Need help with oil pressure sending unit

Willisman

Original poster
Feb 4, 2024
Bradford tn
Have a 2010 silverado 5.3 vortec. Oil pressure sending unit stopped working been showing stuck a little above zero. No lights or warnings on dash. Replaced it with new one and it started showing 40 psi then starts falling down to zero and red oil can light comes on and dinging starts. Motor seems to still have pressure. Turn off and turn on and light goes off then repeats. Can I disconnect the plug going to it so the dinging stops at this point would rather not have gauge and no dings. Pain in the butt to get to or I would just try another sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

When you changed out the Oil Pressure Sensor...Did you also use a Pick to extract the Old Oil Pressure Sensor Filter Basket buried (submerged) directly underneath it? If not... This Link to RockAuto is where to get a Brand New One that will probably solve this Low Oil Pressure Issue since they tend to collect a lot of Black Carbon Mung that will prevent the OPS Unit from sensing pressure correctly:

917-143-007.jpg

Barring this action... you can also install an Analog Oil Pressure Gauge via the External Oil Pressure Feed Port located on the Front, Driver's Side of the Block and Thread In an M16 X 1.5 Metric to 1/4" NPT (Nat'l Pipe Thread) Adapter and run a slender White Nylon or Copper Coil Line through the Firewall and into an Analog Oil Pressure Gauge via this Kit:

DORMANOILPRESSUREKIT1.jpgDORMANOILPRESSUREKIT2.jpg

Several companies sell this M16 X 1.5 X 1/4" NPT Line Adapter:

LSXINNOVATIONSOPADAPTER.jpg

Of course...It follows on that Changing the Oil Filter and Motor Oil to Quality Products like using Mobil1 5W-30 Engine Oil and a Mobil1 Oil Filter should be THE priority action to take...

BUT ONLY AFTER ...You First Drain the Old Oil and Toss the Old Oil Filter and install a Cheap Oil Filter and some Cheap, Organic 5W-30 Motor Oil along with substituting One Quart of ATF and then running the Engine briefly to clean out the Motor Sludge.

THIS is the Best Course of Action to perform BEFORE using the Quality Mobil1 Products and then ONLY AFTERWARDS... replacing that Oil Pressure Sensor Filter Basket...lest it become clogged up all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Willisman

Original poster
Feb 4, 2024
Bradford tn
Awesome. Thanks for the help fellas. I usually always run mobile one 5w30 and filter but good to know on cleaning the sludge out. I will give it a shot. Can't get much better than this forum ask for help... got it... appreciate it

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online