Looking to buy a TBSS

matts04tbls

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Ok, think my next vehicle will be a tbss, and was wondering what to look for (common failures) and what packages mean like 3ss... I'm going to be well modding it as a heads up

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
matts04tbls said:
Ok, think my next vehicle will be a tbss, and was wondering what to look for (common failures) and what packages mean like 3ss... I'm going to be well modding it as a heads up

You don't happen to work for ECS Tuning in Wadsworth Ohio?

Are these really your vehicles?

matts04tbls

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
CaptainXL said:
You don't happen to work for ECS Tuning in Wadsworth Ohio?

Are these really your vehicles?

Pm sent and my vehicles are a 04tb ls along with some euros no ss right now but pursuing lol

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Ah. Ok. Just wondered f your inquiries were related to business. but i see they are your vehicle. If this was the case I think we have a nice vendor place for posting performance questions and adverts.

matts04tbls

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
It's all good and things like that are handled by our marketing team directly and as we clarified the company i work for is in no way interested in or affiliated with American vehicles. I'm just a trailblazer enthusiast :smile:
I'll be posting pics of my ride for you all

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
hands down number one issue is the tranny... whether your modded or not, its not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" the tranny will go... a select few on the forums get away with zero issues on a stock tranny, but the majority will tell you that the tranny sucks lol... you can do somethings to prolong the life of them (tranny cooler, vette servos, shift kits, etc...) but if you're going to be modding (and you stated you are), better save up for a tranny...

2WD are less prone to drivetrain failures (AWD tend to snap the front shafts), and as stated earlier, GM's stupid design of the LS2 and the oil pickup tube and oil sloshing, spinning a bearing.. mainly the #6 rod (ask me how i know lol.. im on my 3rd motor).. there is a "bandaid" fix to where most just add an extra half a quart of oil... but it doesnt solve the issue... usually people upgrade to a C6 oil pan, or PCMforLESS sells a relocation kit, or you can just get a differnt pan all together...

then its just like any other TB, Envoy, Rainier, Bravada, and Saab with the usual maintenance and fluid changes at certain mileage intervals... i service my tranny every 30k miles, and i'll be changing my diff fluid at 50k miles when i get there... i've already flushed the coolant system, brake fluid and power steering fluid (only because the pump went out so the dealer flushed the system).. some say its overkill, but its my truck and for how inexpensive the fluid is, its a comferting piece of mind for me...

1SS is your basic package.. cloth seats, manual HVAC controls, no mirror turn signals, no steering wheel controls, possibility of a sunroof, no heated seats, no memory seats, no pedal adjustments...

3SS is all the bells and whistles... leather seats with suede inserts, steering wheel controls, DIC, Digital HVAC controls, heated and mirror turn signal lenses, heated seats, memory seats, pedal adjustments, some have the rear entertainment system from panasonic, sunroof, homelink for your garage door opener, etc...

the '06's were either called LS (1SS), or LT (3SS), then '07-'09 were known as the 1SS and 3SS...

matts04tbls

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Excellent info right there! So I'm assuming you guys just build a spare Trans and slap it in when the OEM one grenades?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
matts04tbls said:
Excellent info right there! So I'm assuming you guys just build a spare Trans and slap it in when the OEM one grenades?

yea kinda... depending on your power level... a lot of the SS folks are doing the swap to the 4L80e's.. but they're putting down well over 5-600 HP to the wheels... but there are vendor's that we get the built trans from... either RPM, or FLT.. or your own local tranny shop...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
+1 on what juan said. :wink:
U can get other valances for ur SS. As in like a dual exhaust valence....blank valence for turn down option. Sweet cai's. Vinyl inlays (appearance mods) factory rep. 22" factory wheels ...list goes on and on and ............
If u want a modded SS for relatively cheap tbSSowners.com would be the way to go. SS's are for sale on there ALL the time.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
get a white one, everyone knows they are the fastest

matts04tbls said:

or save your money, get a high mileage tbss, pull the trans and rebuild it with a higher stall converter from the word go

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:

That's false advertising right there. Black ones u gain a least 50 horse outta the box.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:

or save your money, get a high mileage tbss, pull the trans and rebuild it with a higher stall converter from the word go

:iagree:
White = best color. I like the 06 blue though...

If you can, there are a few TBSSs going for less than 9k with a blown engine and higher miles. Prime candidates for a built motor and trans swap. :cool:

And OP, funny you work for ECS Tuning, Ive got a few parts for my brother's 08 MKV Jetta from you guys.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
jimmyjam said:

ok, i'll give you that.. but only because i took a ride in yours :raspberry:

but for some reason, i'm partial to imperial blue metallic :undecided::crackup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1