Maine Earthquake

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I hope our Mainers are okay after tonights 4.6 Magnitude Earthquake! I know it shook the crap out of my mother in laws house and scared them pretty badly. Just wanted to make sure our members from Maine are doing okay as well!

Just crazy!!

4.0 magnitude earthquake hits southern Maine | wcsh6.com

Mat called me from work to tell me because his mom called him to let him know.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
my wife mom and step dads house shock a little also nothing severe they live in Massachusetts

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
It shook the house pretty good here. I didn't know if it was a train or a big truck going by at first but when it lasted more than a second or two I knew it was something else. Facebook lit up with people reporting it also from all over Maine.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
advise them to check all the masonary very closely. from the VA earthquake we had some mortar damage, and a few cracked facebrick, and across the street they had some pretty severe basement wall cracks which required costly repair.

and don't bother to look for homeowners insurance to cover unless you have a specific earthquake rider, which is unlikely in Maine.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I was standing in a local sandwich shop on a busy thoroughfare and I thought perhaps a truck or something BIG had struck the building? If you have ever been home when they do construction blasting...it felt/sounded like that only longer (10 sec?).

The lady in the shop screamed and freaked out. Many of us went to the doors/windows to see what was up outside? Happily it seems no major damage or injury.

There were some funny instagrams about it. Some had photos of lawn chairs knocked over declaring to rebuild after the earthquake damage! Some may know in the southern part of Maine there is a huge Zumba scandal underway....lots of funny comments about too much Zumba and such. All in all....something to talk about and have fun with. Carry on.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
There were no reports of damage or injuries which is a plus. Glad everyone here made it through. Although 4.6 is considered a "weak" Earthquake, it doesn't take much unfortunately.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Feb 24, 2012
29823_10151089634205222_1056595661_n.jpg

I was highly amused at how quickly the hilarious "I survived..." pictures popped up.

a heavy rumble at our house 12 miles north of Boston. I was in the car so missed the whole thing.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty funny stuff if you ask me. Not sure why people are so interested in it? If you think about this (I am not defending it)...doesn't it happen everyday all over the world? It must be the Zumba element? :undecided:

I am not sure what form of dance Zumba is?....but it appears to be very popular. I remember the good ole days when Maine was known for world class Lobster and skiing?

Keep following the story...they say more names are coming out next Friday and some "prominent" locals will be on it. YAWN! It seems a little bizarre to me just how interested some are. So far the biggest fish they have caught is the former Mayor of South Portland? WHO was my reaction? Small time stuff...hard to believe it has caught national attention.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think it must be the Lutheran influence. Catch your neighbor doing something ...... untoward ..... and then you get to smirk knowingly at the next penny social. Big-town sins are unusual.

Everybody knows you have to go over the border into Portsmouth to retain anonymity for frolics. :lipsrsealed:

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
The Puritan ethic is alive and well. Except of course when they catch the preachers doing Zumba too! :wink:

While the story has been great for some laughs...I do feel bad for the damage inflicted upon the families of those identified. Hopefully it all blows over soon:biggrin:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Voymom said:
There were no reports of damage or injuries which is a plus. Glad everyone here made it through. Although 4.6 is considered a "weak" Earthquake, it doesn't take much unfortunately.

reports of damage means falling bricks. plenty of room for cracked masonry which can cause trouble, either from leaking chimney gasses, or from water leaks which will get worse when water freezes.

I would still advise a close inspection, none of my drywall cracked, but exterior brickwork had some issues.

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
Wonder if something is up. We had a 4.5 magnitude earthquake about a week ago (October 10) here in Montreal (epicentre was ±20 miles northeast).
Happened at around 12:20am - only lasted about 10 seconds, but that was enough. No damages or injuries here either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online