My muffler... uh... peed on me.

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was checking for fluid leaks after putting the trans pan back on, and I felt something tinkling on my abdomen. What appeared to be water was bubbling from the bottom of the front seam of the muffler, presumably owed to the same myterious force of nature that causes it to drip from the occasional tailpipe. I am no mufflerologist, but I have to assume that the muffler shouldnt be leaking water from a seam. No codes, no leaky exhaust sound, and MPG is normal. Do I need to do anything about my R. Kelly of the exhaust world or am I good to ignore it and let its freak flag fly?

Thanks,

LT

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
There is a weap hole to allow condensation that's built up to drip out.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's just escaping condensation. Weld the seam up if it bothers you.

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
No need to weld it unnecessarily, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to budget for a new muffler in the near future. Thanks for the help, gents.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
You should always let your truck go pee before you work on it.

This thread is that reason why. :biggrin:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
harmless said:
You should always let your truck go pee before you work on it.

This thread is that reason why. :biggrin:

Cruising thru and saw last post by: harmless... I just HAD to see the comment...

rktb

Sep 8, 2013
I just had a scenario that could shed some light on excessive dripping of exhaust. I have the problem with secondary air injection gone bad. I had it by my brother and put it up on hoist. Took off the secondary air injection pump and it is filled with water. After checking out the pump it is toast from being water logged for too long. So I figured the solenoid valve has gone bad and is why my pump is filled with water. I just left pump off until I got the new parts. The two hoses leading to this pump are just sitting there unhooked up to anything.After about two weeks of running like this I started having excessive dripping from front of exhaust. So I'm wondering if leaving those hoses unhooked and if solenoid valve is stuck open that there may be a connection? I will be replacing the parts soon and find out if this goes away,

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you removed the pump, you should have an exhaust leak unless you used a block off plate. The hoses disconnected will allow unfiltered air into the intake so you should plug those up. Were you/are getting a CEL and code?

All the SAIS does is inject extra air into the exhaust during warmup to get the CAT hot more quickly. When it's working, it will likely create more water and condense in the still cold muffler. A few have eliminated the troublesome SAIS by using a block off plate (either Lime-Swap or one from a 2002-2003 junker) and getting the codes tuned out so they don't show up during e-tests. This all depends on the type of e-test you are subject to but I think it will pass everywhere except in California. You can get the plate and tune from Lime-Swap, also a forum member.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online