Killing My Wheel Bearing/Hubs...

e-iowa-o

Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
OK.. I believe my problem boils down to needing an alignment.

When I purchased my XUV it was 3 yrs old, had 30k on it. 6 months or so later I put new Bilsteins all around, 3/4" spacer on the front and the biggest Geolanders that would fit on stock setup. Didn't get an alignment. It tracked fine going down the road so I didn't worry about it. Tires wore a bit more on the outsides but I just kept them rotated.

A couple years later left front started humming. I put the cheapo AM-autoparts.com hubs on the front. I figured I'd be good for a while. I made a couple long trips to Black Hills and Yellow Stone. No problems. last Summer I even flipped the tires on the rims to to change up the wear pattern to extend the use of those tires for another year or so. Still no alignment.

Both hubs are humming again. I had no more that 20k from changing tires/shocks/spacer to initial failure and again no more than 20k to having the same problem again.

I have another set of the cheapos on the shelf and I'm waiting for a warm (warmer) day to swap them out. I will get it aligned this time.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I agree. Anytime you change the resting height of the front by adding a lift spacer or lowering it, you change the toe-in and camber. Alignments are required. And cheaper than a set of tires.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
And make sure that you go to a shop that adjusts caster and camber. If they tell you our vehicles can't be adjusted, insist that they can or leave.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online