mods?

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
so im thinking about a few things let me know what you guys think? long tube header, e-fans, a custom ground cam, and a new tune?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
cmatb08 said:
so im thinking about a few things let me know what you guys think?

:ok:

cmatb08 said:
long tube header

You'll need to get it custom made, good luck getting it @ a reasonable price

cmatb08 said:

:yes: I would do the DIY setup

cmatb08 said:
a custom ground cam

again, good luck getting it @ a reasonable price

cmatb08 said:
and a new tune?

:yes: PCM4less

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
through the dealership for the custom header all materials labor tax out the door is 1500. the tune through the dealership 500 out the door

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Then efans, then SS wheels and tires, then bumper. For yours in trade and $4000, you could have an SS.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
Then efans, then SS wheels and tires, then bumper. For yours in trade and $4000, you could have an SS.

:yes:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
$500 for a tune!!! on an I6??? :eek::eek::eek:

check out pcmforless man :crazy:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I've never seen a dealer offering long or short tube headers for an I6.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Pittdawg said:
Or a tune. I call b.s.
From a post last October on the SS site, I think you might be right:

Other than the power side of the tbss compared to the I6 and the availability of mods any other differences or issues. We are lookin at gettin a SS soon we have a I6 maxed out on the mod side of things. Intake spacer exhaust PCM 4 less tune and a new motor punched 20 over isn't enough. Been kickin around the idea of gettin a SS for awhile which was the main reason of joining this site.

Intake spacer? :rotfl:

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
the chevy dealership out here (midway chevy) has a performance area that they can custom make pretty much whatever you want! the tune they said they gm performance guy is one of the bests?...

Wooluf1952 said:
I've never seen a dealer offering long or short tube headers for an I6.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
i would love to get a ss but the insurance on one for me (under 25) is ungodly (4-500 a month) and that is too much to spend on top of the monthly payment, gas, and two kids!

the roadie said:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
i would love to get a ss but the insurance on one for me (under 25) is ungodly (4-500 a month) and that is too much to spend on top of the monthly payment, gas, and two kids!

Wait until afterwards, the insurance for me and my wife dropped about $500 over 2 years after I was 25...

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
thats what im thinking minus the turbo i would like to keep it N/A just pull a lil more power out of the i6 i have a remanned motor/ custom (if that makes sence) it was cleaned up (10 over) and then i had it punched another 10 so if i can port and polish the heads do a real mild cam and a custom set of long tube header re tune it and throw a set of 3.73s in the rear that should give us a little bit of a boost when we need it! our gas mileage is sucking right now because our fuel pump is goin out but that will be fixed this friday then ill be replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the air filter, throttle body, and throttle body spacer. has anyone ever p&p the throttle body? i know when my wife had her mustang that was a big thing that they were doing to the v6s.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
is there a way to run a cam and pick up some low end tq/throttle response thats one thing i would really like to gain it pulls real hard at about 3000rpm but doesnt really have any balls before that!!!

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
cmatb08 said:
thats what im thinking minus the turbo i would like to keep it N/A just pull a lil more power out of the i6 i have a remanned motor/ custom (if that makes sence) it was cleaned up (10 over) and then i had it punched another 10 so if i can port and polish the heads do a real mild cam and a custom set of long tube header re tune it and throw a set of 3.73s in the rear that should give us a little bit of a boost when we need it! our gas mileage is sucking right now because our fuel pump is goin out but that will be fixed this friday then ill be replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the air filter, throttle body, and throttle body spacer. has anyone ever p&p the throttle body? i know when my wife had her mustang that was a big thing that they were doing to the v6s.

found this w/ search.
http://gmtnation.com/f25/my-hannukah-gift-myself-arrived-christmas-eve-936/index2.html

remembered it being discussed

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
cmatb08 said:

The ballessness before 3000 is probably more torque management than anything else. Get a tune and it'll feel much torquier. Cams aren't available unless you weld the stockers. Head porting shows proven gains. Header will have to be custom, but you could get your stock manifold ported. The 4200 chief engineer said that there's 30 hp tied up in the exhaust system.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
cmatb08 said:
do you still have the p&p throttle body? did the idle ever fix itself?

sorry,it wasn't mine.
you will have to ask that question in that thread.
i just found the thread for you.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
limequat said:
The ballessness before 3000 is probably more torque management than anything else. Get a tune and it'll feel much torquier. Cams aren't available unless you weld the stockers. Head porting shows proven gains. Header will have to be custom, but you could get your stock manifold ported. The 4200 chief engineer said that there's 30 hp tied up in the exhaust system.

Yes, the "ballessness" off the line is from torque management... But then between taking off and 3000 the engine doesn't produce very much HP at lower RPM's.

Torque is beefy though and the curve is pretty good (constant) all the way thru the RPM range peaking around 3600.

HP doesn't peak till clear out at 6000... Depending on the year you have between 270 and 291 HP and 275-277

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Ya I think between the few things I have planned it may pick up a lil more than what it does. I think the gears and header will make a huge difference!

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
McGMT said:
Yes, the "ballessness" off the line is from torque management... But then between taking off and 3000 the engine doesn't produce very much HP at lower RPM's.

Torque is beefy though and the curve is pretty good (constant) all the way thru the RPM range peaking around 3600.

HP doesn't peak till clear out at 6000... Depending on the year you have between 270 and 291 HP and 275-277

It's a 2004

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
It's a 2004

A 2004 would be on the lower end, 2006 they squeezed out the most then after that it hovered around the top end..

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
McGMT said:
A 2004 would be on the lower end, 2006 they squeezed out the most then after that it hovered around the top end..

Power didn't change between 06-09, just the SAE method of measuring power.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.