Lower ball joint replacement (flaring)

Mistral150

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi all !
I finally got my lower ball joint (Nascar advantage from the makers of MOOG)
and Canadian tire has this tool to make the job IMG_3378.JPG I just need to know if this tool is ok because the ball joint does not have "circlip" to lock it in place. My ball joint have to be flared. does this tool can flare the Ball Joint.

PS the ball joint looks like the AC/Delco with no clip.

Thank you.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You mean you got OEM balljoints that require to be flared the same as the original? Most replacements use a circlip. I don't know what the tool is since the link you provided didn't work. If I were you, I'd return those balljoints and get the usual ones with the clips. AFAIK, the AC Delco's are the only ones like that.

Mistral150

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I replaced my ball joints by the one with the clip (MOOG) , now I'm about to do the job but I'm not sure if I can only remove the nut that retains the ball joint and pry it out or knock it out without removing the shaft. (I saw a picture with the shaft on) any clue on steps to get to it before I go for it.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

PS: The link to the image is now ok !

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mistral150

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thank you very much :wootwoot: I'll have an eye on this !!!

...And if I have a bit of time left when I do the second wheel... I'll try to make a "HOW TO" with image after trying the first wheel.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be awesome to build up our knowledge base here.

Mistral150

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Lower ball joint done !!!!

They are a pain in the :hissyfit: to do. The first one was hard to press out but the second one was easier.

Had to remove the knuckle without taking CV shaft out completely (Loosen the spindle nut but kept it on the end of the thread) PS: This nut is 35mm and watch for the ABS wire when disconnecting knuckle and tie rod was still attached.

Remove the nut from lower part of the strut assembly on the lower control arm and pull the strut out so I can have some play in the arm.

Removed the flange on top of the ball joint with a cold chisel.

Pressed out the joint... Let me give you the trick I used. When I turned the nut of the press, at the moment I could not turn anymore, I would hit the top of the pressing nut with a hammer so the joint would move out a bit then turn and hit, turn and hit till it was pressing out with no resistance.

Re install with same technic used for removal, put the clip and put everything back together. (Double check every nut to make sure they were all tighten so I don't forget one :eek:)

I did not make a HOW TO as is took me to much time to do it. :hissyfit:

Hope it helps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats! At least I can see that I wasn't the only one that had problems pressing them out. Mine were worse. I did the same as you, turn and hammer, turn and hammer. It just wouldn't budge anymore. Wound up grinding down the flared part and going at it again without success. Ended up just whacking the crap out of them with a ball peen hammer. I guess it's the winter and salt here that does that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online