kill switch/ anti theft

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
hey guys i am looking to add a kill switch to my envoy. i just added some new rims and i dont need my truck to go missing. so i was wondering where is the best place to wire in a toggle switch so it cant be started. i know some guys say to wire it into the yellow wire under the dash or to wire it to the ground on the fuel pump. i was just wondering if there are any other options as i know those are well known places and can be found fairly easily.
thanks,
drew

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Why not a decent alarm with a starter kill?

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Wire a relay up as follows, 86 ground, 87 switch side of ignition, 30 car side of ignition and 85 the amp trigger from the radio, if you take the face off the truck will never start

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I forget which fuse it is atm but if you kill switch that whole circuit the PCM won't power up, the fuel pump won't prime, nothing except the auxiliary stuff like windows and radio will work.

I know this because my harness to the fuel pump went bad last fall and burned that fuse lol.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ghenny440 said:
Wire a relay up as follows, 86 ground, 87 switch side of ignition, 30 car side of ignition and 85 the amp trigger from the radio, if you take the face off the truck will never start

That's pretty slick.:thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
That's pretty slick.:thumbsup:

Except if he turns off the radio and the amp trigger shuts off....

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Sparky said:
Except if he turns off the radio and the amp trigger shuts off....

Thats why you use the STARTER wire it only gets power during crank no other time shutting off the ignition wire would shut off he truck

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Hell if you really wanted to be slick instead of the amp turnon you could use the highbeam switch

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I had a Subaru come into the shop where you had to turn the key to run and then tap the rear defrost switch in order for it to crank. Not sure what all was included in making it work that way but I thought it was cool.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Pretty much wired exactly as above except they used the defroster positive as a trigger for the relay

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Not a bad idea either...latching relay, soopah secret button to enable the starter via relay, and I'm sure there's a way to trigger the relay when you turn off/exit the truck? Sounds like a decent idea :yes:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I left something out of the last post I made.:redface:

After the defrost button was pushed, the car would crank when the key was turned to start. So it went key to run, tap defrost, then key to start. Otherwise key to start wouldn't crank.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I was thinking about all these and thought, these would suck because it would stop a remote start from working. But then I realized I'm an idiot and you would tap the remote start between the kill switch and the ignition.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
DDonnie said:
I was thinking about all these and thought, these would suck because it would stop a remote start from working. But then I realized I'm an idiot and you would tap the remote start between the kill switch and the ignition.

Wiring the relay is not hard so that it uses a momentary switch (like the rear defrost) to enable after there is power and then it's off until you key to run again. It's got power, hit the momentary, the relay closes and stays closed until power is off. Power off, relay opens again until power on AND momentary switch is pushed. I use this so that stuff shuts down when I turn off the car and isn't on when I restart. (edit to be more specific) - Actually, thinking about it now, not sure if this would work as I don't know if the power is dropped when starting. I believe that it is.

I know the circuit well, but not enough about the truck. Anyone with more knowledge care to comment?

In the mean time, can anyone be more specific on which wire (wires, where, etc) to tap or split and their locations for a decent cut off switch?

View attachment 33913

EDIT: I guess if you wanted to do a 2 hand start, you could get power to both the switch and the incoming side of the relay from a IGN circuit. Those would be on during cranking. I can't see it working another way.

Attachments

• coil-single.jpg
    coil-single.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 22

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online