Jim-1, Deer- 0

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Happened on the way to work this morning.

IMG_20201218_091354144.jpg

Now I have something to do over Christmas break. Damage is not as bad as it looks. I just need to see if I also need a header panel. Based on how the right headlight is now looking for worms, I probably will.

I think I'm just going to do the grille and headlight(s) for now and tackle the fender and bumper parts in the Spring when I can paint them.

HoHoHo!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
First time I can say, and actually mean, that should buff right out with some elbow grease.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Troll the U-pull yard(s) and if you're lucky, find a same colour bumper along with the other parts.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Troll the U-pull yard(s) and if you're lucky, find a same colour bumper along with the other parts.
The U-Pull yards are few and far between in southwest VA. Being in a wheelchair or walker makes it that more difficult.

Wish I could, though. Used to haunt those places when I was a kid in NJ, many moons ago.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
OK. FedEx brought me a box today. Got the header panel and grille. Headlights should be here tomorrow.

My original grille had the chrome cross bars. I was going to eventually paint it satin black, as it was the only piece of chrome on the vehicle. I went ahead and ordered the part unpainted.

Since the part is already satin black, I want to use it as is. It's made of ABS. Do I need to clear coat it to protect it or is it good to go as it sits?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it's fine as-is. I still have mine from the 02 that I transferred to the 07 and it hasn't discoloured or anything.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Long shot question Jim. Did you know a Bob Harrison (r.i.p. 2003) near Tampa Florida? He passed several months after having a bad stroke in August of 2003. I have been meaning to ask each time I see your name, but my fingers forgot to type the question. If so I probably met you in the '80's and in 1997 coming back Promise Keepers in D.C. where he and I rode together.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Long shot question Jim. Did you know a Bob Harrison (r.i.p. 2003) near Tampa Florida? He passed several months after having a bad stroke in August of 2003. I have been meaning to ask each time I see your name, but my fingers forgot to type the question. If so I probably met you in the '80's and in 1997 coming back Promise Keepers in D.C. where he and I rode together.
Redbeard, I’m not the guy your looking for. Sorry, but I wish I could have helped.

Reactions: Redbeard

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I think it's fine as-is. I still have mine from the 02 that I transferred to the 07 and it hasn't discoloured or anything.
After I posted the question I tried to find info about automotive ABS. Consensus is that its UV resistance is poor, but some places mentioned a co-polymer that is molded to some parts that makes it appropriate for exterior use. For under $30, I’m not going to sweat it.

Now, what to do with the bow tie from the old grille?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now, what to do with the bow tie from the old grille?

I Plasti-Dipped mine on the TB. The Avalanche I used carbon fiber appliqué. Kinda favour the carbon fiber.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Finally got some decent weather. Pulled off the old grille, header panel and lights. New stuff went on with a little finagling. Decided to continue the monochrome effect by painting the bow tie with Rust-oleum Hammered Silver.

IMG_20201229_162430545.jpg
Going to replace the fender, splash guard, crash bar and bumper cover in the Spring. I'll start canvassing the wrecker yards for color matching parts.

Also got a bonus. Anyone missing one of these?:
IMG_20201229_164847437.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think everyone runs thru batches of those 10mm.. I will get down to 1 or 2, then all of a sudden I have a dozen or 2.. Why is it always the 10, or 13, or 15? Mostly the 10 thou.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online