Led Dome Light Problem

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
I got my new Led lights today, 36 smd leds off of ebay, got them installed and the dang things dont turn off! i have my lights off, and car off, doors closed, all that, and they stay on, not at full power, but they stay dimmly lit...
Got any ideas on what that could be?
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Push the lenses to shut off your map lights
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,599
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Is it ALL of the LEDs, or just a few of them, that stay on all the time?
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Blckshdw said:
Is it ALL of the LEDs, or just a few of them, that stay on all the time?

Sometimes I'll notice 1 or 2 of my LED's dimly lit
 

DJones

Member
Jan 21, 2012
701
St. Petersburg, Florida
All of mine stay dimly lit. Very, very, very dim. Not enough to bother me or drain the battery. I think it has something to do with the wiring in the BCM.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,599
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In the ones I made, there are 1 or 2 in each of the front lights that stays barely lit. The cargo section, 2nd, and 3rd rows all turn completely off though. :confused:
 

Mark20

Member
Dec 6, 2011
1,630
I suspect there is just a little voltage left across the light socket when the lights are off that is just enough to cause a couple of LEDs to turn on (diode goes into conduction). You can take the LED out and use a voltmeter to measure any voltage across the socket with it off.
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
sorry i would have updated this earlier right after i fixed it, but my internet went out Right after i posted this.
but anyways I went back out to the truck, all lights, all leds were still dimly lit up, i got in and started it, turned my gauge knob back up to fully lit, but not "on" (where lights stay on) and then shut the truck back off, and all of them went off..?

I have no clue why they stayed lit up? but for some reason they luckily turned off.
they are fully functional now, work exactly like they should, and good lord are they bright. I'll upload pictures tomorrow.
 

kardain

Member
Dec 16, 2011
557
Blckshdw said:
In the ones I made, there are 1 or 2 in each of the front lights that stays barely lit. The cargo section, 2nd, and 3rd rows all turn completely off though. :confused:

It's common with most vehicles. Nothing to worry about... Though you could try swapping the front to second row and vice versa to see if the problem follows.

If so, try a different resistor of the same value if you are using one.
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
TexazReece said:
I'm about to purchase this led kit for my TB will these do the same thing???

What kit?
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,599
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mark20 said:
I suspect there is just a little voltage left across the light socket when the lights are off that is just enough to cause a couple of LEDs to turn on (diode goes into conduction). You can take the LED out and use a voltmeter to measure any voltage across the socket with it off.

:crazy: Taking these things back out would probably be more trouble than it's worth. It's one of those things where I'm the only one who notices, especially because they're insanely bright when you open a door. :biggrin: :cool:

kardain said:
It's common with most vehicles. Nothing to worry about... Though you could try swapping the front to second row and vice versa to see if the problem follows.

If so, try a different resistor of the same value if you are using one.

I cut the boards to fit as custom as I could, and then siliconed them into place, otherwise I would probably try a swap. I initially thought it may be a resistance problem, but with 20+ LEDs sharing the same resistor, I guess it would have to be some type of internal resistance issue? :undecided: Oh well. I know it won't cause any problems, so most of the time I don't even think about it until someone brings them up. :tongue:

IMAG0099.jpg
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,599
Tampa Bay Area, FL
TexazReece said:
Oops my bad was half sleep.........
[EBAY]360424830455[/EBAY]

:eek: 12 bulbs? Well I guess that means you can do all your interior lights, cargo, license plate, side mirrors and front corners in one shot and have some for spares! :laugh: Of course, you'll need some clear corners too :wink:
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,599
Tampa Bay Area, FL
YOUNG said:
That is alot of bulbs, but i fear they wont be as bright as you want, the ones i ordered had 36 smd led and were only $2 and no shipping!
and i bought 5 of them, about $12 total for mine.

here is mine.

[EBAY]270889468705[/EBAY]

It depends on the types of LEDs used in the set. Your ad doesn't specify which ones (size) or what kind of wattage. I am assuming maybe 3mm in size, and single chip LEDs (obviously) The ones TexazReece is getting look to be 5mm ones with 3 chips in each, but I'm just guessing from the pics.
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
Blckshdw said:
It depends on the types of LEDs used in the set. Your ad doesn't specify which ones (size) or what kind of wattage. I am assuming maybe 3mm in size, and single chip LEDs (obviously) The ones TexazReece is getting look to be 5mm ones with 3 chips in each, but I'm just guessing from the pics.

could be very possible... i think he should buy them, then we can compare!
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
TexazReece said:
Oops my bad was half sleep.........
[EBAY]360424830455[/EBAY]

Those look WAY overpriced

YOUNG said:
That is alot of bulbs, but i fear they wont be as bright as you want, the ones i ordered had 36 smd led and were only $2 and no shipping!
and i bought 5 of them, about $12 total for mine.

here is mine.

[EBAY]270889468705[/EBAY]

I have 6 of these. I made a splitter for the cargo light so I could have 2 panels in the cargo light also.
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
Short Bus said:
I have 6 of these. I made a splitter for the cargo light so I could have 2 panels in the cargo light also.

i was going to order 6 just like you did, but it had a limit of 5 on them when i ordered mine. but i may be purchasing another one here soon if it will let me. Do u think 3 would fit in the cargo area? :biggrin:

Pictures coming soon!
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
YOUNG said:
Do u think 3 would fit in the cargo area? :biggrin:

I think it'll overlap a little, but it's doable. Maybe cut the housing so you can slide the panels closer to the sides.

0915112000.jpg


I started with a 12 LED bulb like this (not the same seller), but it just wasn't cutting it with the panels up front

[EBAY]170746401341[/EBAY]
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
I like the idea to cut the housing just a bit so they slide into the edges and stay put there too.. i have subs and that back cargo light takes a beating..
but the leds i bought actually had sticky backs, so i just stuck them to the reflectors.

I posted pictures in the Led Mod Thread, and im not double posting so go check that thread!
http://gmtnation.com/f33/led-mod-thread-944/
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
My panels had the tape also, but I didn't think it would make contact with enough of the reflector so I used zip-ties.
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
YOUNG said:
could be very possible... i think he should buy them, then we can compare!

well im going to order them and test them out:yes: once he relist them wish me luck
 

YOUNG

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
285
Short Bus said:
My panels had the tape also, but I didn't think it would make contact with enough of the reflector so I used zip-ties.

I thought about doing this, but i wanted to get them in! but i might ziptie them in the future when the tape doesnt hold at all.

TexazReece said:
well im going to order them and test them out:yes: once he relist them wish me luck

i hope they are good bulbs! and then maybe youll feed someone else's mod bug! :biggrin:
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
YOUNG said:
could be very possible... i think he should buy them, then we can compare!

Well I finally have some time off work to test these interior led kit. I will install tonight and post pivs of before and after tomorrow
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,079
Posts
635,582
Members
18,111
Latest member
cdotrun

Members Online

No members online now.