LS Valve cover barb size???

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
I'm wanting to get a quick dis-connect for my oil catch can line to connect to me driver's side valve cover (2009 Chevy 5.3L LS engine)

But, I'm not exactly sure what quick dis-connect connector to buy or where to buy it.

The first step should be knowing what size the barb is located on the rear of the valve cover

If anybody know what size this barb is, and what quick dis-connect connector to buy, please let me know.

It looks kinda like 3/8 to me but it may be metric sizing.

See attached pic:

Attachments

• Pic1__JPEG.jpg
    Pic1__JPEG.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It should be 3/8 ID; I have bulk hose from Derale in that size, and used that on that fitting as a quick fix, along with worm gear clamps. My old D/S valve cover was a 'first gen', so it actually had the PCV valve there. When I put newer covers on my Sierra, I had that orifice instead of the PCV.

As far as quick disconnect -- check out the existing connectors on the fuel lines (nearby) for an idea. Those are plastic lines, and you should be able to rig up something pretty easily.

See if you can find something from a JY if you decide to incorporate the fuel lines themselves -- they're a bit pricey to buy the entire molded pieces just to hack them up for your project. You might need to wrap the part that inserts in the hose in a bit of tape, etc., to better ensure a tight seal. Epoxy could be an option, as well, but I'd still use a clamp of some sort.

AN fittings would look nice there, but AFAIK, there's no QD option for those (kind of defeats the purpose, IMO)

I have a catch can that actually has a little dipstick, so I can check the level without having to take everything apart. The top unscrews from it, as well. Here's the link. They don't fill up that quickly.

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
Thanks. Checking other connectors on my truck is a great idea to see if any of them may fit.

The reason I'd like the quick disconnect is just in case I go for a state inspection and the guy is actually paying attention and decides oil catch cans are a federal crime and he refuses to inspect my truck.

The quick disconnect would saver a little time taking it all off and putting it back on later.

Where I live there are no emission tests, but they are supposed to visually inspect to make sure all factory emission control equipment is there and has not been tampered with.

I've not heard yet if having a catch can violates EPA standards... some are saying yes, some are saying now.

I would think it would be OK, but you know how Uncle Sam can be :rolleyes:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The stock arrangement has one hose that connects the valve cover and top of intake.

The catch can introduces a second hose (valve cover to catch can input; catch can output to intake).

Unless they're pulling you over for spot inspections, you'll know when you have to go in.
Simply disco the extra hose and reconnect VC <> Intake directly. Done.

You could even leave the can attached to the firewall or wherever you install it -- if it's not connected to anything, they can't flag you for it. Or, just remove it / reinstall after the inspection.

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
I read an article earlier that oil catch cans are actually legal in California... so they should not be dis-allowed elsewhere I wouldn't think

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For the sake of 'The Precision' You require ...and for the sake of 'The Peace of Mind' that comes from knowing that now... You have 'The Correct Measurements':

LSVALVECOVER1.jpgLSVALVECOVER2.jpgLSVALVECOVER3.jpgLSVALVECOVER4.jpgLSVALVECOVER5.jpgLSVALVECOVER6.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Redbeard

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... Well... If you re-visit the images I provided... You'll note the conspicuous appearance in one that displays the GM Part Number stamped within the Cover.

The reason I provided you with THAT information is because those images describe the UPDATED Valve Cover meant to deal with the problem of Excessive Oil Consumption.

Do a little reading on this topic at the links below and you may decide to change over to the New Valve Cover instead of trying to adapt "Lil' Nubby" to suit your present needs:

I'd also like to suggest that you invest in getting a Decent Vernier Micrometer to perform these measurements yourself and thus in future, obviate the need for either being lectured about it or be held hostage to the arcane knowledge coming from the likes of me. :>)

"God Helps Those... Who Help Themselves..." Algernon Sidney

Last edited:

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
The reason I provided you with THAT information is because those images describe the UPDATED Valve Cover meant to deal with the problem of Excessive Oil Consumption

I appreciate that and I'm aware that some LS engines have this problem.

Mine is not one of them... I have zero oil consumption issues (2009 LH8 Engine)

I'm not one to fix what is not broken.

Worst case scenario I can always use a 3/8 fuel line and a worm clamp.

I was just looking around to see what was available in the Quick Dis-Connect Community 😎

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There IS one other possibility worth checking out involving the Unique, Small Vacuum Hose that attaches to the Brass Pipe on the front of the Trailblazer-Envoy Throttle Body.

THAT Fitting has a "Side Locking Tab" that simply gets lifted upwards and to the side to release the Line from being held by that small ridge. I cannot say whether its dimensions would match the 'Lil' Nubby' One on your LS Engine Valve Cover... but it would NOT surprise me if it does:

GMT360TB1.jpg
If you can get a handle on what that Line- Hose-Tubing with its Connector Attached is... then IT would probably work just fine.

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
Yep, that looks very much like the barb on my valve cover as it's a little deeper than other bards.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find some quick disconnects for Trailblazer-Envoy Throttle Body on Rock Auto where I can see the actual throttle body itself

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online