Miatas

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Any one have experience with Miata's, I am looking to get something thats fun to drive yet still gets good gas mileage, I would like to keep it under 5000.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:
I've never even ridden in one, but would like to have one(especially with a LS swap). Here's a link you'll like.

Flyin' Miata 1 800 FLY MX5s

If I were to get one and get a swap, it would be a 5.0 or a 22b, but thats just if I am dreaming.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:
Any one have experience with Miata's, I am looking to get something thats fun to drive yet still gets good gas mileage, I would like to keep it under 5000.

I drove one that was set up (mildly) for autocross. It was fun, though coming out of my car to the miata, it was very underpowered. The suspension had been built for the autocross, which made it VERY tossable. Talking with the guy that owned it, he said dollar for dollar it was hard to beat. He said the costs to build it for racing was low compared to many other cars he considered. He said he was able to do 90% of the work his self in his garage. This guys daily driver was a 2008 911 turbo. If I was picking a car to build for autocross, the Miata would be very near the top of the list.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Me007gold said:
If I were to get one and get a swap, it would be a 5.0 or a 22b, but thats just if I am dreaming.

5.0 over a LS3 or LS7 WTF????

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Me007gold said:
Coyote Power, plus putting a chevy product in a ford/mazda product seems wrong to me

Ford Racing Coyote 5.0 4V 412HP Mustang Crate Engine M-6007-M50 - Free Shipping!

OK that's the new modular engine and wider than the old 5.0 or even BBF, good luck getting it to fit.

the roadie said:
I was a passenger in one for about ten miles. I think they're a close cousin to the Jeep Liberty in terms of owner profiles. :wink:

Only the owners of stock Miatas!!! And if that what you think of Miata owners, what were you doing with him??? :poke:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Short Bus said:
... if that what you think of Miata owners, what were you doing with him??? :poke:
I have MANY, MANY gay friends and even relatives, especially in the theater community I do some volunteer technical work with. Just because I make fun of their vehicles doesn't mean I denigrate THEM. :wink:

Heck, even Tom and Ray the Cartalk guys, did a survey of gay vehicles:
The Ultimate Gay and Lesbian Cars of All Time | Car Talk

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Im 6'1" 300 pounds i sat down in a Miata at the dealer and almost didnt get out. Looks like a nice car for autocross or a litle fun.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
I have MANY, MANY gay friends and even relatives, especially in the theater community I do some volunteer technical work with. Just because I make fun of their vehicles doesn't mean I denigrate THEM. :wink:

Heck, even Tom and Ray the Cartalk guys, did a survey of gay vehicles:
The Ultimate Gay and Lesbian Cars of All Time | Car Talk

I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone, just poking a little fun at you. The gay car lists are funny. The Jeep Wrangler made both list, but the Liberty was MIA???

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Miatas can be a fun little car to build on the cheap. Kind of the karmann ghia of today and you can actually do more.

jkdubz

Dec 27, 2011
I have been thinking of one of those as well for a fun car. I can drive it to the boat from FL to LA because of the awesome gas mileage it will get.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I don't have any experience with them, but I'm a part of a Mazda scene now as well (my DD is a Protege5), and they really seem like the best bang for your buck for autoX/track days. Even if you're just going to drive it around town, should still be a fun car.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
JosueLT said:
I don't have any experience with them, but I'm a part of a Mazda scene now as well (my DD is a Protege5), and they really seem like the best bang for your buck for autoX/track days. Even if you're just going to drive it around town, should still be a fun car.

Ive always like Protege5's they are nice, for a station wagon. Back in the day, I had a buddy that had a pretty decently modified p5. What kinda mileage do you get in that thing?

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Me007gold said:
Ive always like Protege5's they are nice, for a station wagon. Back in the day, I had a buddy that had a pretty decently modified p5. What kinda mileage do you get in that thing?

Summer city was around 28 average, now with all the idling it does to warm up, it's around 20-22. My best highway was 37, haven't figured it out yet here in the winter. We keep taking the Trailblazer on our highway trips, the wife says it's more comfy, and it has heated seats. lol I just installed heated seats in my car though (I have leather as well) and took some exhaust pieces off to quite it down (it was SUPER loud, and we have a baby on the way now too) so I'll have to see what it gets now.

Pretty decent car though! Fun to drive, beast on the track, and still functional to haul most stuff. I was looking for a wagon to toss my 2 Boxers in, as well as something we could grow into once we started our family. I had my eye on these for a while 'cause of how sporty they look, but they're still pretty expensive. I thought I wouldn't be able to afford one, but I found a deal on my Mazda forum I picked up on. Rust free TN car (I have the cleanest P5 in our crew lol), turbo'ed with tons of mods, for $3500. It was blown up, and I wasn't interested in a turbo'ed car, so all the money I made selling parts, paid for everything else to get the car on the road. I've got around $4000 in a car I could sell for $8000 as is. :biggrin:

104_5560.jpg

104_5561.jpg

After...

2011-05-01131025.jpg

DSC_0136-1.jpg

DSC_0139-1.jpg

jkdubz

Dec 27, 2011
Look at Honda Preludes as well. They are a car I am considering as well.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
:offtopic:
I've seen these on a couple of ricers. Are unibodies so flimsy that the steering geometry changes that much to need reinforcement? Doesn't the hood get bent and buckled from not fitting in its opening if that's the case - without the bar?

View attachment 17975

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 66

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think in most cases it has zero function. Just "looks" cool... and gets in the way when working on stuff.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
I was watching a show where a closeted gay character finally came out and shouted "I'm getting a Miata!"

I agree with the previous post: Prelude > Miata by about a thousand percent.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
I've seen these on a couple of ricers. Are unibodies so flimsy that the steering geometry changes that much to need reinforcement? Doesn't the hood get bent and buckled from not fitting in its opening if that's the case - without the bar?

View attachment 2882

My CTS V has a shock tower brace too. :cool:

2011-07-10_17-36-20_454.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
jkdubz said:
Look at Honda Preludes as well. They are a car I am considering as well.

Lima Tango said:
I was watching a show where a closeted gay character finally came out and shouted "I'm getting a Miata!"

I agree with the previous post: Prelude > Miata by about a thousand percent.

:no: A Prelude is to heavy, maybe pull the H22 out of a Prelude to swap into a Civic, CRX, or Del Sol

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:

It's not that they're necessarily "flimsy", and I really doubt strut bars are THAT much of a help, but for serious racers, every little bit helps to give you an edge over the next driver.

This one came with my car, but the Protege5's have a factory one as well. I'll be selling this one to put my factory bar back on. It's just something I don't need, when I can use the money towards my baby.

Also....

Badbart said:
My CTS V has a shock tower brace too. :cool:

^This. I can't list them off the top of my head, but I've seen quite a few Domestic's with them.

Short Bus said:
:no: A Prelude is too heavy, maybe pull the H22 out of a Prelude to swap into a Civic, CRX, or Del Sol

^This as well!

That's like comparing Apples to Oranges, just too different. Hell, I was passing Preludes in my wagon at the last track day I was at! And the one asshole who wouldn't get out of my way cause he was too proud to let a wagon pass him, wound up spinning out in the grass. :yes:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Just to keep the thread somewhat on track...here are a few pics of some Miata's in our crew. :thumbsup:

5984780551_a38b7d0b78_b.jpg

5841786529_248c3639c8_b.jpg

Mid-Ohio, May 2009:
4753050155_6d90fc800e_b.jpg

VIR, November 2010:
6360110243_b49e040513_b.jpg

Watkins Glen, August 2011:
6036100012_4479030d9b_b.jpg

This one's a Mazdaspeed Miata, so it came turbo'ed. He's also got some Big Enchilada Flying Miata kit on it. 220-something HP at the wheels on a car this small....YES PLEASE!! (I fixed it at my shop after a fender bender)

2011-11-11111012.jpg

2011-11-15095316.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The Miatas are a poor man's Boxster. They handle like a go-kart and with a couple of tweaks, go like shit off a shovel. If you double your budget you could get a 2000-2002 Boxster, but the Miata is just as fun and less expensive to keep on the road.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Just for shits and giggles. I would probley end up doing something like this. Of course all that body work would cost as much as the car will, but thats not the point.

fasback.jpg

sema_08_1333.jpg

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
JosueLT said:
^This. I can't list them off the top of my head, but I've seen quite a few Domestic's with them.

The regular, non 5.7 CTS doesn't have these. Some of the later SHO Ford Taurus's came with them also. The purpose is to eliminate body flex and maintain frontend geometry under extreme handling conditions. Ford even has a TSB on installing them on the earlier SHO's to correct the frontend geometry on those that have had alignment issues due to stress under extreme handling.

So, yes, they are all a bit flimsy it would seem....

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
If you are planning on racing a Miata, keep in mind that you will have to put in roll bar to make them legal. Obviously I can't speak for every autocross club or track, but most have very specific rules for convertibles. :cool:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ls7 miata go with real displacement you can make it happen lol

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Me007gold said:
Just for shits and giggles. I would probley end up doing something like this. Of course all that body work would cost as much as the car will, but thats not the point.

Those are awesome!

Badbart said:
The regular, non 5.7 CTS doesn't have these. Some of the later SHO Ford Taurus's came with them also. The purpose is to eliminate body flex and maintain frontend geometry under extreme handling conditions. Ford even has a TSB on installing them on the earlier SHO's to correct the frontend geometry on those that have had alignment issues due to stress under extreme handling.

So, yes, they are all a bit flimsy it would seem....

Key words right there. I'd like to think that no automaker makes a car that would flex so much under normal driving conditions that it would require bracing. Ricers just take it too far in thinking they've got a racecar, when 98% never see those extreme handling conditions. lol

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
this was our scca miata, daily driver. sold it this year and he bought a 2011 Subaru STi stage 2 cobb tuned.
this miata was tons of fun. ran a 1/4 mile in 11's/ 12's @ 120+

turbo spool and bov sounded great :thumbsup:

Attachments

• miata 1.jpg
    miata 1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 35
  • miata 2.jpg
    miata 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • miata3.jpg
    miata3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 35

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I'm kind of doing a double take here. We are talking about the tiny, deathtrap, convertable's right? I've always heard good reviews in the bang for the buck category but I can't imagine getting hit by an suv in one. I laugh a little when I see a Miata and a BMW Z for that fact. Of course they are as impractical as can be living in MN and so see very few of them. I don't judge whether you are in a Subaru, Miata, Clubman, Smartcar, Prius or any of the other closet cars.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
On a $5000 budget idk what they go for but Fbody camaros 5k everyday in st.louis. You can definitely make those cars beyond fun

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
On a $5000 budget idk what they go for but Fbody camaros 5k everyday in st.louis. You can definitely make those cars beyond fun

Fbodys are fun and reasonably inexpensive, but for a different type of fun.

Unless you're willing to shell out $$$$$$$$$$$$ for coilovers, a watts link and some other goodies, they aren't really SCCA contenders. Too much weight shifting from side to side.

If I was going to SCCA a GM product I'd buy another Fiero. It's getting hard to find one that's not beat nowadays though.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

I know I could get F-bodys, Mustangs, and such, but the whole point is to get something tha'ts going to get decent gas mileage, yet still be fun to drive and cheap to insure. I cant see an F-body or Mustang getting any better mileage then the Trailblazer.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Me007gold said:
I know I could get F-bodys, Mustangs, and such, but the whole point is to get something tha'ts going to get decent gas mileage, yet still be fun to drive and cheap to insure. I cant see an F-body or Mustang getting any better mileage then the Trailblazer.

The heads/cam/exhaust/etc LT1 Camaro I just traded got 25mpg on the highway. 2 overdrive gears help a lot.

Still not small car gas mileage though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:

My v6 Camaro got 32 highway. The LS1 will still get mid-high 20s... well, that is if you don't mod it too much and keep your foot out of it :tongue:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online