Min. thickness concrete for temp parking the truck to use jack/jackstands

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have gravel parking where I rent, so that makes it really difficult when I need to get under the truck for anything. My place has a concrete patio that has a layer of gravel and 3-ish inches of concrete. I got the bright (or maybe not so bright!) idea of pulling the truck onto the patio to work on it, but my biggest concern with doing that is whether or not I'd be risking cracking the concrete. Aren't most driveways 6 inches thick? Maybe for an occasional use 3 inches is OK? I'm not sure on that. Any expert advice? Maybe it is just a crazy loony idea :crazy: I rent the place so I don't want to crack the concrete (it was put in only a year ago). I'd be putting down a thick layer of cardboard to keep it clean of any oil drips.

Usually I end up going somewhere else to work on the underside of the vehicle, such as to my parents' on the weekend. However, my schedule is full every weekend for the next several weeks so it would be much better to get my oil change done today or tomorrow. Worst case scenario is I have to make time Saturday morning, but it would be a little easier to be able to do it sooner.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Sparky said:
I have gravel parking where I rent, so that makes it really difficult when I need to get under the truck for anything. My place has a concrete patio that has a layer of gravel and 3-ish inches of concrete. I got the bright (or maybe not so bright!) idea of pulling the truck onto the patio to work on it, but my biggest concern with doing that is whether or not I'd be risking cracking the concrete. Aren't most driveways 6 inches thick? Maybe for an occasional use 3 inches is OK? I'm not sure on that. Any expert advice? Maybe it is just a crazy loony idea :crazy: I rent the place so I don't want to crack the concrete (it was put in only a year ago). I'd be putting down a thick layer of cardboard to keep it clean of any oil drips.

Usually I end up going somewhere else to work on the underside of the vehicle, such as to my parents' on the weekend. However, my schedule is full every weekend for the next several weeks so it would be much better to get my oil change done today or tomorrow. Worst case scenario is I have to make time Saturday morning, but it would be a little easier to be able to do it sooner.

I used to pull my astro van onto a similar thin slab (which did not even have the gravel under) and never had a problem. jacked up, jack stands. when I pulled the slab up, I used a bobcat to lift and drop the slab, which broke right up. but never had concern with working on my truck.

I would not drive a full concrete mixer on it, but just to jack up or ramp your TB should not be an issue.

more likely to spill oil or have it blow past the cardboard and have to clean it up than crack the slab.

if you are worried, just work on the gravel.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The concrete we just poured is mostly 4 inches thick. The concrete guy said after 7 days we could drive our one ton truck and fully loaded 7x12 dump trailer over it without issue.

Driveways are about 4 inches I believe.

The gravel really doesnt make a difference underneath. It is just to level the surface so they can use less concrete.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
The concrete we just poured is mostly 4 inches thick. The concrete guy said after 7 days we could drive our one ton truck and fully loaded 7x12 dump trailer over it without issue.

Driveways are about 4 inches I believe.

The gravel really doesnt make a difference underneath. It is just to level the surface so they can use less concrete.

The gravel does not change load capacity much, but it does provide a spacer to reduce concern with frost heave. fine soils (clay) let water vapor migrate to the bottom of the slab, where it can expand as it freezes, lifting which can make the concrete crack.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
OK, cool. I just wanted to check with others before I said "it should be fine!" and find out the hard way it was a really stupid idea! I'll just have to "rock climb" since it is a raised pad :rotfl: (they didn't dig out the dirt but just used the gravel to level the surface, seems a little odd to me)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online