Mystery plastic cover found - where does it go?

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I found this laying on top of the skid plate a few weeks ago. Any idea what the heck it is?

I bought the truck a couple months ago and am still finding little surprises here and there. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck. :wootwoot:

View attachment 26265

View attachment 26266

Thank you much.

Attachments

• P1050092.jpg
    P1050092.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 31
  • P1050094.jpg
    P1050094.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 30

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
View attachment 26268.jpg]I am guessing the pcm connector back cover. Look at the computer on the left side of the engine. if you see the wires in the back of the connector that is the cover for those wires.

Attachments

• 892951[1].jpg
    892951[1].jpg
    96 KB · Views: 49

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
View attachment 12226I am guessing the pcm connector back cover. Look at the computer on the left side of the engine. if you see the wires in the back of the connector that is the cover for those wires.

Good call on this. That's exactly what it is. Wonder if its been tuned!?!

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Dumb question. How do you determine if a previous owner had it tuned? Given my gas mileage, I highly doubt it. :no:

Back when I raced my '94 Firebird, I had software on my laptop (LT1Edit) that allowed me to tune the PCM (fuel trims, spark advance, tire size, gear rations, etc, etc, etc). It was bad ass and obviously logged / graphed data too.

I have never heard anyone speak of "home tuning" software on this site. Only aftermarket tuners where you send your PCM and pray it comes back tuned how you want it. I have Torque, but that is just a reader.

This is probably better for another thread, but I thought I would ask since you mentioned it. :wink:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
EFILive, HPTuners, and TunerCats/Jet DST all support the 02-05 I6, EFILive and HPTuners support 06+ engines as well, TunerCats/Jet DST does not.

Any tuner on here making a tune is using one or more of these tuning suites plus some homebrew knowledge/patches.

Lets just say its a whole different ball game than an LT1, especially when you throw in 2x the table resolution and sample times plus fun stuff like VVT. The formulas can get complex lol.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
One of the most common places people with these vehicles send their PCM is PCMforless. You could email them your vin and see of they have any record of it. Other than that (and asking the previous owner if that's possible) I'm not sure how else you could tell.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry, but the off topic fun was getting in the way of the on topic posting. I'm just as guilty as anyone. :redface:

I've cleaned it up so the thread can get back on track.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online