N00B Tech 2 help

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Hi all got my clone tech 2 yesterday ( 2 day shipping from HK !) and tested it out off the car and installed tis2000
trying to diagnose a suspected bad BCM see my post in in the technical section for trailblazers if you care . The car as gotten progressively worse so much so that its a bit scary to drive at time .
went to do some basic tasks with the tech 2 just now to get used to it .
when I requested info it only showed one module which is weird .
when i went to request DTC codes i got an error no communication message.
i'm not sure if I need a candi module for 06 rainier will it cause a problem using the candi if not needed ?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Link Answers the Question about how the CANdi behaves once hooked up to the Tech 2 in a Transparent Mode ...and that it functions only when the Tech 2 commands it to do certain things:

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/sites/pro/files/tech_2_candi_users_guide.pdf

This Link provides more Guidance and Screen Prints How To Set Up The Tech 2 and CANdi Units and TEST their combined functionality and which Vehicles require the Tech 2-to-CANDi Units to be paired up during Tech 2 Diagnostics:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/10/06/tech2-candi-interface-manual/

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
i'm not sure if I need a candi module for 06 rainier will it cause a problem using the candi if not needed ?

In one word, no. I leave it plugged in all the time. If it's not needed, the Tech 2 bypasses it (or something like that).

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
In one word, no. I leave it plugged in all the time. If it's not needed, the Tech 2 bypasses it (or something like that).
yes after careful re reading the information it references that .
but on another note the vci self test failed , looks like ill need a new vci the loopback test failed too even though it was installed .

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
ok got the vci test to pass .... helps if you use use the loop back adapter . thought the loopback adapter was the one that goes in the rs232 port .
just some help to those who get a clone out of china , my adapters are labeled wrong the loop back adapter should be marked gm3000109 but mine has gm3000098
as well as some adapter saying "MADL IN USA" comical

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I know that you have probably followed these procedures... but watch this video which shows the VOP's choice of DLC Cable Test Adapter and how he performs a quick R&R of the VCI Unit into and out of the Tech 2. This may better exercise the VCI to Logic Board Contact. He then goes through the normal Loopback testing:

This other Video shows some additional Loopback sub-testing to help narrow down VCI Failures in greater detail:

Last edited:

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
yes I finally watched that first video and realized the loopback adapter I was using was wrong , if you didn't read that I got it working.
went out with the cadi module on and it works !!! did some quick testing and dtc information , such a relief now that I got somewhere .
Baby steps haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.