LED bulbs

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
After searching the threads I couldnt come up with a exact answer i was looking for so i thought i'd start this thread.

Im not too handy making my own led light mods and am looking for a place that sells LED bulbs. Does anyone know of a place online that sells quality products at a great price? Only place that seemed decent was superbriteleds.com.

And to make sure i have the right bulbs here is what i have figured.

Front parking and turn lights- 4(3757A)
Interior map lights- 8(194)
Rear Cargo light- 1(212-2)
Rear Brake, Reverse and Tail lights- 6(3157)

Other than headlights, have i missed any other bulbs or have the wrong bulb type? Is there anything i should know about what watt, style or anything in general before i buy the bulbs?

Thanks,
Kevin

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Also need 2x amber 194 for the front side marker (behind the reflector in the headlight)

There are two types of LED bulbs - standard and CK. The difference being which pins are power and ground. On my 06, the front turn/park (only need two of those) are standard... for the rear, brake is CK, turn and reverse are standard. For the brake, the brighter the better (7w works fine)..... you want people to see that you are stopping.

Putting a CK bulb in a standard socket will not allow it to function correctly and vice versa. A side effect could be a blown fuse. This video will help determine which socket style you need to buy bulbs.

[video=youtube;V8ONj-NJdjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ONj-NJdjA[/video]

As far as vendors, you have SuperbrightLEDS, V-LEDs, and Jetttstream (among others)... I personally prefer V-LEDs over SBL although the prices are a tad higher. Two pairs of their bulbs has been in my other car for 8 years and still shines as bright as day one.

One last caveat: if you get 3157 bulbs for the front due to not being able to find 3757, you will need to shave off the little nubs on the side of the base (circled in red below). 3157 has a wider nub that 3757, other than that they will interchange.

eKZMe.jpg

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I've had good luck with SuperbrightLEDS on my 97 Sierra. Haven't LED'ed the TB yet.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I used these for all the interior lights

[EBAY]320817781782[/EBAY]

I made a splitter and used 2 for the cargo light

0416112355.jpg

0915110637.jpg

and these for my license plate light

[EBAY]290645899393[/EBAY]

0111110606.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
when doing LED's for the outside lights.. dont you need some type of load resistor to counter balance the hyperflashing?.. i know if you do the flasher module that some of us lose cruise control... or since its a CK style bulb, you dont need load resistors?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
when doing LED's for the outside lights.. dont you need some type of load resistor to counter balance the hyperflashing?.. i know if you do the flasher module that some of us lose cruise control... or since its a CK style bulb, you dont need load resistors?

You use the SRCK bulb so they'll work, and you don't blow fuses, Yes you'll need load resistors (or flasher module) to fix the hyper flash and maybe the cruise control, but I'll leave any more than that to someone with more knowledge on LED's in those lights.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
You use the SRCK bulb so they'll work, and you don't blow fuses, Yes you'll need load resistors (or flasher module) to fix the hyper flash and maybe the cruise control, but I'll leave any more than that to someone with more knowledge on LED's in those lights.

thats what i thought... i know for the rears reverse lights, its just a simple swap and same for the 194 front side markers.. as i have leds in all of those sockets... i would like the brake lights in led as well... so i might look into the SRCK bulbs.. and just not mess with my turn signals to avoid the hyper flash

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
thats what i thought... i know for the rears reverse lights, its just a simple swap and same for the 194 front side markers.. as i have leds in all of those sockets... i would like the brake lights in led as well... so i might look into the SRCK bulbs.. and just not mess with my turn signals to avoid the hyper flash

IIRC you need a load resistor on the brake light so the cruise control will work.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Short Bus said:
IIRC you need a load resistor on the brake light so the cruise control will work.

Cruise works on mine with out needing load resistors on the brakes with both the OEM and electronic flasher (YMMV)... just needed load resistors on the turns so it prevented hyperflash.

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Actually i did mis-calculate. The front head light housing aside from the head lights only has a 194 bulb and a 3757A bulb per side.

Now the rear taillights in the TB has 3 lights. The top one is the tail light and brake light in one bulb. Will a LED bulb handle both functions? The middle light is a 3157 red bulb that handles the turn signal. The bottom is a 3157 that is the reverse light.

Hope i got it right this time.

Thanks,
Kevin

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
where did you buy the load resistors and what type? How did you hook them up?

Thanks,
Kevin

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
IAFF78 said:
Now the rear taillights in the TB has 3 lights. The top one is the tail light and brake light in one bulb. Will a LED bulb handle both functions? The middle light is a 3157 red bulb that handles the turn signal. The bottom is a 3157 that is the reverse light.

Yes, a 3157 LED bulb will handle park and brake functions in the top, as well as turn only in the middle since there isn't a park pin in the middle socket.

If you look at a non-LED bulb, there are two filaments inside... one for low output, one for high output. Each runs to an individual positive pin in the socket. The LED bulb works similarly, with a high output and low output function driven by whichever positive pin is active at the time.

My current setup, left to right is brake/park, turn, reverse (V-LED 3157 bulbs):
7aYbB.jpg

on edit: for your load resistor question see this page:

http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LED-p8795272-1-2.html

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
kardain said:
Cruise works on mine with out needing load resistors on the brakes with both the OEM and electronic flasher (YMMV)... just needed load resistors on the turns so it prevented hyperflash.

kardain said:
Yes, a 3157 LED bulb will handle park and brake functions in the top, as well as turn only in the middle since there isn't a park pin in the middle socket.

If you look at a non-LED bulb, there are two filaments inside... one for low output, one for high output. Each runs to an individual positive pin in the socket. The LED bulb works similarly, with a high output and low output function driven by whichever positive pin is active at the time.

My current setup, left to right is brake/park, turn, reverse (V-LED 3157 bulbs):
7aYbB.jpg

on edit: for your load resistor question see this page:

6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX WITH MOUNTING PLATES AND COVERS | 1 PAIR

So we can't change out the flasher for an electronic flasher or we will lose the use of our cruise control? So we have to run at least a pair of resistors inline to keep from hyper flashing?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
djthumper said:
So we can't change out the flasher for an electronic flasher or we will lose the use of our cruise control? So we have to run at least a pair of resistors inline to keep from hyper flashing?

I used both the OEM flasher in conjunction with Led bulbs. From July to October, LED in brake socket, OEM flasher in, cruise worked fine from Seattle to Spokane/Missoula and back. From November to current, an electronic flasher was put in place of the OEM one. It wasn't until I swapped LED bulbs to the turn signals that I needed to use resistors on the turn circuit only. .. The electronic flasher I purchased in July in prep for the bulb swap has hyperflashing issues even though it shouldn't... NAPA FTL. :mad:

There have been posts on the OS about people losing cruise with the OEM flasher after an LED swap, so in case-by-case scenarios, one may have to add resistors to the brake circuit.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Losing cruise control is a result of the fuse in the rear fuse block blowing if you don't use the correct led's in your main indicators...front and back. I battled an issue with my front park/indicators...turns out I have SRCK for the front as well, which, I've been led to believe, is very unusual.

To prevent the hyperflash, run a 3ohm load resistor if you're doing front and rear indicator led's or a 6ohm if you're just running either front or rear. I've had mine for a few years now without any issues.

You get the load resistors from the same vendor as the led's.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Matt said:
Losing cruise control is a result of the fuse in the rear fuse block blowing if you don't use the correct led's in your main indicators...front and back. I battled an issue with my front park/indicators...turns out I have SRCK for the front as well, which, I've been led to believe, is very unusual.

To prevent the hyperflash, run a 3ohm load resistor if you're doing front and rear indicator led's or a 6ohm if you're just running either front or rear. I've had mine for a few years now without any issues.

You get the load resistors from the same vendor as the led's.

might have to pick your brain the next time we get together.. i want to go this route over buying led tails as bulbs and a ohm load resistor are waaaay cheaper lol

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
I got all of my LEDs from Autolumination.com. Check out my gallery.

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Dude, the LED mods are sick. My fav has to be the under door mod to the drivers door. Really lights up the ground. I would like to see about mounting a set under the factory running boards for perimeter lighting.

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
IAFF78 said:
Dude, the LED mods are sick. My fav has to be the under door mod to the drivers door. Really lights up the ground. I would like to see about mounting a set under the factory running boards for perimeter lighting.

That is one of my top 'future' mods.

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
I just ordered all my signals and resistors etc, i ordered 2 3 ohm resistors and i just splice it into the GND wire and TRN wires that come in from the harness before the plug correct?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
SteelCityFan said:
I just ordered all my signals and resistors etc, i ordered 2 3 ohm resistors and i just splice it into the GND wire and TRN wires that come in from the harness before the plug correct?

If that's what Mike at JS told you, then that's the way to go. I have them, but at the moment I'm not going to crawl in the snow to look. Just make sure you have extra wire to lengthen the resistor wires and solder them rather than using butt connectors.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Steve A said:
How easy was it to fit 2 into the cargo light? I have the same exact lights in my truck, (working on the cargo light) Its a PITA to get the housing out.

Steve

I used the foam packing the panels are wrapped in as a spacer and zip tied them in place.

0915112000.jpg

0915112001.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Steve A said:
Well then 2 it is! I cant wait to get the lights out of the head liner.

Steve

Just remember if it doesn't work for some reason where you got the idea from.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
djthumper said:
Just remember if it doesn't work for some reason where you got the idea from.

Are you saying you shouldn't get ideas from the short bus?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Short Bus said:
Are you saying you shouldn't get ideas from the short bus?

At this point at least you are the driver. :biggrin:

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
I have two questions. The first is are CK bulbs required in both the turn and brake/tail lights if your replacing both? I only ordered one set of CK and one set of regulars so I think I might have screwed myself. Also the other question of you only run two leds and use a 3 ohm resistor will it still work?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
CK in the brake socket, standard in the turn.

A pair of 3 ohm resistors is needed if only changing front or rear... if both, two pairs of 3 ohm resistors (one for the front, one for the rear) or a single pair of 6 ohm.

--

I have a question for you guys. After installing switchbacks up front, when I depress the brake the park lights up front comes on dimly (both sides). Any idea for a fix that doesn't involve resistors on the brake/park circuit? I'm thinking a diode on the rear park wire perhaps?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
kardain said:
CK in the brake socket, standard in the turn.

A pair of 3 ohm resistors is needed if only changing front or rear... if both, two pairs of 3 ohm resistors (one for the front, one for the rear) or a single pair of 6 ohm.

--

I have a question for you guys. After installing switchbacks up front, when I depress the brake the park lights up front comes on dimly (both sides). Any idea for a fix that doesn't involve resistors on the brake/park circuit? I'm thinking a diode on the rear park wire perhaps?

Actually, it's the other way around. If you are installing front and rear LED indicators, use 3ohm resistors on the left and right sides. If you are only doing the rear, use 6ohm resistors on the left and right sides.

Regarding the front switchbacks, have you tried turning them around? If so, what was the result?

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
If I do the quad turns though to my understanding I would have to buy ck bulbs for the top thenn too because you put a ground jumper for two contacts on one side and add a power lead on the other side to get the dim running light on your middles so that would mean two positives on one side and two negatives on the other which to my understanding is how a ck bulb is wired. Also since I'm doing the quad brake and turn signals along with the quad runnings I would have to wire in another resistor since ill have 6 indicators

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Matt said:
Actually, it's the other way around. If you are installing front and rear LED indicators, use 3ohm resistors on the left and right sides. If you are only doing the rear, use 6ohm resistors on the left and right sides.

Regarding the front switchbacks, have you tried turning them around? If so, what was the result?

If I turn them around, they don't work as they are not on the right polarity.

As for the load resistor part, I respectfully disagree. By changing both front and rear on the same side, you are reducing the overall resistance of the circuit which would need to be counteracted with higher ohm resistors. By using a single 3 ohm on that side, it may not be enough to prevent hyperflash. A single 6 ohm pair, however, should supply enough resistance for the flasher.

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
Straight from Mike at JS himself..

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Hello.

First off, let's forget about resistors.

1. You are putting the wrong bulb in the top position. You need a bulb that has a base different than a 3157. This is a 3157-srck or 'ck' as I call them.

They are the only bulb that will work on a TrailBlazer in the top slot.

2. Your middle bulb needs to be a 3157 or 3057 depending how technical you get.

If you choose to have LEDs in your turn signals you need either 3-ohm or 6-ohm load resistors.

They install on the BLUE wire NEXT to BROWN wire. Ground the other side to the BLACK BOLT that is part of the bumper bracket seen when hatch is open.

if you have leds in the front OR rear (only 2 corners) you need (1) 6-ohm per side (2 total) I install these at the rear as mentioned above.

if you have leds in the front AND rear (4 corners - front and back) you need (1) 3-ohm load resistor per side (2 total) I install these at the rear as mentioned above.

DO NOT COUNT side markers or mirrors in any of the 2 or 4 corner evaulations.

I hope that clears up your setup.

You still need to buy the correct bulbs for the rear either from me or v-leds or autoillumination etc to get them to work correctly.

I am actually building new light boards (as a project) for guys on here so we will have QUAD setups at it will take ANY standard 3157 halogen or LED bulb and none of this special 3157-CK stuff (that I have anyway).

-Mike, TB owner and enthusiast
wink.gif

Back to my earlier question, do you think i will have to wire in another 6 ohm resistor besides the 3 ohm one because i will be using 6 turn signals once the quad blinker mod is done?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
No. By doing quads, treat the second turn as a side marker

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
Okay but will I have to buy a ck bulb for the turn since it now would have two grounds and two positive leads on one side after i mod the board?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Since you are adding pins to the socket, pin it as standard instead of CK. You may have to run another wire for the extra ground pin but don't have to buy new bulbs that way.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
Hey Guys,
I made it over here, finally after being harassed by MAY03LT.:biggrin:

Anyway, I need to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster. I'm just going to replace all of them.

What plugin LEDs are available for this (no resistor soldering required)?
What standard bulbs would I use and how many?
If I had to build them on my own, what LEDs should I use and where should I get them?

Thanks!

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
kardain said:
Since you are adding pins to the socket, pin it as standard instead of CK. You may have to run another wire for the extra ground pin but don't have to buy new bulbs that way.

Thanks for the info! That makes sense lol never thought of that!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mubai said:
Hey Guys,
I made it over here, finally after being harassed by MAY03LT.:biggrin:

Anyway, I need to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster. I'm just going to replace all of them.

What plugin LEDs are available for this (no resistor soldering required)?
What standard bulbs would I use and how many?
If I had to build them on my own, what LEDs should I use and where should I get them?

Thanks!

Glad to see another familiar face. :tiphat:

The stock bulbs are soldered to the board, so you can't get out of that one. Not sure on the standard ones, but hey, who wants those? :confused: :wink:

The details on my cluster mod can be found here for a reference. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.