lighting question

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well...on the envoy I have halo lights (no projectors) where the low beams used to be (at the top) and I moved the stock low beams down to where the high beams were so I didnt burn the halos....and I currently have no high beams installed because they would burn the halos if I put them back up top and that is what my next mod is for...

I want to put a bi-xenon HID bulb in the lower headlight position and leave the top as is with just my halos.
So my question is, if I do the quad beam mod will this enable the low and high beam functions of the single bi-xenon bulb?
:undecided:

THANKS for the help! It is definitely appreciated!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Will you be using a bi-xenon projector? I have a bi-xenon HID kit in my Taurus. There is no second filament in a bi-xenon, instead there is a mechanism of some sort that moves when you flip to high beam. In some cases there is a shield in front of part of the bulb on low beam which flips out of the way for high. In my case there is a big magnet on the back of each bulb, when I flip to high the magnet activates, and the bulb slides back a bit and changes the aim of the beam. I recommend you go with a real bi-xenon projector, as the beam pattern of the half-assed ones like I have pretty much suck. I get so much light scatter on high-beam they are nearly useless.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
SBUBandit said:
Will you be using a bi-xenon projector? I have a bi-xenon HID kit in my Taurus. There is no second filament in a bi-xenon, instead there is a mechanism of some sort that moves when you flip to high beam. In some cases there is a shield in front of part of the bulb on low beam which flips out of the way for high. In my case there is a big magnet on the back of each bulb, when I flip to high the magnet activates, and the bulb slides back a bit and changes the aim of the beam. I recommend you go with a real bi-xenon projector, as the beam pattern of the half-assed ones like I have pretty much suck. I get so much light scatter on high-beam they are nearly useless.

yes it would be a bi-xenon projector. Thanks for the info!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
yes it would be a bi-xenon projector. Thanks for the info!

No problem. Here's a youtube of how alot of the projector ones work, not sure if they are all like this, but basically when you hit the highs, nothing changes with the light, just the shield moves out of the way

[video=youtube;XiTiCmtVAlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTiCmtVAlA[/video]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
If you get projectors you should move the halos onto the projectors since the projectors wont burn them out. You have CCFL right?

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
If you get projectors you should move the halos onto the projectors since the projectors wont burn them out. You have CCFL right?

Yeah i have the ccfl halos. The only reason i wanted just halos up top was because of how they looked compared to on the bottom. But i just was curious if i put in a single bi-xenon projector would the quad light mod activate the high/low beam functions of a single projector light?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Yeah i have the ccfl halos. The only reason i wanted just halos up top was because of how they looked compared to on the bottom. But i just was curious if i put in a single bi-xenon projector would the quad light mod activate the high/low beam functions of a single projector light?

With single bixenons, the quad light mod becomes moot

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
SBUBandit said:
With single bixenons, the quad light mod becomes moot

:undecided: I believe he still needs to do the quad beam mod... Sure when he hits the high beams, the shield in the projector will move out of the way, but with stock functionality, the low beam bulb will shut off (thinking the high beam bulb he doesn't have installed, is on) and he'll only have his halos on :duh:

Or did I misread what the OP is intending to do?

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: I believe he still needs to do the quad beam mod... Sure when he hits the high beams, the shield in the projector will move out of the way, but with stock functionality, the low beam bulb will shut off (thinking the high beam bulb he doesn't have installed, is on) and he'll only have his halos on :duh:

you've got the idea. And I have my halos controlled by an aftermarket switch in the car so they aren't controlled/affected by the factory lighting switches at all.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Blckshdw said:

In general I would agree, however installing a bixenon projector isn't quite plug and play, so there would be some modification going on here anyways, while at it, wouldn't you just connect the light such that the low beam still is the low beam regardless of its physical location in the light, and the high beam would just flip the shield up and down? In effect the truck would be wired as if it only has one factory hi/low light, since it has nothing in one of the locations except the halo which isn't wired to the headlights at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online