Little too loud

marble_voy03

Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
y7y5ypeh.jpg

rahemura.jpg

Took them out to warranty them because they are getting tired. Found this lovely surprise.

TB360

Dec 29, 2011
What is that and where is that located?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Okay let me say this, loudness has no play on cracking the basket. The weight and way the subs are braced does. If you have the subs mounted in loose and can allow the basket and magnet to move around then it will crack. Looks like you have a nice cheap kicker sub looking at the basket. Also manufacturing defect causes this problem of the basket cracking if its not molded right. They are stamped baskets so they are not the best quality compared to a solid cast formed one.

marble_voy03

Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
With a name like kick ass audio you sure do have some lame ass input. A. You know nothing about my install. B. You know nothing about my background. But if you want to judge me that's fine. And if my equipment is so cheap I'm going to guess that my roof starting to separate on my envoy is due to manufacturing too and not my stereo.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:chillpill: bro... this is an online community forum that is subject to constructive criticism and opinions. He was just stating his thoughts, not calling you out or anything. In all my years of audio, I've never seen that happen either. I've seen some MASSIVE builds, but usually voice coils are frying, cones are bursting, or the surround is ripping, but I've never seen the baskets crack like that. you never said, but how did it happen?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
100_2579.JPG

This thread needs more Kicker. And plush pals.

So marble what happened to it?

marble_voy03

Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
No idea how or when. Never heard anything change. I was sending the pair in for warranty because the other one was starting to go. When I took it out of the box I noticed it. The cracks is about 3/8" away from going completely through both spots.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Lmao, I wasn't trash talking your system so get that out of your head right now. I was just stating that it looked like the lower end kicker subs that they produce not that it is shit product. Second stamped baskets do sometimes have issues, its not common but it can happen. Also they can crack from shipping, you may not have noticed anything during the install but when you were setting it up it happened to just get that crack bigger and bigger as you played.

And im not sure if you were referencing the roof separating from another thread I commented in as I had that happen to my truck. 2 of my roof supports came separated from the roof where the expanding foam holds them together and then because of that bond not existing it snapped the bracket where it is welded to the outside edge of the roof. Our supports are known to not be the best, thats why some people like May03 braced theirs with sound deadener to prevent them from flapping around and breaking.

Either way at least you got the system back up. That's all that matters.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhacohen

Members Online