Modernization of a Trailblazer

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
With the new trailblazer most likely never coming state side. It made me wonder what would it take? The logically thing would be for me to buy an h3 and move on. But I truely love the trailblazer body styling. So what would it take and is it even possible to make a 2005 a 2015. What I'm interested in are; fuel economy, reliability, safety and modern creature comforts. Disclosure; not something I'm going to financially challenge just curious. Because I like the h3 just don't like GM drop in quality.

Just something to make us think.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cant get a new H3 either... Not sure how that would get you something new.

Don't understand the GM drop in quality you allude to either.

My guess is you should do a few mods to what you got since you say you like it, because you don't seem to know what is available.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
northcreek said:
I would do this...Jack-up the radiator cap of your Trailblazer and drive a new Yukon Denali under it :biggrin:...Mike.
My dad used used to say this:

'Well it sounds like what will cure your problem would be to jack up the hood ornament and drive a new car underneath...'

Haha love it.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
I don't know about safety (drive better?) and reliability (buy a car made pre-1990 to avoid all the electronic crap I am currently dealing with?), but as far as fuel economy: turbo that em-effer, and creature comforts: be a man!
:smile:
Just kidding. who knows, man, I think a new Denali would fit the bill, like northcreek said.

You'd probably have to spend a cool 30 grand just to meet those 4 requirements.. by then, why bother? Fly to Russia or wherever and buy one and have it shipped here. If you went to the right country, it'd even be left hand drive, so no worries! :smile:

Reactions: Mounce

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Maybe I should've reworded what I said...... No one can argue GM reliability compared to its Asian competition. When it comes to h3, i simply used it BC it seemed comparable but offered better fuel economy, etc etc. I've in read it correctly the new tb is on the Canyon/Colorado chassis so is the h3. I really like how my trailblazer seems like it was designed for every genre of people. I have the 4wd when I need it, seating for my whole family and still comfortable, nice covered cargo area. Guess what bothers me most is the mpg lol. Sorry if this was a BS post. With my tb getting older I'm looking for options. Like whats out there for a updated engine and tranny or do I buy used and have the tranny built and the engine tuned. Thanks all.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
I'm just joshin' ya, no hard feelings.

I would tune the PCM, get a rebuilt jasper tranny if yours is dead, dying, or you are scared of it, and install a badass stereo system. Not sure what else, but there are TONS of mods to be done, even despite the lack of aftermarket support. In a thread called 'turbo time?' someone even posted about a turbocharger manifold for a 4.2 I6. It can be done, I also saw on youtube a vidya of a guy who put a supercharger from a Ford Cobra Mustang on his 4.2 trailblazer (although this would TANK your mpg's.) http://youtu.be/WUFjNSsI_EU

What else guys?

Reactions: Limestone

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
H3 is poorer fuel economy. But you could get a manual 5 speed so that is fun.

joeredspecial

Mar 23, 2012
Have you ever driven a H3? I did when I was younger before they were released, it was a real let down. The I5 doesn't give enough power and it just doesn't feel good to drive. I'd have to get a V8 H3 to even think about it, but then you run into the fuel economy issue again.

The real tragedy is that we never got to see the H4, which could have been exactly what we all wanted. If there was a choice between the H4 and a 2015 Trailblazer, I'd probably pick the H4.

In terms of an actual replacement for the 360, you're pretty much stuck with getting a Tahoe/Yukon. If I had a family and was adamant about RWD/4WD, I'd get a previous gen, lightly used Tahoe. They are wonderful to drive and get the same or better fuel economy.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
It's expensive but you could install a 6l80/6l90 transmission. It would both increase low end and add at least a mpg or two. Since you would have to mod the pcm with that anyways the right tune could earn you another mpg or two. Last I checked it was about $5K investment.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The older 02-05 PCM can't handle a 6 speed transmission. Not sure whether an 06+ could or not.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Sparky said:
The older 02-05 PCM can't handle a 6 speed transmission. Not sure whether an 06+ could or not.
I think you need a 07 or 08 with a separate TCM

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
since we're talking about impractical things, why not throw in the new 8 speed :blinkhuh: lol

personally, i'd swap in a cumins 4bt. Then I'd buy a popeyes chicken joint, and run the used oil through my truck :lightbulb:

then i'd never have to buy gas again, and my truck would smell like a family meal... win - win!

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
jimmyjam said:
since we're talking about impractical things, why not throw in the new 8 speed :blinkhuh: lol

personally, i'd swap in a cumins 4bt. Then I'd buy a popeyes chicken joint, and run the used oil through my truck :lightbulb:

then i'd never have to buy gas again, and my truck would smell like a family meal... win - win!
I love Popeye's. Nom nom nom.

Jared

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Since we're talking theoretically, why not buy the 2015 Colorado, rip off the bed and build your own new Trailblazer?
You could even get it with the diesel if you want.
Might be cheaper than modernizing a 15 year old design.

Reactions: Limestone

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hey now, 12 year old, don't make my first year model feel older than it is! :tongue:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Hey now, 12 year old, don't make my first year model feel older than it is! :tongue:
MIght be right about the 15 year design though. How many years prior to 2002 did they start designing and prototyping?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
True... dangit.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I think my 2002 had a build date of May 2001 iirc

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Thanks for the responses, now a diesel driven trailblazer might be the ticket lol.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
H3 is poorer fuel economy. But you could get a manual 5 speed so that is fun.
What's to be expected from driving a brick wall around? 5-speed's a plus, 5-cyl (if you don't get the Alpha or something else with the V8) is a semi-drawback. Only semi- because while it has one less cylinder, it's still an Atlas-family engine.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
I think GM is missing the boat big time by not creating a new TB for the US market. I dont mean that Equinox looking thing they make for overseas. If they made a modified version of their new Colorado with more of a Colorado or Canyon front end like shown below they would have a major hit. The Equinox is not the answer for people who need to tow something . A new TB with the GM 3.6 liter or even an updated I6 with a 8 or 9 speed to greatly improve mpg's would be a big hit . Whats the saying ? Build it and they will come!!! Oh yeah and try to keep it so a person on a normal salary can afford it !!

2015-chevrolet-trailblazer-rendered-72811_1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online