My new radio 2009 Pioneer AVIC-Z110bt doesn’t have on/off switch

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
My new radio 2009 Pioneer AVIC-Z110bt doesn’t have on/off switch

Recently installed a new radio in my 05 chevy express 3500 van.

The radio needs a constant 12VDC GMs yellow wire an a switched 12VDC red wire.

Since my radio doesn’t have a on/off switch like the OEM radio I’m thinking I may have to splice a switch inbetween the switched 12VDC yellow. Will doing this effect anything other than the radio? thanksAVIC tilted.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What adapter did you use? If it's wired correctly, the adapter should shut off the radio properly, including after the retained accessory power's (RAP) 10 minutes.

If you didn't use an adapter, then one wire is constant power and another is the turn on/off wire that will need to be connected to a switched accessory wire.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
What adapter did you use?RP4 GM11 If it's wired correctly, the adapter should shut off the radio properly, including after the retained accessory power's (RAP) 10 minutes.

If you didn't use an adapter, then one wire is constant power and another is the turn on/off wire that will need to be connected to a switched accessory wire.
I used the rp4 GM11 (I have retained all warnings/chimes fuel low warning key left in ign. lights on ect an the radio will turn on/off by itself) same adaptor I used in the Saab

it's wired correctly. problem is Pioneer didn't put a on/off switch on the radio weird.
I'm forced to put a switch inbetween the ACC red switched 12VDC Probally on the adaptor side.
I was concerned that other GM stuff mite be dependant on the switched 12VDC.

at the GM radio group of wires it appears to only feed radio but doe's it feed farrer up wire harness? thanks Mooseman

the radio is very nice.IMO it's the best they ever made compared to the foreign made stuff today.
I have read most of the 200 page operators manual an most of the installation manual, on/off switch is never mentioned why not at least mention you can't turn it of dam.
comments:
Pioneer surport has confirmed this radio doesn't have a on/off switch.
it's really more than a radio/NAV it's a PC that boots so iut takes over 30 seconds to turn on haven't timed it yet but proballey 1 minute to be playing a source. it makes noise associated w/ a running PC the fan being the loudest kindof annoying.sound quaility is amazing w/ some inexpensive JBL GTO 3ohm componets front an rear no amp or sub needed.
part2:
this radio can reach inside temps of over 180* farinhieght even more weirdness.
I sure hope I cut enough of the dash surport out to allow adequate ventalation BC back of radio is contacting the ledge (not the flat vertical part but the horizontal legdeGM added to behind the radio unlike some vans w/ onstar there dash didn't have this legde.more weirdness.
AVIC mount cavity.jpg

AVICZ110BTwiring2.jpg
one more thing I'm concerned w/ replugging in the air bag. is there a procedure to do this?

I can at minimum disconnect neg of battery but should the keyed switch be turned off before replugging in that square yellow plug? I've never tryed but is the ignition key used to turn on an off the airbag?
certainly don't want AB blowing up in my face. thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My reading shows the rp4 GM11 as the correct module..

But it also shows that it provides a switched wire, with RAP.

So something isnt right.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al

So something isnt right.
yes you correct the rp4-gm11 has the yellow constant an the red acc switched the problem is the Pioneer doesn't have a phyiscal button/touch screen button on/off switch.
haven't recieved the voice command microphone but arn't optimistic voice control will turn on or off.

so I'm forced to add my own togle switch inbetween the switched 12VDC. was concerned where to splice in was thinking splice into the rp4 end instead of the GM end. thanks.no on off switch.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So in the diagram above, the red wire is needing to be wired to a 12v switched lead from the vehicle.

The problem I see is that the RP4 GM11 does NOT have a switched terminal, just a constant on the yellow wire.

The PAC RP5 GM11 appears to fix this issue?

Another option is to find another 12v switched lead, and use that. But that is the issue.

The PAC RP5 GM11, per crutchfield, with or without onstar, shows to be the correct interface module.

It comes down to figuring out if your vehicle has a Class 2 DataBus or not.

1719433230179.png
There is also a RP3 GM11... Just a lot of options..

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
So in the diagram above, the red wire is needing to be wired to a 12v switched lead from the vehicle.

The problem I see is that the RP4 GM11 does NOT have a switched terminal, just a constant on the yellow wire.

The PAC RP5 GM11 appears to fix this issue?

Another option is to find another 12v switched lead, and use that. But that is the issue.

The PAC RP5 GM11, per crutchfield, with or without onstar, shows to be the correct interface module.

It comes down to figuring out if your vehicle has a Class 2 DataBus or not.

View attachment 113761
There is also a RP3 GM11... Just a lot of options..

the rp4gm11 does have both constant 12vdc yellow an red switched12vdc what they referr to as acc. accesary https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/r...for-the-rp4-gm11-instruction-manual-pac-audio

looks like I'll be forced to splice at the red acc. thanks tollkeeper

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So if the RP4 has the red wire that is switched, you need to find out why it isnt powering off..

So lets start with a simple diagnostic..

Key on, doors closed, radio on:
Turn Key off.
Do the interior lights turn on?
Open the door, does the radio power off?
Open all other doors, does the radio turn off?
Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one), lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once?

There is a method to the madness here, trust me.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
So if the RP4 has the red wire that is switched, you need to find out why it isnt powering off..it will power off w/ key off an driver door opens

Key on, doors closed, radio on:yes radio turns on by itself
Turn Key off. radio will continue to play for I think 15 minutes then turn itself off
Do the interior lights turn on? yes when doors open then go off after like 20 seconds
Open the door, does the radio power off? yes
Open all other doors, does the radio turn off?only tested driver door
Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one)yes, lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once?

There is a method to the madness here, trust me.responses in bold
additionaly the lights on key in ign. warning comes on when door is open
same w/ keys left in ignition engine off door open she chimes.
low fuel level warning.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So if the RP4 has the red wire that is switched, you need to find out why it isnt powering off..it will power off w/ key off an driver door opens

Key on, doors closed, radio on:yes radio turns on by itself
Turn Key off. radio will continue to play for I think 15 minutes then turn itself off
Do the interior lights turn on? yes when doors open then go off after like 20 seconds
Open the door, does the radio power off? yes
Open all other doors, does the radio turn off?only tested driver door
Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one)yes, lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once?

There is a method to the madness here, trust me.responses in bold
additionaly the lights on key in ign. warning comes on when door is open
same w/ keys left in ignition engine off door open she chimes.
low fuel level warning.
So this response in confusing...

Key on, doors closed, radio on:yes radio turns on by itself - Normal
Turn Key off. radio will continue to play for I think 15 minutes then turn itself off - Normal RAP
Do the interior lights turn on? yes when doors open then go off after like 20 seconds - Normal
Open the door, does the radio power off? yes - Normal
Open all other doors, does the radio turn off?only tested driver door - K
Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one)yes, lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once? - Not Normal.

With the door open, and you pressing the lock function on your FOB, it should honk twice to let you know that A Door is not closed.

That said... I think I misunderstood your original post. The radio is operating normally, but there is no way to actually turn it off.

So I reviewed the owners manual, and no where in there does it say how to turn it off. The closest I can get is holding the home button, but it appears that only turns off the display, and not the unit itself.

SO I think your only option is to either figure out how to quickly access the mute button, or, wire in a switch to the red wire as you suggested above.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
So this response in confusing...

Key on, doors closed, radio on:yes radio turns on by itself - Normal
Turn Key off. radio will continue to play for I think 15 minutes then turn itself off - Normal RAP
Do the interior lights turn on? yes when doors open then go off after like 20 seconds - Normal
Open the door, does the radio power off? yes - Normal
Open all other doors, does the radio turn off?only tested driver door - K
Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one)yes, lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once? - Not Normal.

With the door open, and you pressing the lock function on your FOB, it should honk twice to let you know that A Door is not closed.

That said... I think I misunderstood your original post. The radio is operating normally, but there is no way to actually turn it off.

So I reviewed the owners manual, and no where in there does it say how to turn it off. The closest I can get is holding the home button, but it appears that only turns off the display, and not the unit itself.

SO I think your only option is to either figure out how to quickly access the mute button, or, wire in a switch to the red wire as you suggested above.
yes I'm forced to install a switch inbetween the red ACC wire probaley safer on rp4 side. from behind the radio the red ACC physically appear to just be part of the radio circuit. I looked at the schematic that azswiss chimed in w/ but didn't know what I was looking at.

for a few weeks it didn't even dawn on me how to turn this thing off w/ engine running could pause or mute. then I slowly found out there isn't a on/off switch.
what idiot at pioneer came up w/ this brilliant idea dam? will report back w/ switch after installed.thanks toolkeeper azswiss an mooseman

edit:Close all doors, but leave the drivers door open. With your FOB (assuming you have one)yes, lock the vehicle by pressing twice on the lock button. Does the horn honk twice, or once? - Not Normal
when I did this test the driver door was actuelly closed.

my car is the same w/ both doors closed she only honks once. I will try this test again w/ driver door open an report back. is it suposed to honk twice w/ any door open?
edit2: yes I read on page 27 of the 200 page operater manual you can blacken screen by holding the home button, but the radio is still powered on this blackening of screen is like a dimmer when cruising at night.

Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
The vans been sitting for 2-3 weeks undriven or cranked up. She has been sitting for twice that a bunch of times w/out any battery drain.

Just now went out to install the switch on the switched 12VDC an battery was dead down to 4.6VDC dam.

Right when I connected the battery charger w/ out the key in ignition the radio started playing the same song last played dam an it’s not on repeat play.

only way I know this could happen is the radio was getting both constant an switched 12VDC an I don’t leave the keys in the ign.

I checked the wiring an these 2 connections where securely taped.

Only thing I can think of that would cause the radio to come on w/out the key is a faulty rp4 adaptor or the radio itself.

Initially I thought the el-cheapo burgular alarm (I recently installed so I could keep my new radio)sucked down the battery but when the radio came on w/out the key in I think that isolated the alarm.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This one I cant help with... I suck at electrical gremlins, never was much of a electrical diag person

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CISR2K

Members Online