Is the Walker muffler the quietest aftermarket?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Getting a few holes in the stocker so it's time to replace it. I would like to keep the noise absent like the OE and if that's what needed I may need to bite the bullet. However I would like to save a few $$$ and if the aftermatket mufflers are as quiet then I will give it a try.

Looks like the Walker is my best bet so far so I'm after some opinions.

I would also like to possibly change out the resonator for a cleaner looking unit. Something with a more low-profile design that performs the same task.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Here's another avenue I wanted to look at.....how different is the exhaust on the 06+ models? Did they go to a 2.5" piping over the 2.75" on the older models?

I see there is a flex coupling on the newer models and the muffler is slightly skinnier, but do they mount up the same with little or no mods? Reason I ask from a fuel economy standpoint, wouldn't the 2.5" work better as far as scavenging is concerned? If GM went to a 2.5" on a motor that breathes better there must be a reason for it..assuming the piping is smaller.

If anyone owns both new and old 4.2 platforms please post some pics....thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I bashed the heck out of my OEM, and put in two kinds of smaller "performance" mufflers for experiments. Horrible noise and drone and I hate making unnecessary noise on quiet backcountry trails, especially with wildlife. Ripped each one of them out and ended up with a wagner that still looks like a photon torpedo but it's a tiny bit smaller than OEM.

The resonator should just depart the vehicle and get left in the trash. It does almost nothing, and there are MANY threads here and the OS about "resonator delete". It's a way I can instantly see if a GMT360 owner is an enthusiast or not.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
the roadie said:
The resonator should just depart the vehicle and get left in the trash. It does almost nothing, and there are MANY threads here and the OS about "resonator delete".

Yeah, I know...I don't like the look of it either but I surely don't want any drone. Based on the vids it still seems quiet so if makes no difference at cruise then I may still do it. I also have thought about going with a smaller diameter resonator or resonator tip, would surely look better than what's on it.

This is what I was considering along with a slightly angled tip: Vibrant Performance

the roadie said:
It's a way I can instantly see if a GMT360 owner is an enthusiast or not.

Ha...you're correct. After all this time I should have done something about it by now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online