Lower ball joints...better to have someone do it?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok, so been doing a bit of repair/maintenance to the truck over the last few weekends. This past weekend I put on new outer tie rods, and got new tires as well. Got the tires from discount so I took it in to a local firestone place to get an alignment. I took it to this place because last august I was there to get an alignment and the mechanic told me not to bother until I replaced the tires, which I knew would need replacing after the winter anyways. Said he could do it, but would just be pissing the money away since I'd be doing it again later on. Ok, fast forward to today and his says I need new lower ball joints. Been trying to avoid putting too many miles on the truck prior to the alignment, even though I'm pretty sure I did a decent job with out tie rod ends.

So the guy from firestone quoted me something like $625 to do the ball joints and alignment.

Ok, so I told him I guess I needed to do the ball joints myself lol to try to save some money. Fair enough. Then I start searching around, and not as much info out there on doing this, or even the control arms as a whole. Even the info I find, it doesn't look like a job I want to do on jackstands in the garage.

So I call belle tire. They quote me $483. Sounds more reasonable to me. If I get it done this weekend I probably will have only driven about 500 miles on the new tires prior to the alignment, not ideal, but I really have no other choice.

Is this a reasonable price? Or can I do it myself for a decent amount cheaper? Or am I probably biting off more than I can chew if I try? So far I've been able to do quite a bit on my own, and everything has went fairly smoothly. The hardest things have been the front axles and drivers side diff seal, but as near as I can tell those had all been done in the past so I think thats why everything came apart so easily. I just have a bad feeling I'm going to spend $150 in parts only to take it in and have it done..and they likely won't use my parts.

Comments? Suggestions?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
untitled.JPG

Don't know how well you can see this pic but it looks to me like you gotta use a fancy bj adapter to make the lock tabs bite down properly on the LCA. Labor for both sides clocks in at a touch over 5 hours so if $483 includes alignment that sounds about right.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They're probably pressed in ball joints. A bear to do but can be done with rental equipment probably. However, if I'm looking at the pictures properly it looks like just swapping out the control arms would be a fair bit easier and not cost much more than just the ball joints themselves.

Check out Moog CK620956 and CK620955.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
I guess I will find out soon enough. I have to get this done one way or another, right now, the less expensive the better. I mean if its the difference of doing it myself for $250 vs them for $500 (with the alignment), I'll just have them do it, as I'm probably only saving $175 and entire day of busting hands and yelling at the truck. lol. And I still have to get the alignment the next week. I wasted 1/2 a vaca day today, just to find out he couldn't do it. Pisses me off.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Sparky said:
However, if I'm looking at the pictures properly it looks like just swapping out the control arms would be a fair bit easier and not cost much more than just the ball joints themselves.

Check out Moog CK620956 and CK620955.
I was thinking about this when tcp first made his post, but I wasn't 100% certain. I will remember now for at least a day or two.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just going to have the shop do this one.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just swap the whole LCA(they come with new ball joints) and you will get new bushings that are prolly on their way out anyway. Job is pretty easy and you save money while getting more new parts.

Reactions: Sparky

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just swap the whole LCA(they come with new ball joints) and you will get new bushings that are prolly on their way out anyway. Job is pretty easy and you save money while getting more new parts.
I'm guessing they are going to try to upsell me on this. If its not a crazy amount more I will probably do it.

Just running out of time and availability of help. I need to get the alignment done before I screw up the $750 worth of tires I just had put on it..and I drive way too much to wait. Have a trip upcoming in 2 weeks (actually trip was rescheduled from this weekend) and I need to get everything right prior to.

Had I realized I needed this when I did the front axles, I probably would have attempted it then. I had half the crap off the front end at that point.

I'll look it over again this afternoon. Even if easier, I just don't know that I can fit it in (timewise).

Reactions: Robbabob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online