd get some used looking rims. Some look badass for me. My buddy with the 4runner has black wheels, ditched chrome, and I get happyhappy everytime I see it. Like I shouldn't look but I do. And long look I do....

How about painting the whole thing? Sorry I like black more than white. Just a white roof? Just throwing ideas out because it sounds like you make it happen!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
If I paint much more than this little bit, it will be some crazy color. Neon green or blue or urban camo or orange or something out there. I like the white far better than black as a whole color. Plus black or dark colors show scratches far worse and my paint looks like it was raped by forks.

A few vehicles look ok with black wheels, but few and far between to me. Even brand new expensive wheels in black look like spares to me. Wheels are supposed to be shiny and tires are supposed to be dirty. :biggrin:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Urban Camo!

Do you leave the wheels chrome then or match em camo if you go that route?

Camo! Camo! Camo!

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I love the last option, doors and fender flares.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Urban Camo!

Do you leave the wheels chrome then or match em camo if you go that route?

Camo! Camo! Camo!

Yep CAMO! Someone take that photo and photo shop or whatever it is you do and show us some CAMO options....

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Zebra stripes and hide in with the Land Rovers...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Hey Kyle, I like pic #4....

Funny thing is, I have been thinking about getting my truck LINE-X'd kinda like pic #4. But on my black truck won't make much of a drastic appearance difference. I am thinking about from the top of the front fender, and then taking a straight line back from there, so it would run right above the door handles and hit right at the top of the taillight. I'm kinda tossing it around. But I think I will get the bumpers done first just to see how it grabs me. Worst case scenario, just the bumpers get done, and I can live with that. (The other thing I was tossing around is a full vinyl wrap, like a matte army green. :crazy: )

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Scooter Scott said:
How about black blotches all over and it can be a big cow.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Zebra stripes and hide in with the Land Rovers...

:rotfl:

That would be funny to get some vinyl scraps and do for a wknd.

I like MikeinDe's thought of a matte green wrap. Are there any concerns with the body surface after removing a wrap that has been on for a few wks/mo.s? wouldn't think so if it was cleaned beforehand?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
mikeinDE said:
Hey Kyle, I like pic #4....

Funny thing is, I have been thinking about getting my truck LINE-X'd kinda like pic #4. But on my black truck won't make much of a drastic appearance difference. I am thinking about from the top of the front fender, and then taking a straight line back from there, so it would run right above the door handles and hit right at the top of the taillight. I'm kinda tossing it around. But I think I will get the bumpers done first just to see how it grabs me. Worst case scenario, just the bumpers get done, and I can live with that. (The other thing I was tossing around is a full vinyl wrap, like a matte army green. :crazy: )

Regulator did plastidip from body line above handles down. Black on black. Not too bad.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I think the black that isn't all the way up the doors and the black fender flares would look nice...

I vote picture 2 with black fender flares, kind of like the 2 tone LTZ's. I think Phantom is working on PS to get an example.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Can anyone with some PS skills do me a favor and try to take the first picture then add a small strip along bottom of the doors and the flares in black? Kinda a combo of 2 and 4.

I tried but it came out awful.

I was thinking the same thing i like the look of two tone Like this but with more of the two tone one the doors like picture 2.

I gave it my best shot lol

View attachment 28346

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 15

matrixTBNF

Nov 28, 2013
duckyweed said:
I like pic4 . been thinking of plasti coat on my tb in that pattern. like the two tone north face addition
#4 all the way !:2thumbsup:

well HARDTRAILZ did you made the change ? any pics? :undecided:

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have some rust on the inside of my doors that I am going to use Chassis Saver Rust Convertor on and one spot has shown up on the outer door edge as well. Also have a couple minor dings in lower driver door and tons of rock chips and scratches from wheeling. So I got a gallon of Black Monstaliner as well to do the outside of the doors. Problem is I am not sure how I want to do it or now that I removed the side moldings, if I even want to cause I like how it looks and I could possibly just sand and touch up the outer lil spot. Size of 1/2 a quarter on bottm of door.

So my options are...

Leave it as is and just do inner doors and touch up the lil spot on outside...

Do the bottom 5-6 inches to where the curve smoothes out..(sorry for crappy MS paint)

Do up to level with the front and rear bumpers for a basically straight line around the truck...(older photoshop)

Do the lower doors and over the fender flares as well...(Older photoshop)

Any thoughts from people? I will likely try an initial test with some plasti-dip, but the MonstaLiner is a gloss finish and texture that matches my powdercoated bumpers. Plasti will be dull and flat, but is removable.

Option 4 is what i am going to do to mine, but i am also doing the top a Midnight Special color monstaliner. I think it'd look awesome any way you go. Looks a lot different without the moldings. I like it! :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
matrixTBNF said:
#4 all the way !:2thumbsup:

well HARDTRAILZ did you made the change ? any pics? :undecided:

Skipped on the monstaliner and still have not got the inner doors done with chassis saver but will asap. Outside I stripped most decals and the hood is all white again. Went simple and really liking it. Did switch up the wheels and tires and that added to it. It looks like this now....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online