Looking for opinions on oil and oil filters

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
After servicing a dozen vehicles a day for the last 6 months, I really don't trust the OLM systems in vehicles. By the time most of the computers across different manufacturers say to change the oil, the oil is black and looks overdue for a change to me. Not only that but most people don't check their oil level once between changes and run them quarts low.

Last time I changed the oil in the TB the oil change light had not came on yet and I have no idea how many miles were on the oil but I know for sure I'm likely never going by the OLM on the TB again. Shit was nasty that came out. My DD I don't really care about and I'm 4.5k deep in its current oil but I treat the TB better.

Not telling anyone to not go by the OLM, just saying that after 13 years of depending on it telling us when to change the oil (two different GM's), I no longer trust it. Just my opinion, you make your own after observing the oil a few times when you change it.

I go by the OLM which has resulted in an average of about 10k miles between changes (one was all the way up to 14k miles back when I did a ton of highway driving), 215k miles later tells me I ain't killing it lol.

The "OLM" in my 99 Camaro however seems to just turn the light on at 7k miles regardless. But I don't follow it because the engine is far from stock so I change it every 5k which equates to about once a year (summer only car).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Definitely use the static cling ones. I used one that came with a jug of oil years ago and it was adhesive backed. That left a nice mess.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Anyone use the truck filters? Like the Pf61? Bigger filter, same thread and oring setup, just longer. Thinking about going with the wix version of the Pf61 for my next change.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Pf61 is the oem filter? The E designates ecore iirc.
Anyone use the truck filters? Like the Pf61? Bigger filter, same thread and oring setup, just longer. Thinking about going with the wix version of the Pf61 for my next change.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pf61/Pf61e is the OEM for the truck v8's. I saw talk in another thread where that for the v8 tbs and such that style filter would keep you from using a band wrench because of clearance issues but nothing about them on the 4.2. I feel like there's plenty of room, just looking for someone else that has done it before I hop on it.

Wix 51522.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Pf61/Pf61e is the OEM for the truck v8's. I saw talk in another thread where that for the v8 tbs and such that style filter would keep you from using a band wrench because of clearance issues but nothing about them on the 4.2. I feel like there's plenty of room, just looking for someone else that has done it before I hop on it.

Wix 51522.
I always used a pf61e on mine....

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sounds good then. Pf46 is what they call for by the book, tiny little thing.
I could swear my manual was pf61... I know all the books at the autoparts stores list it for the 4.2.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Any how, picked up a 51522, which it called for by their book, wonder where I originally got the corrupt info. 7.99 at my local orielly's. They also had the xp at the same price, after a quick read online I decided I'd be better off with the regular one.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I run whatever group 3 synthetic is on sale for the cheapest. I usually run Pennzoil Platinum or Motomaster (rebadged Shell). This last go around I found Castrol Edge black bottle on for cheap so the next change will use it. Any name brand oil or one that is licenced is more than adequate for these vehicles. Think of it this way: 6.6L of oil for a 4.2L of displacement.

I use Fram Ultra filters as well. They are built sturdy and use good media to achieve a high filtration rating. The price is not as steep as the other name brand filters.

Last year when I was chasing down a rough idle I tore out the cam solenoid to see if it was damaged. It was damn near as clean as it was from the factory. Goes to show that a good oil and filter with decent intervals can keep an engine clean.

I am at 20,000km this oil change and will probably change it soon. I don't usually short trip so when my vehicle is fired up it gets run on the highway for at least 20 minutes to warm up.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I use Amsoils Signature Series. I was using the XL. OE is the least expensive at little over 4 bucks for synthetic which is cheap. I buy it by the case obviously since I use it on my MR2 stroker engine. I tend to use the Amsoil or Six filters but I have used AC Delcos that I've got from Rockauto when they have them on clearance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
ACDelco are made by Champion Labs. Not as bad as Fram but not that good neither.

Reactions: triz

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
You can get oil change stickers free at O'Reilly. I'm standardizing to full synthetics across the board. Currently the Envoy has 10-30 synthetic blend the shop put in but I'll be going to the standard 5-30 full synthetic O'Reilly brand. So both bf's and my two vehicles will all be using the same oil. Makes life easy! For GMs and anything else I use wix filters for Ford use Motorcraft filters.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is an interesting video that adds to the discussion on the topics of Motor Oil, Gear Oil and Fuel Additives and it comes from a seldom-mentioned Player in the Field of Lubrication and a Maker of some Very Good Slippery Stuff...REDLINE... especially for our Members having 4X4 Vehicles:

"10W-WTF? : More About Motor Oils, Gear Oil and Fuel Additives"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online