is my power steering pump going bad???

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
so I have talked to ALOT of people and can't get a straight answer...since I got the truck, the power steering pump has made a buzzing noise and a loud whirring/scrapping noise on start up but the loud noise goes away after it warns up and the buzzing is there no matter what. i have had a rough idle with no cel or jumping tach, and when I'm going slower than 5 mph it lurches slightly. I checked the fluid and it was really low so I refilled it and it hasnt dropped since and I can't find a leak. now this just started two days ago, I feel slight friction and hear a weird noise when turning the steering wheel, it sounds like rubbing two sheets of vinyl together like sweatpants sort of.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
blackout51 said:
so I have talked to ALOT of people and can't get a straight answer...since I got the truck, the power steering pump has made a buzzing noise and a loud whirring/scrapping noise on start up but the loud noise goes away after it warns up and the buzzing is there no matter what. i have had a rough idle with no cel or jumping tach, and when I'm going slower than 5 mph it lurches slightly. I checked the fluid and it was really low so I refilled it and it hasnt dropped since and I can't find a leak. now this just started two days ago, I feel slight friction and hear a weird noise when turning the steering wheel, it sounds like rubbing two sheets of vinyl together like sweatpants sort of.

That sound you hear in the column is alright, but your pump is most likely done. They get worn out over time and all and being low wouldn't have helped it. Prior owner probably never checked it and all... I would just go ahead and throw a new pump on it, they aren't all that expensive.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
X2. If you do this yourself, be sure to flush the system before taking the old pump out. Another suggestion, get an ACDelco rebuilt pump. I had a Cardone and it made the same noise out of the box.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mooseman said:
X2. If you do this yourself, be sure to flush the system before taking the old pump out. Another suggestion, get an ACDelco rebuilt pump. I had a Cardone and it made the same noise out of the box.

how do I flush the system?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
XL's instructions are good except that you do it before taking out the old pump. That way, the new pump will not see the old fluid at all. Then you suck out all the fluid and change the pump. You won't even need to flush it with the new pump. Just refill and bleed the air out of the system.

I wrote these up as a more point by point for the flush:
http://gmtnation.com/f30/power-steering-fading-pump-steering-rack-4433/#post85872
In that same thread, there is a reference to the tool you need for the pulley. Might also be available at your local parts store as a free rental.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
XL's instructions are good except that you do it before taking out the old pump. That way, the new pump will not see the old fluid at all. Then you suck out all the fluid and change the pump. You won't even need to flush it with the new pump. Just refill and bleed the air out of the system.

http://gmtnation.com/f30/power-steering-fading-pump-steering-rack-4433/#post85872
In that same thread, there is a reference to the tool you need for the pulley. Might also be available at your local parts store as a free rental.

Well I thought I explained it clear enough. The new pump was installed right after draining the fluid from the old. The new pump never saw the old fluid. It all came out the cooler line.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm an idiot. :banghead: It doesn't make any difference if you flush using the old or new pump as the return line is disconnected and going to the container in both cases. Took me a little while to think it through. In fact, your method is better as it also bleeds the system and you don't need to empty and refill it again, saving a bit of fluid.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
I'm an idiot. :banghead: It doesn't make any difference if you flush using the old or new pump as the return line is disconnected and going to the container in both cases. Took me a little while to think it through. In fact, your method is better as it also bleeds the system and you don't need to empty and refill it again, saving a bit of fluid.

Hey I've felt like banging my head a few times as well. No worries. As far as fluid goes I went through one of those gallon jugs from the zone. I wanted to get it really clean. Just wish I Had used synthetic. Next time I guess.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mooseman said:

ok I ordered my pump from my local parts shop and they told me that cardone makes the ac delco pumps which I found weird but they said if it was messed up they would replace it so hopefully it works out, probably will be doing this job next weekend. is there anything else you guys know of that I should do?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not so bad when you get your parts locally but when it's from someplace like RockAuto, it's a PITA to get exchanged. Even then, it's no fun to do it over again. I don't think Cardone rebuilds pumps for ACDelco since the latter built them in the first place. I compared the Cardone to the ACDelco rebuilt unit and they had different seals.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mooseman said:
Not so bad when you get your parts locally but when it's from someplace like RockAuto, it's a PITA to get exchanged. Even then, it's no fun to do it over again. I don't think Cardone rebuilds pumps for ACDelco since the latter built them in the first place. I compared the Cardone to the ACDelco rebuilt unit and they had different seals.

yeah it's local and they said they would even swap the pulley for free so that helps even more but that's just what they told me and I wasn't sure

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online