Missing Rear Shocks

Abby

Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Hey,

My boyfriend recently bought a 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT 4x4 with towing package used. The seller was a women who as I could tell was unfamiliar with cars too much. I started doing some work on it to replace both front and back shocks. We also ended up in a ditch the other day by accident and due to an unfortunate accident and when getting out we broke off the resonator so I am in the process of replacing that as well. When looking into how I will be doing that I noticed that the back has coil springs however it does not have the actual shock. Has anybody ever seen a car not having shocks and just coil springs? I have a 1996 Toyota Camry and have them.. I am just looking for a sanity check here..

I am obviously planning to add new shocks and currently looking at the Monroe Sensa-Trac. We don't really use the towing feature of it, but its nice to have for when we look to moving.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Does it have mounting spots for shocks? Does it have air bags in the springs? My ext has shocks but some models come with air bags in the springs but I think even those still have shocks.

Also, for the resonator, most people here elect to remove it and replace it with a pipe. It makes the exhaust a little louder and also cleans up the look of the rear end.

- also, WELCOME TO GMTNATION!!! :tiphat:

Abby

Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
It does have the mounting spots for shocks and I am currently not seeing any air bags in the springs.

I personally have no preference with or without the resonator. My boyfriend however would rather have the car quieter which I can understand since we live in the city area.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Abby said:
It does have the mounting spots for shocks and I am currently not seeing any air bags in the springs.

I personally have no preference with or without the resonator. My boyfriend however would rather have the car quieter which I can understand since we live in the city area.
The resonator on the exhaust really didn't seem to make much difference in the sound of my TB. It's not like taking the muffler off.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome to GMTNation.

If there are not bags inside the springs I am surprised it even rides very well.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah, the bags will be obvious if you have them. They will fill the whole inside of the spring. I'm guessing someone was extremely cheap and just took the shocks off instead of replacing them.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
You should have shocks on there and they are easy to put on (even easier since you have none now). I had one shock completely destroyed on my rear (it was there, but when I took it off you could pull or push it without recoil) and the truck still drove well on the flat. It is much better with the rear shocks replaced now so I think you will be much happier with the ride with shocks installed.

Reactions: Mounce

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
...or how he missed it in the pre-purchase inspection. No shocks might be evidence of other, less obvious neglect.

Welcome, and check out the many other things we advise doing to a freshly-purchased used truck. Especially over 100K miles. Start with all (100%, no exceptions) all fluids. Even the power steering and the brake. And especially the transfer case, which is a surprisingly short 50K mandatory change interval, not the 100K that many owners assume. And some owners ignore because they're goofs.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Abby said:
when getting out we broke off the resonator so I am in the process of replacing that as well.
Thats your truck's way of acting before you do. :raspberry: . There are many of us who have had unfortunate accidents with a sawzall and before we knew it, the resonator was sitting in the trash.

I honestly would not waste your money on replacing it. If anything, add a small piece of exhaust pipe and an exhaust tip.

Welcome to the Nation :tiphat:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Thats your truck's way of acting before you do. :raspberry: . There are many of us who have had unfortunate accidents with a sawzall and before we knew it, the resonator was sitting in the trash.

I honestly would not waste your money on replacing it. If anything, add a small piece of exhaust pipe and an exhaust tip.

Welcome to the Nation :tiphat:
I swear mine got mugged for its Resonator one day....damn dirty thieves......they took the stock muffler with it and left an aftermarket one in its place!!!!.....

Welcome to the nation

Abby

Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Okay. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their feedback and kind welcomes. I convinced him to skip on the resonator. We are going to throw a downward pipe on it because currently it fogs up his back window. As for the shocks.. I don't even know.. He is not very savvy with cars, that is my area it appears. Unfortunately during the pre-purchase inspection I failed to notice it and that is on me.. I will have to work on that sometime. He can still drive it just needs to do it carefully.. I returned the resonator and got the money back. Thanks everybody!

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Abby said:
Okay. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their feedback and kind welcomes. I convinced him to skip on the resonator. We are going to throw a downward pipe on it because currently it fogs up his back window. As for the shocks.. I don't even know.. He is not very savvy with cars, that is my area it appears. Unfortunately during the pre-purchase inspection I failed to notice it and that is on me.. I will have to work on that sometime. He can still drive it just needs to do it carefully.. I returned the resonator and got the money back. Thanks everybody!
Curious... what did the Resonator cost?

Is that fog on the outside or inside of the window? ...
If it is on the inside, then I'd get that tailpipe extended beyond the bumper asap...

If the windows are fogging up only when you are not in the vehicle, then I'd start 2nd guessing his whereabouts... :wink: :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I drove mine once without rear shocks. Halfway around the block and I was done. I could not believe the bouncing. I am surprised anyone would buy one that handled that way.

Purefection

Oct 23, 2014
Darkrider_LS said:
I swear mine got mugged for its Resonator one day....damn dirty thieves......they took the stock muffler with it and left an aftermarket one in its place!!!!.....

Welcome to the nation
14 catalytic converters and 12 mufflers were stolen this year in Winnipeg Lol. They police have no idea what they are doing with them

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Purefection said:
14 catalytic converters and 12 mufflers were stolen this year in Winnipeg Lol. They police have no idea what they are doing with them
Its the metals inside of them, especially the cats. It's been an on going problem around the Lower Mainland. It's got so bad that some of these guys are even ripping out live wires for the copper to sell. Some of these idiots have even lost their lives doing it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/copper-thieves-destroy-2-7m-bc-hydro-cable-1.882024

Reactions: BHAMER

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pretty common thing actually

Reactions: BHAMER

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmaxdob

Members Online