Looking for engine rebuilder in Toronto (Mississauga) area

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I've got a low end knocking ... tech thought it could be main bearing(s) or connecting rod(s).

He said the trouble these days is finding an engine rebuilder.
I don't have the luxury of doing the work myself.

So my options are either rebuild or replace ...

2006 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
(currently with DoD but could go without - not sure what that would require if the replacement engine didn't have)

HELP!!!

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I found Crosstown Engine Remanufacturing in Toronto.
The reman is almost $4,000 with re and re of $2,000 + HST making it almost $7,000 total.

My other alternative would be to buy another used 9-7X as there are some good deals on autotrader at the moment ...

Thoughts?

And btw, neither of the above alternatives work with my wallet ... I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do atm.

Purefection

Oct 23, 2014
New engine is much cheaper than 7000....... Drop a new one in. Pretty sure u can find them at summit or jegs for under 3000

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's the labour to remove and install the engine that's a killer, especially with the AWD (been there, done that).

Did you check with the dealer? I think they have an exchange program where they supply a rebuilt engine and you give them your old one. Check also for a long block.

I can't believe that it costs $4000 to just rebuild an engine. Looking at used engines, they're running around $2000 in your neck of the woods. I think it's because of the rarity of that engine with our funky oil pan. What about looking for a "normal" truck 5.3 and swap the oil pan? Maybe those engines are cheaper.

As for DOD, not a bad idea to disable it as they are problematic. Usual way is with a tune.

BTW, how many km on your engine?

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Insured? ...
Maybe that curb you accidentally ran over tomorrow put a whole in the pan and cuased the knock ...?
:biggrin:

I don't know about your end of the horizon, but here in the middle of the Pacific,
you can find a low-mile V8 TB or Envoy for under $5k.

If you spent $5k on a replacement vehicle,
you could then recover some of that by parting out your 9-7x 5.3i
WIth the rarity of those Saab's , I'm sure you could get a pretty penny for that Front Clip and other unique parts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I need a hood and a nice set of headlights :biggrin:

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Are you willing to drive to the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area?
If so, look into Wildgoose aka J&J Performance in Stoney Creek/Hamilton Mountain.

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
So I had it checked and 2 cylinders are knocking ... plus I have metal shavings in the oil.

At this time, I am considering trading this 9-7X in for another (newer and less kms).

BTW, it has 220,000 kms on it right now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Trade in value is probably close to nil with a knocking engine and would likely be scrapped. You could check around to see how much local scrap yards would give you for it. Body parts are valuable on this truck.

smt 59

Try 400 Auto wreckers north of Toronto they have and can get anything you need and install with warranty, I have used them for engine transplants in the past.

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Well, the answer turns out to be ... I pick up my "new" truck in 4 hours, 15 minutes (give or take a few seconds).

It is a 2009 9-7X 5.3i, just under 150,000 kms. It is a US truck.
And it is in unbelievably good condition ... "like new" comes to mind.

This engine sounds so good, I have to wonder if my 06 didn't have a knock from the time I bought it.

Also, the AWD system does not have the issue I was having with my 06 ... no more rear wheel hop, just smooth driving!

Will post pictures when I can.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Saab/9-7X/Brampton/Ontario/5_21253001_ON20070924102414963/?ursrc=ppl&showcpo=ShowCPO

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw that truck posted on Kijiji. Nice!

So what's happening to the old one?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online