moving to the dark side!!

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
So we have officially named our Tb Christine! After many trip to the dealership, parts replaced, stalling, check gauges, and all that fun stuff I may unload the Tb and move away from gm! :eek: I have been lookin at the armadas a lot lately. Especially after I barrowed my brother in-laws titan to tow my 6x12 tandem to move my aunt. Plus we need more room! The Tb is awesome if its just me, my wife, and our two lil ones but that's it. We can't fit anyone else in the back comfortably! It sucks but this Chevy has soured my taste for GM's!!! :no:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Boy! do I know how these things can make you fall out of love with your vehicle after a point you just want it gone.I made a brief jump to my first Ford ever and after two trans jobs jumped back to GM with my present truck.Before you make the move though be realistic with yourself about what you can expect from 9 year old vehicle in terms of repairs,most often the repairs are far less than new car payments and increased collision insurance..just sayin'..Mike.

ps besides, being that you're in AZ that body has to be mint.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Ya that's true. Everything seemed to go down hill after the new (reman) motor went in. Atleast twice a month I'm stopping in the service dept at the dealer to have them check something else. It's bad when you have both your service advisor and your mechanics personal cell phone numbers haha! Plus I need something with a lil more towing capacity the Tb struggles too much even with the trailer being empty. I have always been a fan of the titan and armadas. The extra seating capacity would be nice as well.

northcreek said:
ps besides, being that you're in AZ that body has to be mint.

Ya minus a few lil things the body is pretty straight and the paint isn't fading at all quick is good since most vehicles paint don't last long out here

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
You could always get the EXT TB..has the 3rd row seat, and possibly a bit more towing capacity. Just my 2 pennies! Good luck no matter which way you decide to go!

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I have been lurking around on a titan forum and a armada forum but I still have a lot time to decide which way I'm going to go.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Voymom said:
You could always get the EXT TB..has the 3rd row seat, and possibly a bit more towing capacity!

Don't forget the V8:wink:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
cmatb08 said:
Plus I need something with a lil more towing capacity the Tb struggles too much even with the trailer being empty.

What kind of trailer? Must be a big heavy son of a bitch. These things tow really well and even with my big tires I can tow plenty.

northcreek said:
Don't forget the V8:wink:

Esp if you get one in a SWB. Less weight in the truck so can likely tow more.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
It's a 6x12 enclosed tandem. "Dry weight" is 1550. Completely empty we run anywhere between 2300-2800 rpm.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
cmatb08 said:
It's a 6x12 enclosed tandem. "Dry weight" is 1550. Completely empty we run anywhere between 2300-2800 rpm.

I've pulled a utility trailer with an estimated 4000 pounds of green fire wood approx 50 miles on some pretty hilly roads and she pulled like a bitch.And that's with 3:43 gearing.Maybe your situation(being enclosed) is more a case of wind resistance than weight...Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
cmatb08 said:

Empty w no trailer i ran 2250 rpm all the way to work.

What does rpm have to do w ability to pull a trailer?

A tune will help a ton w towing. You tried that yet?

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Empty w no trailer i ran 2250 rpm all the way to work.

What does rpm have to do w ability to pull a trailer?

The gas that goes along with pulling it. Even without the trailer we average 10-12mpgs and that's with the wife driving and idling normal.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
cmatb08 said:
The gas that goes along with pulling it. Even without the trailer we average 10-12mpgs and that's with the wife driving and idling normal.

You have other issues with the truck than towing then. I average better mpgs than that in the mountains with 35s, heavy bumpers and skidplates, the lift, and a fully loaded roof rack.

As said...going at 2250 rpm to uphills at 3000 rpms. I averaged 14.5 mpg this morning over 70 miles and that was against the wind and rain. The rpm's are not your issue.

Do you clean your throttle body, have good plugs. clean air filter? Something is not right for your mpgs to be that low.

EDIT-- from your profile..."lowered 1.5/3.0 airaid intake and tb spacer, magnaflow cat and muffler, pcmforless tune, and 20in boss wheels"

The TB spacer is a joke and may actually be hurting your mpgs in this case. Take that BS off there. Did you tune for towing? The lockup on the convertor is key. The 20 inch wheels are a ton more rotational resistance and are definitely part of the mpg issue and probably a big part of towing problems.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
If you buy a titan dont be a cool guy and think its fast because Theres a big problem with this and tundras in st.louis.
View attachment 23397
ahaha good luck with a new ride its always somewhat stressful so keep it simple Silverado 2500 :rotfl:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
You have other issues with the truck than towing then.......
I agree with Kyle, you have other issues if your MPG is that bad.
Does your temp read exactly 210 after warm up or maybe a click below 210? If it is below 210 at all, you need a new TSTAT which is pretty common for our platform. The Tstat is a little bit of a pain so while you are in there you might as well change the temp sender as well. If you haven't changed your front 02 sensor sometimes that can get weak and cause you to run rich as well.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
You have other issues with the truck than towing then. I average better mpgs than that in the mountains with 35s, heavy bumpers and skidplates, the lift, and a fully loaded roof rack.

As said...going at 2250 rpm to uphills at 3000 rpms. I averaged 14.5 mpg this morning over 70 miles and that was against the wind and rain. The rpm's are not your issue.

Do you clean your throttle body, have good plugs. clean air filter? Something is not right for your mpgs to be that low.

EDIT-- from your profile..."lowered 1.5/3.0 airaid intake and tb spacer, magnaflow cat and muffler, pcmforless tune, and 20in boss wheels"

The TB spacer is a joke and may actually be hurting your mpgs in this case. Take that BS off there. Did you tune for towing? The lockup on the convertor is key. The 20 inch wheels are a ton more rotational resistance and are definitely part of the mpg issue and probably a big part of towing problems.

It has a brand new throttle body maybe been installed for a week. I tried to pull the spacer but the bolts won't fit flush and stick out about a half inch or so I was forced to put it back in. The tune was done for towing until the dealer flashed the pcm. The new motor I have been through 4sets of o2 sensors ac delco and Bosch both seem to only last about 2-3 months.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
navigator said:
I agree with Kyle, you have other issues if your MPG is that bad.
Does your temp read exactly 210 after warm up or maybe a click below 210? If it is below 210 at all, you need a new TSTAT which is pretty common for our platform. The Tstat is a little bit of a pain so while you are in there you might as well change the temp sender as well. If you haven't changed your front 02 sensor sometimes that can get weak and cause you to run rich as well.

It runs at 210 exactly sometimes a hair higher than the 210 mark.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like you got serious issues. I dont blame you for walking away from the truck. But dont let this experience shy you away from GM...this is definitely not the norm.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Sounds like you got serious issues. I dont blame you for walking away from the truck. But dont let this experience shy you away from GM...this is definitely not the norm.

Ever since the new motor this has honestly been the worse gm I have had! I have had owned a 91 s10 blazer, 94 s10, 97 s10 SS, 05 cobalt, and the 04 trailblazer! This one has really soured my taste for gm!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
cmatb08 said:
Ever since the new motor this has honestly been the worse gm I have had! I have had owned a 91 s10 blazer, 94 s10, 97 s10 SS, 05 cobalt, and the 04 trailblazer! This one has really soured my taste for gm!

If you shy away from GM because of 1 bad vehicle out of many good ones. Thats like dating women all your life, one cheats on you and saying your gunna turn gay.

BTW it sounds like that replacement engine is the issue.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Hatchet said:
If you shy away from GM because of 1 bad vehicle out of many good ones. Thats like dating women all your life, one cheats on you and saying your gunna turn gay.

BTW it sounds like that replacement engine is the issue.

Ya the original motor with 120k miles never ticked the replacement motor with 15-20k miles ticked like crazy!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Hatchet said:
If you shy away from GM because of 1 bad vehicle out of many good ones. Thats like dating women all your life, one cheats on you and saying your gunna turn gay

Yes!..buying an Armada= turning Gay:lipsrsealed:

Seriously,I have owned three Nissan Maximas and had major problems with all three of them,after the last one I bought an 09 Malibu LTZ and to date it has been the best vehicle we have ever owned,exceeds the Maximas in all areas.Please don't make the mistake of thinking that Nissans are bullet proof:no:...just sayin'..Mike.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
With all the money you will likely spend in gas, you could fix the TB...The Titans guzzle gas a lot more than any other V8 trucks....not trying to discourage you, but with gas prices the way they are, driving the TB compared to driving the titan would be like driving a small car compared to a suburban. Not sure about the Tundra. I only know the gas mileage issue with the titan because my dad had one as a rental truck through the company he worked for.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
northcreek said:
Yes!..buying an Armada= turning Gay:lipsrsealed:

Seriously,I have owned three Nissan Maximas and had major problems with all three of them,after the last one I bought an 09 Malibu LTZ and to date it has been the best vehicle we have ever owned,exceeds the Maximas in all areas.Please don't make the mistake of thinking that Nissans are bullet proof:no:...just sayin'..Mike.

No vehicle is bulletproof! I not saying that gms are bad vehicles I have had 5 including the tb all of them were pretty decent as far as reliability goes!

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Voymom said:
With all the money you will likely spend in gas, you could fix the TB...The Titans guzzle gas a lot more than any other V8 trucks....not trying to discourage you, but with gas prices the way they are, driving the TB compared to driving the titan would be like driving a small car compared to a suburban. Not sure about the Tundra. I only know the gas mileage issue with the titan because my dad had one as a rental truck through the company he worked for.

Gas mileage is bad but better than our tb. I'm kinda interested in tryin another brand. We had very good luck with my wife's mustang. My service advisor told me to get rid of the tb today when I called to get it in to see when I can bring it in to get checked out.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
cmatb08 said:
. I'm kinda interested in tryin another brand.

Nice of you bounce it off of the GMT members but,I think that your mind was made up in your original post.Good luck which ever way you choose to go:thumbsup:..Mike.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
northcreek said:
Nice of you bounce it off of the GMT members but,I think that your mind was made up in your original post.Good luck which ever way you choose to go:thumbsup:..Mike.

Not entirely. I do appreciate everyones help with all the questions even on this topic! :smile:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I agree after reading about all the other issues and the mileage problem that maybe walking away from the truck would be an okay way to go. There comes a point when walking away is best, especially if the constant work is going to exceed the value of the vehicle. I'm stubborn, so I don't think I would walk from the Envoy unless it was totaled. But good luck with whatever you decide to get, just make sure you don't jump into something just because you like it, could turn around and bite you in the rear later lol I know I have had and still have my fair share of issues with my Envoy, and sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I didn't buy this one.....but again it can happen to any vehicle. Again Good luck!!

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Voymom said:
I agree after reading about all the other issues and the mileage problem that maybe walking away from the truck would be an okay way to go. There comes a point when walking away is best, especially if the constant work is going to exceed the value of the vehicle. I'm stubborn, so I don't think I would walk from the Envoy unless it was totaled. But good luck with whatever you decide to get, just make sure you don't jump into something just because you like it, could turn around and bite you in the rear later lol I know I have had and still have my fair share of issues with my Envoy, and sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I didn't buy this one.....but again it can happen to any vehicle. Again Good luck!!

In all honesty the truck should have been totaled a few months ago (which I think is one of the issues with everything). My wife got side swiped on the driver side we had to replace both doors, both windows, the b pillar, the driver seat belt assembly, the rocker cover, and repaint the whole driver side of the truck. The total damage came out to 4600 bucks I think the truck only booked for mid to high 6000s. It was also broken into a month and a half before then had to replace the dash center console, two windows and paint below the rear quarter window.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
cmatb08 said:
In all honesty the truck should have been totaled a few months ago (which I think is one of the issues with everything). My wife got side swiped on the driver side we had to replace both doors, both windows, the b pillar, the driver seat belt assembly, the rocker cover, and repaint the whole driver side of the truck. The total damage came out to 4600 bucks I think the truck only booked for mid to high 6000s. It was also broken into a month and a half before then had to replace the dash center console, two windows and paint below the rear quarter window.

Wow,bad truck or is it bad luck? I guess living in a town named Surprise..anything can happen:undecided:..Mike.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
It's been through Hell! I think that might be the cause of the issue. When it got broken into they trashed the dash! Then all that damage when she got hit. Our insurance company actually stopped the repairs for a few days. The body ship saved a lot of money going through a recycling place for most if the parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online