looks like i have a transmission oil leak

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
walked out this morning and found a puddle of red oil under the car. it is on the passenger side and appears to be dripping off of the catalytic converter. any ideas on what and where is should specifically look at?

thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Are you sure that's transmission fluid, and not coolant dripping from the firewall connection to the heater core inside the dash? :undecided:

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
yeah its definitely oil and not coolant. been doing some research and it sounds like its the cooler lines.

Reactions: TJBaker57

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
walked out this morning and found a puddle of red oil under the car. it is on the passenger side and appears to be dripping off of the catalytic converter. any ideas on what and where is should specifically look at?

thanks
Transmission cooler lines. Just had mine done a little while ago . If you have someone do it you are looking at $300-400 . Its inevitable if you live in the rust belt where they salt heavily .

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
You are going to want to lower the transmission to remove the clips that hold the lines in the transmission. @coolasice was able to get his clips out using that method as well as putting the vehicle on 4 ramps/jacks to have a little more clearance to be able to lower the transmission.

It's a VERY tight space between the top of the transmission and the body of the vehicle. Unless you have smaller hands, you're probably going to have to lower the transmission.

I ended up just cutting my lines near the engine oil pan and using a compression fitting. I don't suggest doing what I did at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online