LH6 5.3 replace w/ AFM Delete?

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
My 2008 SAAB 9-7 has a broke engine, bad smoke and noise after failing on the road.
I am thinking of replacing engine and getting rid of DOD at the same time.
Can I replace the LH6 with the LMF iron block from an express van?
This seems like the best option I have found.

Does anyone have another idea for an economic way to swap engine and remove the fuel management/displacement on demand at the same time?

Thanks

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
There are AFM delete kits, that contain the valley cover, non AFM lifters, gaskets, and usually a cam. Why not just tear down your current engine, inspect to make sure its just the lifters that are bad and just rebuild it? As long as the engine has a x58 relucator it should be interchangeable aside from flashing the current PCM/TCM for the new engine.

When you say it failed, is Iy just misfiring with a a lot of lifter noise?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not knowing a lot of the specifics of the LMF, the crank trigger probably went to a 58x (or whatever it is) which is likely not compatible with current electronics as well as the cam. You'd be better off, as @Mike534x said, to inspect and delete the DOD from your current engine.

If you do go with an truck iron block 5.3, it will physically swap in as long as you keep the oil pan. Only difference is maybe around 150-200 lbs. You will also need to have DOD tuned out of the PCM.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online