Looking for more HP

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hello all,

My TB is completely stock. I looked up the I6 and its around 275 hp. What can I do thats fairly inexpensive and easy that can give me more hp? Iv read a lot about people doing a PCM4less tune, a CIA intake, ect but what would be the best bang for my buck? Also, how many horses would I be getting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, what can I do make my TB sound a little meaner :biggrin: not like crazy load but a nice mean sound. I read about people cutting there resonator off but it sounds like an import to me which I dont like.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The tune, IMHO.

What's your budget? You can also get a fantastic increase in off-the-line accel by regearing to 4.10. That's part of the bag of tricks of the SS configuration.

What's your current gear ratio?

Take out the unused seats and spare tire, too.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
3.73 is my ratio. Budget wise, lets say around $500, but im not opposed to spending more if I get alot for it. What tune do you recommend? There seems to be a lot of different kinds you can do.

TB360

Dec 29, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
3.73 is my ratio. Budget wise, lets say around $500, but im not opposed to spending more if I get alot for it. What tune do you recommend? There seems to be a lot of different kinds you can do.

switching gears would cost more than a grand

for the tune, go for pcmforless.

also e-fan too and CAI for a little roar.

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
I would also recommend a cherry bomb exhaust for the roar you are looking for it's not too loud but sounds nice with our trucks. you can obtain it with other mufflers as well. cheery bomb is what i have.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
TB360 said:
switching gears would cost more than a grand

for the tune, go for pcmforless.

also e-fan too and CAI for a little roar.

I looked it up and its says that I'll get an extra 10-14 hp and with the E-fan I'll gain another 10-14hp so I can get an extra 20 -28hp, nice! For the E-fan do you have to upgrade your alternator or wiring? Iv read somewhere that the fan draws 40 amps compared to the fan clutch that would draw 5 amps. How much hp would I get if I switched gears outta curosity?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A gear swap doesn't add any HP. I just feels like it because it gets the truck up to speed faster.

Also, those HP increases, IIRC, are rear wheel HP. I could be wrong about that.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rudeawakening said:
... with the E-fan I'll gain another 10-14hp ... Iv read somewhere that the fan draws 40 amps compared to the fan clutch that would draw 5 amps. ...
As I always point out when somebody starts investigating efans -

1 HP = 754 Watts. 40 Amps of 12V = 480 Watts.

Power is power. So an efan is using about 1/2 HP of power spinning the blades. Is it reasonable to think that the mechanical fan spinning approximately the same size blade is STEALING much more than 1-2 HP to do its job? I don't see the mechanical fan stealing 10-15 HP. It would sound like a frickin' LAWN MOWER if it was using as much as 5 HP!

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:

Power is power. So an efan is using about 1/2 HP of power spinning the blades. Is it reasonable to think that the mechanical fan spinning approximately the same size blade is STEALING much more than 1-2 HP to do its job? I don't see the mechanical fan stealing 10-15 HP. It would sound like a frickin' LAWN MOWER if it was using as much as 5 HP!

True, that makes sense when you convert power to watts and can see the big difference, 7540 watts does sound like alot for a fan. Reading other forums about it people swear by it tough. I guess ill hold off on an E-fan for now until I see some stone cold facts about how much HP you really get out of an E-fan. If my fan clutch was busted I would do it, but its fine for now.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:

The difference is that the mechanical fan has to be sized to cool an engine while the engine is idling at 600 rpm. That means that it's working ten times as hard as it needs to at redline. Of course, this is mitigated some with controls, but not entirely.

I remember a few years back, I vacationed in Florida. Spent a lot of time going for bike rides. Many times I would turn to see what did in fact sound like a lawn mower, but was only a random SUV trying to accelerate through a light.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
harmless said:
Trade it in for a TBSS. :raspberry:

Sorry guys, I had to be *that guy* today... :biggrin:

:rotfl:If I had $20,000 to drop on a used 50k miles vehicle I would lol but I like my TB. Doing things to it and customzing it makes it feel like it really is mine. The reason im doing this is becuase im selling my Ls1 camaro :sadcry: the miles are getting up there and I would rather sell it while I can get something decent for it, and I love my TB, im becoming a big fan of them. I would like to get over 300hp but I dont know how realistic that is without spending alot of money.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
:rotfl:If I had $20,000 to drop on a used 50k miles vehicle I would lol but I like my TB. Doing things to it and customzing it makes it feel like it really is mine. The reason im doing this is becuase im selling my Ls1 camaro :sadcry: the miles are getting up there and I would rather sell it while I can get something decent for it, and I love my TB, im becoming a big fan of them. I would like to get over 300hp but I dont know how realistic that is without spending alot of money.

Makes sense. There's also the insurance advantage and the gas mileage advantage.

Most people with trucks that say they want more power, actually mean torque. Few people want to wind a TB out to 7500 RPM to get max power, but many like the throw-you-back-in-your-seat feeling from good throttle response. This is why the 4.2 is designed they way that it is. Honestly, I'm not even sure why they went DOHC.

Your tune and efan, will probably get you close to 300 FWHP, but you'll never know unless you pull the engine and put it on a dyno. Might as well just claim it.

Corky Bell says for more power we need a PLAN. (cylinder) Pressure X Length (of stroke) X Area (of piston) X Number (of firings) = Power. Unless you're willing to bore/strke L and A are out. N doesn't make sense for what we just talked about torque vs hp. That leaves P. Or new gears :smile:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
What about a cia as TB360 suggested as well? How much HP do those give? It seems like the end result is the same as the E-fan with some saying it doesnt do anything to some swearing by it. I have also read that cias have cuased engine damage, but im assuming thats due to poor craftmans ship.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
:rotfl: Ha ha. That poor poor cutlass, another great car butched. My first car was a 1985 cutlass supreme, didnt get anywhere fast and was 13 mpg but man it was like driving a cloud, love that car:smile: I saw this CIA, AFE® - Chevy Trailblazer 2003-2005 Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System . Is it better to get your tune before or after you install a CIA and an E-fan? Can they tune it to be more efficent with the upgrades or do it not mater? Also, for the E-fan do you have to do any upgrading to wires or your altenator? Illinios has emissions testing, will this affect my emissions in a bad way or will it make it better becuase its burning more efficently?

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
:rotfl: Ha ha. That poor poor cutlass, another great car butched. My first car was a 1985 cutlass supreme, didnt get anywhere fast and was 13 mpg but man it was like driving a cloud, love that car:smile: I saw this CIA, AFE® - Chevy Trailblazer 2003-2005 Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System . Is it better to get your tune before or after you install a CIA and an E-fan? Can they tune it to be more efficent with the upgrades or do it not mater? Also, for the E-fan do you have to do any upgrading to wires or your altenator? Illinios has emissions testing, will this affect my emissions in a bad way or will it make it better becuase its burning more efficently?

Generally, I say that "Cold Air Intakes" are not worth it. Your stock intake is already a "Cold Air Intake". The aftermarket units don't offer larger diameter tubing, so what's the point? They say that the bends in the stock system cause nonlaminar flow. I find it hard to believe that it will make 0.5 hp difference.
For minor mods such as the CAI, I don't think it matters whether you get tuned before or after. For the E-Fan you NEED a tune to disable the codes that will be set by the absense of the old fan. If you buy a kit, it should come with everything you need wiriing wise. Alternator is fine. Emissions unaffected.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
limequat said:
Generally, I say that "Cold Air Intakes" are not worth it. Your stock intake is already a "Cold Air Intake". The aftermarket units don't offer larger diameter tubing, so what's the point? They say that the bends in the stock system cause nonlaminar flow. I find it hard to believe that it will make 0.5 hp difference.
For minor mods such as the CAI, I don't think it matters whether you get tuned before or after. For the E-Fan you NEED a tune to disable the codes that will be set by the absense of the old fan. If you buy a kit, it should come with everything you need wiriing wise. Alternator is fine. Emissions unaffected.

So it seems that an E-fan and tune are good way to get an hp bump. CIA is pointless, you make a good point, they already have CIA. What else can I do? Performance air filters worth anything? Someone mentioned a cherrybomb exhuast for that mean sound im looking for but does it do anything for hp? I thought it does very little for hp unless you do a true duel exhaust system. Anymore info on performace tips would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
So it seems that an E-fan and tune are good way to get an hp bump. CIA is pointless, you make a good point, they already have CIA. What else can I do? Performance air filters worth anything? Someone mentioned a cherrybomb exhuast for that mean sound im looking for but does it do anything for hp? I thought it does very little for hp unless you do a true duel exhaust system. Anymore info on performace tips would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

From a review when the engine first launched:

"According to the engines designer, Ron Kociba, theres another 30 horsepower to be had just by adding dual exhausts"

We assume that means splitting the manifold in 2 and running 2 pipes all the way back.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
CIA = Central Intelligence Agency

CAI = Cold Air Intake

Just saying. :wink:

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:

CAI = Cold Air Intake

LOL!!! Wooluf, you're KILLING ME bro!!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

CAI = Cold Air Intake

CIA = Blows up American citizens with drones. Sucks taxpayer money.
CAI = Blows up American engines with hydrolock. Sucks air.

I mean, really, about the same thing.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Back on topic. 4.1:1 gears can be done for a whole lot cheaper than $1000. You *could* take your truck to a rear-end shop buy a new ring and pinion and pay them to tear down, install, set lash, and make a boat payment...

Or, go to car-part.com and buy an entire rear axle assembly. You can get them for under $200. Undo shocks, drive shaft, swap, roll.

Admittedly, not so easy for 4x4 folks.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
limequat said:
Back on topic. 4.1:1 gears can be done for a whole lot cheaper than $1000. You *could* take your truck to a rear-end shop buy a new ring and pinion and pay them to tear down, install, set lash, and make a boat payment...

Or, go to car-part.com and buy an entire rear axle assembly. You can get them for under $200. Undo shocks, drive shaft, swap, roll.

Admittedly, not so easy for 4x4 folks.

LOL, yeah yeah wise asses :wink:I live in a condo complex and I dont have a garage so doing something like that right now is out of the question, but thats a great idea though. So far on my list of what I can do that is inexpensive and easy is an E-fan and a tune, what else? What about performance spark plugs?

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
LOL, yeah yeah wise asses :wink:I live in a condo complex and I dont have a garage so doing something like that right now is out of the question, but thats a great idea though. So far on my list of what I can do that is inexpensive and easy is an E-fan and a tune, what else? What about performance spark plugs?

Waste of money. Usually the best performing plugs are the stock ones.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
limequat said:
From a review when the engine first launched:

"According to the engines designer, Ron Kociba, theres another 30 horsepower to be had just by adding dual exhausts"

We assume that means splitting the manifold in 2 and running 2 pipes all the way back.

Basically, they were talking about putting 3+3 headers on it. They did this in the beginning to build a Baja truck using the TB and the I6 engine. After all the race mods, the engine made 610 HP. Pretty stout.

As I remember it, the truck won the first time out.

Attachments

• 0109or_02_z+off_road_truck_news_insider_off_road+chevy_trailblazer_trophy_truck.jpg
    0109or_02_z+off_road_truck_news_insider_off_road+chevy_trailblazer_trophy_truck.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 91

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
MacMan said:
Basically, they were talking about putting 3+3 headers on it. They did this in the beginning to build a Baja truck using the TB and the I6 engine. After all the race mods, the engine made 610 HP. Pretty stout.

As I remember it, the truck won the first time out.

We totally got ripped off! I want 610 ponies dammit!

I think for what you're looking for, you are probably looking at dropping quite a bit of bills into this thing. Honestly....I don't blame you, as I will be looking to increase in the near future as well...It CAN be done, anything can be done BUT it's really how much you want to spend, and how much your looking at changing. I will simply be going for a PCM tune and e-fan kit. Maybe a few flames for that +30 HP :wink:

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
We totally got ripped off! I want 610 ponies dammit!

I think for what you're looking for, you are probably looking at dropping quite a bit of bills into this thing. Honestly....I don't blame you, as I will be looking to increase in the near future as well...It CAN be done, anything can be done BUT it's really how much you want to spend, and how much your looking at changing. I will simply be going for a PCM tune and e-fan kit. Maybe a few flames for that +30 HP :wink:

Yeah thats what im looking to do. I would like to bump my hp close to 300 without spending to much money or going into big projects. I dont have a garage or adequate tools to do to big stuff yet. A CAI (not CIA :wink:) has been discussed and concluded that is doest do much and is not worth it. I also want to add a cherry bomb exuast for a little bit of a meaner muscley sound that gcacase1289 suggested

Thanks guys for all your help! Especially limequat :ok: Let me know theres anything else you guys can think of thats inexpensive and easy, you guys rock! :thumbsup:

My other project will be apperances. Removing the roof rack and door molding, replacing front bumper with an SS bumper, SS rims and painted door handles :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online