Lionel Trains

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65

Attachments

  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 4

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
Me007gold said:
That looks like a nice set up. How big is it?

The layout was 13' X 8' with two 72" radius outer loops, one 42" inner loop with a passing siding and 2 reversing loops. Could run up to 7 trains at once though I usually ran 4. The passenger sets on the outer loop were really too long to run 2 together and the inner track had the cars for the accessories so that was a lot of stop and go on that one.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
You and my grandfather would get along very well. He has been collecting ever since he was a little boy, he has something like 3000 train sets, different brands mostly Lionel. I always had interest in them but not enough to collect.
 

Ilikemy3s

Member
Dec 3, 2011
370
I love Lionel Trains. I am 46 and still have the set my father bought me when I was born. I still have everything in the original box. Only take them out and put them up at Christmas time.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
blazinlow89 said:
You and my grandfather would get along very well. He has been collecting ever since he was a little boy, he has something like 3000 train sets, different brands mostly Lionel. I always had interest in them but not enough to collect.

I still have my original set from when i was a kid, though I didn't start collecting again till I was in my twenties. I collected until the speculators drove up the prices to obscene levels ( like they did to baseball cards, comic books, etc.) I have k-line and MTH thrown in as well. I concentrated mostly on the New York Central line and didn't care too much who made it as long as it looked good. The Dreyfeus Hudson is MTH pulling K-line heavyweight passenger cars. The Lionel Dreyfeus Hudson was $1800 at the time!!!! crazy
 

mike_k

Member
Dec 5, 2011
242
very nice setup :thumbsup: I still have my first set but it is just on a 4x8 sheet of plywood
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
Ilikemy3s said:
I love Lionel Trains. I am 46 and still have the set my father bought me when I was born. I still have everything in the original box. Only take them out and put them up at Christmas time.

I have the Lionel G scale Thomas the Tank Engine set that I got when my son was born that still goes around the Christmas tree.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
mike_k said:
very nice setup :thumbsup: I still have my first set but it is just on a 4x8 sheet of plywood

My first couple of layouts were 4X8s. O scale takes up a lot of room. I learned from each to make the next one better. Right now this layout is gone and everything is boxed up in the attic. One day I'll do a new layout which hopefully would be bigger and better.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
The craziest thing is that the shop that services my snowmobiles also sells trains. It's the oddest combo.
 

GregT

Member
Jan 12, 2012
58
Nice train set I'm in HO scale my self. I have a 15' x 25' layout. It's mostly plywood now barely any scenery my 2 year old sucks up all my time now. I also in between converting over too DCC. I think I may have forgotten how to use that system by now ha ha.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
Jkust said:
The craziest thing is that the shop that services my snowmobiles also sells trains. It's the oddest combo.

I know what you mean. The vegetable market in my old town used to sell trains. The owner was a collector and would always have a bunch of stuff for sale. Unfortunately, he was a bit, ahhh eccentric, and I could never reach a deal with him.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
GregT said:
Nice train set I'm in HO scale my self. I have a 15' x 25' layout. It's mostly plywood now barely any scenery my 2 year old sucks up all my time now. I also in between converting over too DCC. I think I may have forgotten how to use that system by now ha ha.

That's a good size, especially for HO. Wish I had that much room.I Know what you mean with the 2 year old. In a couple of years you could have help with any still missing scenery.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65

Attachments

  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0014 shrunk.jpg
    IMG_0014 shrunk.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0016 pan shrunk.jpg
    IMG_0016 pan shrunk.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
Very cool! Train sets are just way too much fun, kids love the crizzap out of them. I remember playing with my dad's Lionel set for countless hours growing up, definately a never-ending pastime. Have you ever been to the railroad museum in Lancaster Pa? Definately a step back in time.
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
GregT said:
Nice train set I'm in HO scale my self. I have a 15' x 25' layout. It's mostly plywood now barely any scenery my 2 year old sucks up all my time now. I also in between converting over too DCC. I think I may have forgotten how to use that system by now ha ha.

Why don't you post some pictures of your layout. Actually, everyone with a layout should post some pictures!!
 

RichieT

Original poster
Member
Feb 8, 2012
65
gmcman said:
Very cool! Train sets are just way too much fun, kids love the crizzap out of them. I remember playing with my dad's Lionel set for countless hours growing up, definately a never-ending pastime. Have you ever been to the railroad museum in Lancaster Pa? Definately a step back in time.

I had all the operating accessories across the front of the board with their controllers in front. The log loader, milk car, gantry crane, ice loader, and horse car. All the kids would be lined up in front, each playing with different accessories.

Is that the museum in Strasburg? If so I've been there a couple of times. Did the train ride through the countryside and the Choo Choo barn, too. There's another good museum in Scranton, PA also.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,991
Members
18,534
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls